Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2016 4:15:50 PM EDT
I found this 6.5mm Model 38 T.S. Moschetto Modello 91/38 Truppe Speciali Carcano today at my local pawn shop. I gave $100.00 OTD for it.

It's in very nice shape but with a bit of frecking on the metal.

Made by FNA-B (Brescia) likely in mid to late 1943.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I gave $100.00 OTD for it.

View Quote

GD it 1srelluc strikes again
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  What does your wife say when you come home w/ another toy?  Or do you bring them home as "lamp parts"?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.  What does your wife say when you come home w/ another toy?  Or do you bring them home as "lamp parts"?  
View Quote

Well he's only spent a total of $500 on all of his guns by looks of it so I'd imagine she doesn't notice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as the bills get paid and we don't want for much she does not mind a bit.

I also picked-up a 1990 Ruger 10-22 at the same time. Check this out as to how I can stretch a dollar.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/457928_Now_This_Is_How_You_Do_10_22.html&page=1&anc=-1

Jokes aside I know next to nothing about Carcanos so I can't even say if that was a good deal or not....I just liked it for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  As long as the bills get paid and we don't want for much she does not mind a bit.

I also picked-up a 1990 Ruger 10-22 at the same time. Check this out as to how I can stretch a dollar.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/457928_Now_This_Is_How_You_Do_10_22.html&page=1&anc=-1

Jokes aside I know next to nothing about Carcanos so I can't even say if that was a good deal or not....I just liked it for some reason.
View Quote

$100 for a Carcano isn't bad @ all.  Not as strong as a Mauser, but your model was intended for the 7.77.35mm cartridge that the Italians dropped b/c they figured it was a bad idea to change calibers in the middle of a war.  The Germans rebarreled 'em for 7.92x57mm & they worked fine.

I'd love to see a pic of your collection taken just before you go sailing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$100 for a Carcano isn't bad @ all.  Not as strong as a Mauser, but your model was intended for the 7.7mm cartridge that the Italians dropped b/c they figured it was a bad idea to change calibers in the middle of a war.  The Germans rebarreled 'em for 7.92x57mm & they worked fine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  As long as the bills get paid and we don't want for much she does not mind a bit.

$100 for a Carcano isn't bad @ all.  Not as strong as a Mauser, but your model was intended for the 7.7mm cartridge that the Italians dropped b/c they figured it was a bad idea to change calibers in the middle of a war.  The Germans rebarreled 'em for 7.92x57mm & they worked fine.

most carcanos were 7.35mm. If you ever run across a nice 7.35 hit me up, might help you turn a quick profit by selling it off to me :-) I love them. Took my grandfathers old one (sporterized :-( ) and had a fun day shooting 100 rounds with it. Nice shooting rifle, unfortunately not given much respect. I haven't hunted with it, but I would bet that from 50-150 yards it would make a mighty fine deer hunter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  most carcanos were 7.35mm. If you ever run across a nice 7.35 hit me up, might help you turn a quick profit by selling it off to me :-) I love them. Took my grandfathers old one (sporterized :-( ) and had a fun day shooting 100 rounds with it. Nice shooting rifle, unfortunately not given much respect. I haven't hunted with it, but I would bet that from 50-150 yards it would make a mighty fine deer hunter.
View Quote

My impression was they built or converted most of 'em to 6.5mm.  Only the early 38's were in 7.35mm, and my impression was they switched back to 6.5mm as the war progressed.  Be happy to be shown wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My impression was they built or converted most of 'em to 6.5mm.  Only the early 38's were in 7.35mm, and my impression was they switched back to 6.5mm as the war progressed.  Be happy to be shown wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  most carcanos were 7.35mm. If you ever run across a nice 7.35 hit me up, might help you turn a quick profit by selling it off to me :-) I love them. Took my grandfathers old one (sporterized :-( ) and had a fun day shooting 100 rounds with it. Nice shooting rifle, unfortunately not given much respect. I haven't hunted with it, but I would bet that from 50-150 yards it would make a mighty fine deer hunter.

That is pretty much what I took away from reading about them.

In fact that is how the Finns ended-up with most of the 7.35mm rifles. Due to the logistics of fielding two calibers during wartime it was felt it was better to stick with 6.5mm.

LOL....Seems the Finns felt the same and did not care for the "gift" Mussolini sent them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice find......

Hard to find model.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 1931 91/28TS made by Beretta. One of my first C&R purchases.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It's the gun that JFK is all I know about them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice find......

Hard to find model.
View Quote

I've looked at completed auctions on GunPorker and on some C&R sites like Empire Arms and I can't put a value on it. Any idea?

They made a bunch of them and I know many were turned into 7.92 rifles but you would think a couple 6.5s would show-up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You should check in with Gaetano Liberatore.  He runs the Carcano database, and can point you in the right direction.

Carcano Database

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should check in with Gaetano Liberatore.  He runs the Carcano database, and can point you in the right direction.

Carcano Database

View Quote

Yeah I checked that site right off the bat and it seems he sort of threw up his hands in despair too as it regards the Moschetto TS.

Have you ever taken a broom and begon to sweep the forest ? *Sigh* The Moschetto TS underwent constant minor modifications and alterations like no other Carcano, and I find it very difficult to gain an overview.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've looked at completed auctions on GunPorker and on some C&R sites like Empire Arms and I can't put a value on it. Any idea?

They made a bunch of them and I know many were turned into 7.92 rifles but you would think a couple 6.5s would show-up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice find......

Hard to find model.

$400-500
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$400-500
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice find......

Hard to find model.

$400-500

Thanks. At least now I don't feel like I got beat as it was just a impulse buy because I liked the lines of it.

Unlike other Italian rifles that have passed through my hands over the years I've really warmed to this one.

If it shoots OK it will go into my mil-surp deer hunting rotation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a nice one. The Carcano gets a bad rap, honestly - they're good rifles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well I think you threw me with the 7.7 reference. It's my understanding the 7.35 was made to overcome some inefficiencies with the 6.5 carcano, thus some 6.5 barrels were rechambered to 7.35 as well as new 7.35 barrels. Later though logistics and war made the decision to stick with the common supply of 6.5.
There of course are conversions to 8mm by Germans for their people's army. And if it recall some Japanese captures in some other uncommon caliber. But the latter two are rare to find.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well I think you threw me with the 7.7 reference. It's my understanding the 7.35 was made to overcome some inefficiencies with the 6.5 carcano, thus some 6.5 barrels were rechambered to 7.35 as well as new 7.35 barrels. Later though logistics and war made the decision to stick with the common supply of 6.5.
There of course are conversions to 8mm by Germans for their people's army. And if it recall some Japanese captures in some other uncommon caliber. But the latter two are rare to find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I threw myself w/ the 7.7.  I meant 7.35 & corrected my post once you put up the correct caliber.  Seems the Fascisti sent most of the 7.35mm rifles to Finland.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I threw myself w/ the 7.7.  I meant 7.35 & corrected my post once you put up the correct caliber.  Seems the Fascisti sent most of the 7.35mm rifles to Finland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think it was 300k went to finland and only 400k were made or something like that. Don't recall off-hand but it was majority of them. I like mine. Very minimal kick and i'm guessing another reason for people complaining about them is they don't know you have to bury the front sight to where the tip just disappears at the bottom of the V rear sight when you're shooting at 100 yards. once you figure that out, they are pretty darn accurate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top