Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 7:22:03 PM EDT
I have a Type 99 Arisaka Type 99 that has a safety knob that had the key on the bottom of it sheared off and was repaired with a nail and some silver solder. Obviously, it doesn't work correctly and if engaged, it's a real bear to disengaged and will lock the bolt in the rifle.

I bought a replacement safety and it doesn't fit. The locking lug is about a 1/4" too far back to fit into the retainer in the firing pin. There's just no way it will ever lock in there.

I tried it in the bolt of my other Arisaka and it was the same fitment issues. The safety knobs from the two rifles will interchange with no problem. Both bolts are the later model, with the "drum" shaped cocking handle (as opposed to the tear-shaped earlier models).

Did the bolts in the earlier Type 99s differ from the later model's bolts or do I have something other than a Type 99 safety?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Note the difference in the locking lug location.

The "repaired" Type 99 safety.

I'm noticing a LOT of subtle differences in the safeties. It's a Type 38 safety, isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
All I know is I once tried to put a Type 99 safety in a Type 38 bolt and it was a no-go. Not even close so I suspect the opposite would be true.

There was a sporter-ised Type 38 carbine at my LGS that needed a safety and spring and they had a extra Type 99 complete bolt they asked me to try get up to snuff to be able to sell.

I ended-up ordering them a Type 38 safety and spring off eBay and it went right on. I just matched up the series of the rifle with the type of Type 38 safety (Teardrop) it used.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know is I once tried to put a Type 99 safety in a Type 38 bolt and it was a no-go. Not even close so I suspect the opposite would be true.

There was a sporter-ised Type 38 carbine at my LGS that needed a safety and spring and they had a extra Type 99 complete bolt they asked me to try get up to snuff to be able to sell.

I ended-up ordering them a Type 38 safety and spring off eBay and it went right on. I just matched up the series of the rifle with the type of Type 38 safety (Teardrop) it used.
View Quote

Yeah, got this off Ebay. They said it's for a Type 99, but it isn't for the one's I have, obviously.

I doubt they changed significantly over the years, so I assume this has to be a Type 38 part.It's the only other rifle that uses s similar saftey knob.

Guess I can use it for trade bait. They seem to be pretty rare.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top