Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2016 8:12:09 PM EDT
Not sure what it is. Ordered some GI M1 Carbine mags and they came in literally coated with some sort of black/dark grease. Is it cosmoline? Any tips on how to remove this?
I was wondering if boiling water and dish soap would be sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Not sure what it is. Ordered some GI M1 Carbine mags and they came in literally coated with some sort of black/dark grease. Is it cosmoline? Any tips on how to remove this?

I was wondering if boiling water and dish soap would be sufficient.
View Quote
yes, just oil the hell out of them afterwards

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Heat melts away the cosmo..

An oven, coat hangers, drip catcher.

Low heat, patience, vois la.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it old school....gasoline....

Just be careful....

It works awesome....
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just be careful....

It works awesome....
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
mineral spirits and heavy metal
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Some things I have used. A bunch of rags/paper towels to wipe off as much as possible. Foaming brake cleaner. Laying the items out in the hot sun and wiping away whatever softened up.

Generally my most effective method is to get an old metal dog bowl, or a good size pot from a second hand store. Boil some water and dump the parts in. Drain and scrub the parts frequently with a GI toothbrush. This may take a few cycles. I also find adding some Dawn dish soap to the boiling water helps.

Beware of rust forming quickly. Wipe off all water. Sometimes I blow the parts out with a compressor. If you are in a hurry, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and bake the parts in your oven to dry.

Some final thoughts,  I have a dedicated set of used cookware just for these kinds of things,  never use them for food again.  Bonus points can be had if you do it when you boss lady is out for the day,  don't invite and angry wife into your life.

Hope some find this helpful.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Brake Cleaner user here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mineral spirits and non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The stupid easy way is to put them in a disposable tin pan lined with newspaper and stick them in your oven at 200 or less degrees.  Most ovens have a 175 or 180is barely on setting
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
WD40...  Drop em in a container and let them soak.  Drink beer, come back later to clean mags.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just be careful....

It works awesome....

Yep.

Agree.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Paint thinner and elbow grease
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I use my brothers' automotive parts de-greaser, has a solvent in it that just melts and washes the stuff away.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Bath in low odor mineral spirits. I usually fill a paint roller tin and let then the parts sit overnight, the cosmo will literally melt away. After drying wipe down with WD-40.

This process has worked every time on even the thickest cosmo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just be careful....

It works awesome....

Yep.

Agree.

What I use, just I do it outside with a air hose also to blow it off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]

I just put stuff outside and let nature do the work for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Disassemble them and Put them in an aluminum plan and cover them with water. Heat the pan to almost a boil and watch the grease float to the top of the water. Take the parts out of the water, try not to burn yourself, and then wipe down the parts with your preferred lube and reassemble. Throw away the pan and water.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The stupid easy way is to put them in a disposable tin pan lined with newspaper and stick them in your oven at 200 or less degrees.  Most ovens have a 175 or 180is barely on setting
View Quote
This works!

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This works!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This works!  

If you are single it works great. If you are married it is a good way to become one with the couch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are single it works great. If you are married it is a good way to become one with the couch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This works!  

Yep, i cured some cerakote'd parts while the wife was away, but she clearly smelled the residuals afterward. Had to buy a new oven for her the next day. At least i now have a dedicated oven for projects in my shop now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I found this stuff works amazing and lubes too. Try it you'ii like it.
https://seafoamsales.com/deep-creep/
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been using one of these for years......lots of uses......
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I use mineral spirits.

I have them soak completely submerged for an hour or so. I then pull them out and bathe them in boiling hot water.

dry things up and give it a good coat of oil afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]
My father was issued weapons new in cosmoline, The went to the mess hall with bales of rags where the cooks had gallons of boiling water ready.

Remember dish soap contains salt so you might want to avoid that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I am not sure if there are various substances being used as cosmoene or if it just differs due to age or method of aplication . Likely both .

At any rate results will vary a great deal . I did a non issued yugo SKS  that worked fine with some paper towels , Q tips and a can of WD-40 .

I had a old enfield that looked just a bit dirty on the outside but everything inside and under the wood/in the wood had some kind of nasty crud that was a bitch and a half to soften/wipe off.

I am a fan of the wrapping it in paper towels/newspapers /black plastic and letting it sit in the sun or a closed up car in the sun . This method is not foolproof and not fat or complete but it is very easy and doesn't take much time .

The harder the stuff is the more heat is your friend . If a wood stock is involved solvents are not a great idea , mild heat (150-180F) is the way to go
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a two gallon clear pretzel can with gasoline for parts with cosmo.  Drop in the mags, cover with just enough gas and let sit overnight.  Slosh around in the morning and you're done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am a fan of the wrapping it in paper towels/newspapers /black plastic and letting it sit in the sun or a closed up car in the sun . This method is not foolproof and not fat or complete but it is very easy and doesn't take much time .

The harder the stuff is the more heat is your friend . If a wood stock is involved solvents are not a great idea , mild heat (150-180F) is the way to go
View Quote

I use this method. Disassemble, wrap, bag and hang on the clothesline. Sometimes more than a couple times.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Would a garage during August in Texas work?

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I use this method. Disassemble, wrap, bag and hang on the clothesline. Sometimes more than a couple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I also built a solar oven and that was awesome for getting the grease and oil out.  

Got to be careful though it can get way too hot.

For metal parts wipe off the excess grease then use Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner.

Put the parts in a tub, cover with foam, let it sit, scrub off with toothbrush, then oil parts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top