Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2015 12:03:21 AM EDT
Mailed my app in yesterday...  How long can I expect to wait for it to show up in my mailbox?  I had one before but let it expire last Feb because I was spending my $$$ on other interests like restoring my 1980 Corvette...  Well, I've got all the last pieces to finish the Vette so it should be "perfect" about the time my new C&R gets here...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I had my renewal in just less than 2 weeks.
In fact, I was surprised that it came back before my carry permit renewal that was sent at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had my renewal in just less than 2 weeks.
In fact, I was surprised that it came back before my carry permit renewal that was sent at the same time.
View Quote

Thanks for the response.  I hope mine comes back that quickly, but since it is a "new" application it might take longer than a renewal...  although maybe the fact that I've had one not that long ago might speed things up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
For me, it was 9 days from the time my payment posted.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I mailed one in back in March and it took me close to 60 days.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Mailed one in mid November and got it back in about a month (yesterday). CC was charged within a couple days of mailing it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I applied for mine around August last year and I got it in about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweet!  They debited my card today...

BTW, where in Iowa?  My parents still live up there in the spring/summer/fall...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mailed one in mid November and got it back in about a month (yesterday). CC was charged within a couple days of mailing it.
View Quote

Not too bad...  I mailed it on 12/7 and I see it debited from my account today 12/14.  So hopefully by mid January depending on if the Holidays slow things up or not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Along the same lines, when should one expect to get their renewal notice in the mail?  Just realize that mine expires at the beginning of February and I haven't seen anything yet?  Do I need to start calling?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BTW, where in Iowa?  My parents still live up there in the spring/summer/fall...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Des Moines
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Des Moines
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Des Moines

I grew up in Ames where my parents still live (well, and my brother too, but he's a total dumb@$$ who I don't talk to) in the warmer months then after going to Iowa State a few years after an abortive attempt to find work in the Bay Area I moved to West Des Moines (Valley Junction area) in 1990 and was there up until the flood of 1993, then I moved to the south side of DSM near the airport and then in 1995 I bought a house on the NE side.  I finally got my opportunity to escape in 2000 and I moved to the Austin, TX area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Along the same lines, when should one expect to get their renewal notice in the mail?  Just realize that mine expires at the beginning of February and I haven't seen anything yet?  Do I need to start calling?
View Quote

You should get it any day, if I remember right when mine expired last Feb I got the renewal notice about 60 days prior.  I just blew it off because my money interest was going into restoring my Corvette (and then buying a 2nd one) instead of buying guns at that point...
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You still just send in the 7CR and citizenship verification form?

I've been thinking about getting a C&R license again.  Not sure what all I'd use it for but it'd be nice to avoid the $20 transfer fees on something that is eligible around here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You still just send in the 7CR and citizenship verification form?

I've been thinking about getting a C&R license again.  Not sure what all I'd use it for but it'd be nice to avoid the $20 transfer fees on something that is eligible around here.
View Quote

Citizenship verification form?  I didn't send that in...  I just downloaded and printed the PDF of the 7CR from BATFE's web site, filled it in both the BATFE and CLEO copies, stuffed them in envelopes, addressed, stamped and mailed...  Hopefully that is enough.  If not I expect I will be contacted by BATFE letting me know what additional red tape I need to comply with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Still waiting...  Haven't got either the packet or the license.  They came separately last time I got one.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mailed one at the same time and received mine yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still nothing here.  Maybe Monday...

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Mailed my renewal in Oct and got it two months later. This was my third renewal and took the longest by far. Last 2 took 2-3 weeks
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, it will be 1 month since mailed tomorrow and 3 weeks since my CC was charged...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I got a letter from BATFE on Monday saying I forgot to explain my 'yes' answer for Item 24A on a separate piece of paper...  I answered 'yes' to that question about whether I've previously had an FFL because I had a C&R FFL03 from 2/2013 to 2/2015 that I let expire...  So anyway I sent a letter back to them explaining that and hopefully that will be enough for my application to proceed...

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Still nothing.  No response back about my letter.  I am thinking maybe I should call the lady at BATFE that sent the letter to make sure she got it and see if there is anything else she needs.

It is my understanding that having had a C&R FFL03 previously and letting it expire should not be grounds for them to refuse to issue a new license at a later date.  I can't think of any other legitimate reason that they could deny my application although I know BATFE is under a lot of pressure from the Obama administration to cut down on as many FFLs as possible.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#22]
The time to really start worrying is when you get a refund.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The time to really start worrying is when you get a refund.
View Quote

It wasn't in the mail on Saturday.  I think I'm going to call and ask if they need anything else on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Still nothing.  Starting to get worried.  Although, like I said, I can't think of any legitimate legal reason they could deny my application...

Has anyone had them ask for additional information?  How long did that add to the process?

I wonder if they still need additional information if they will write me again.  I guess I will have to call the lady at BATFE that sent me the letter and see if she has everything she needs.  I really hate to bother her, but I'd rather get this straightened out sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Worry when you get a refund in your account, till then just wait it out. My experience with getting a hold of ATF has been lack luster to say the least. Usually by the time they respond, if they respond, I have already gotten an answer form a 3rd party source or figured it out for myself.

Of course they are prompt when they want to do an audit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]
No license in the mail but no refund in my account either...  So still waiting...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Just saw you said you received the letter on Monday the 11th of January.  When did your response go out in the mail?  Following day?  If so give them till the 1st and then call.  It shouldn't take 3 weeks to fix that issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just saw you said you received the letter on Monday the 11th of January.  When did your response go out in the mail?  Following day?  If so give them till the 1st and then call.  It shouldn't take 3 weeks to fix that issue.
View Quote

Looking at the thread it appears I mailed it 1/13...  So I should give them till the 2nd or 3rd?  That'd be 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah I'd give them 3 weeks time to sort it out.  I'd basically treat it as though they have to put it back through the queue all over again but certain parts could be expedited.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah I'd give them 3 weeks time to sort it out.  I'd basically treat it as though they have to put it back through the queue all over again but certain parts could be expedited.  
View Quote

Fair enough...  I'm having trouble being patient...  Like that is any surpise given this thread is on page 2!  I don't even necessarily have anything in particular in mind I'd like to add to my collection, it just drives me a little crazy when I see something on "that gun auction site that shall not be named on arfcom" and I can't bid on it unless I want to pay a transfer fee and mess with arranging things with an FFL to do the transfer...
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
12/10/15 Mailed C&R Ap (not renewal)

12/15/15 ATF Bank Charges show up online

** Christmas & New Year Holidays

1/14/16 C&R License shipped.

Not sure when it arrived in my mail box (1/16 or 1/18), as I was at the 2016 Shot Show for a week. Came home and it was in my pile of mail.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
12/10/15 Mailed C&R Ap (not renewal)
12/15/15 ATF Bank Charges show up online
** Christmas & New Year Holidays
1/14/16 C&R License shipped.

Not sure when it arrived in my mail box (1/16 or 1/18), as I was at the 2016 Shot Show for a week. Came home and it was in my pile of mail.  
View Quote

Hmmm...  I mailed mine a few days before yours your charges showed up like a day or two after mine...  So I'm probably delayed at least 2 weeks so far by forgetting to include a letter about the Item 24A 'yes' answer.  No refund as of a few minutes ago when I checked my account.  I called this morning and left a message for the lady at BATFE who sent me out the letter asking for more information.  It will be interesting if she calls me back or if my license shows up or I get a refund in my account or what.  I'm wondering if they refund me and consider my application "abandoned" for some reason (like didn't get my letter or it didn't answer all their questions or something) whether I can send in a new application right away or if I have to wait or if I am just plain SOL forever.  I can't see how they could do that w/o some kind of explanation at least...  but it's the government and they can do pretty much whatever they want I guess.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Time to do the happy dance...  My license showed up in the mail today...  of course the same day I called!  Dohh...
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Time to do the happy dance...  My license showed up in the mail today...  of course the same day I called!  Dohh...

View Quote

Go figure right!

I need to get off my butt and submit for mine.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:05:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Congrats!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Congrats!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

The lady from BATFE called me back today...  she was very nice...  I told her I had received my license in the mail after I had called and that everything was good...  Thanked her for calling me back and apologized for wasting her time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top