Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:11:14 PM EDT
I bid on this on gunbroker, not expecting to win it at all given what I have seen similar looking Lugers going for. But I won it and now that it is in my hands, I love it.

But I admit I am a bit dumb on this firearm and don't really know what I have. I know I have a 1920. I know it is a DMW. I know that all the serial numbers mach, even one of the magazines, and I know that is desirable.

I paid $1200 for it.

Here is what the gunbroker ad said. But I do not understand what is uncommon about it. From minor poking around the net, the 4" 9mm barrel is pretty common no?

Up for bid today is this nice example of an uncommon variation DWM military/police Luger with 4" barrel chambered for 9mm. There are no import marks and the numbers match on everything down to one of the two magazines. This listing includes everything pictured including the pistol, two magazines, and E/655 marked takedown/loading tool as well as a new plano gun guard hard case.

The condition of this great pistol is pretty nice for a 96 year old service pistol. The right grip does appear to have some sort of putty near the top most likely for a more snug fit however they are not too dinged up and only show a small crack on the right grip near the putty. Much of the bluing remains to the metal with some of the usual scratching, handling marks, and holster wear. The bore is in nice shape with good strong rifling and just a bit of light frosting.

We had a hard time researching this one due to the rather uncommon nature of this pistol however we believe this to be a new production Weimar era military and police Luger. The right slide bears three ArA4 proof marks and it has the military style serial numbering which is correctly within the "a" suffix. There is what looks to be faint remnants of a unit marking on the grip strap but it is not possible to make out what it once read. Interestingly it does not have the magazine or sear safety that many of the police Luger's had.
View Quote

Pics from gunbroker:

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

That price seems OK to me, but I know nothing of the current market.

My high school buddy's dad had one, and I have no idea how much he paid for it, but after 65 years of inflation, I don't see $1200 as unreasonable for a good one with matching numbers.

Are you going to shoot it, or just admire it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
1920 is not the date of manufacture, it indicates the pistol is the property of the Weimar Republic.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1920 is not the date of manufacture, it indicates the pistol is the property of the Weimar Republic.
View Quote

Maybe not.

It might be one of the Lugers manufactured by DWM in 1920-21. If so it will have three ArA4 proofs on the receiver and it looks to have those though It's hard to make out.

At any rate it's a manufacturing date and likely a police gun.

This is what a 1920 "property marked" Luger would look like.....1920 over manufacture date.

In fact the 1920 mark is not really a property mark but more of a "allowed" mark applied under supervision of the Allied powers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice.

That price seems OK to me, but I know nothing of the current market.

My high school buddy's dad had one, and I have no idea how much he paid for it, but after 65 years of inflation, I don't see $1200 as unreasonable for a good one with matching numbers.

Are you going to shoot it, or just admire it?
View Quote

I shot it last night. Dead nuts accurate!!! And flawless function with the matching SN magazine. It jammed a few times with the second mag which is not in great shape. But the original mag is perfect! I am so happy with it
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Good.

They're fun, but wear a hat, because they throw the empties in unpredictable directions and you don't want one between your glasses and your eye.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe not.

It might be one of the Lugers manufactured by DWM in 1920-21. If so it will have three ArA4 proofs on the receiver and it looks to have those though It's hard to make out.

This is what a 1920 "property marked" Luger would look like.....1920 over manufacture date.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/59/p_standard/FJC122-S-CU20-H.jpg

In fact the 1920 mark is not really a property mark but more of a "allowed" mark applied under supervision of the Allied powers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not.

Correct. It does have the three ArA4 proofs. Is that why it is "uncommon"?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good.

They're fun, but wear a hat, because they throw the empties in unpredictable directions and you don't want one between your glasses and your eye.
View Quote

Two shots of my 50 fired yesterday hit me square in the glasses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/550701000/550701239/pix050238974.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/550701000/550701239/pix050238974.jpg

I can't say if it's "uncommon" or not.

If memory serves the 1920-21 DWM Lugers were not authorized to be manufactured by the allied powers overseeing the German arms industry at the time and they made DWM halt production.

I'm sure one of the Luger sites could clue you in on a lot more info than I can remember.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The one major fault of the Luger is the magazine runs out of ammo too fast.

Megger and Triple K both make magazines. I've never had a problem with
either of those in my Luger.

Dutch
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice gat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Everyone should own one in their lifetime.  I bought my first,  a 1911 Erfurt numbers matching,  except mag, for $900 last year from an individual.. local gun dealer said he would give $1400.  Yours is a little bit cleaner... I think you did well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top