Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2015 11:44:35 AM EDT
Well if no one else is going to mention it, what are you thoughts on the recent approval by Obama for sale of 1911s out of the CMP

Second, I've heard that they must ship to an FFL, I don't know if that's true but I've seen it, I hope the CMP accepts C&R on these guns.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Prolly at least 1-2 years before anyone gets one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And once they start going on sale; a-holes like y'all will hoard them...

I know I will...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know I will...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I will...

Not a hoarder, collector

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not a hoarder, collector

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/m1fun009_zpsfe0761ed.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/m1fun009_zpsfe0761ed.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I will...

Not a hoarder, collector

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/m1fun009_zpsfe0761ed.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/m1fun009_zpsfe0761ed.jpg</a>

Eta thought it was GD lol
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll believe it when I see it; I simply don't trust this administration.  I believe they will do anything in their power to stop handgun sales to the public.

Now the next administration - that might be a different story altogether.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll believe it when I see it; I simply don't trust this administration.  I believe they will do anything in their power to stop handgun sales to the public.

Now the next administration - that might be a different story altogether.
View Quote

Yeah, but this was not something they wanted, it was part of a larger bill.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
They BETTER be C&R
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
They will be transferred through FFL only.  And the law states that the Secretary of Defense is 'authorized' to release them to the CMP.  Nothing says that it's mandated.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Typically the Secretaries will go along with the Congress on this type of authorization. Why ? Because the law is included with the annual Defense Authorization Bill. You don't want to piss off those who control your funding. You also don't want to burn political capital on a issue that has already been signed into law.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Typically the Secretaries will go along with the Congress on this type of authorization. Why ? Because the law is included with the annual Defense Authorization Bill. You don't want to piss off those who control your funding. You also don't want to burn political capital on a issue that has already been signed into law.
View Quote

'Typical' does not seem to describe this administration's Secretaries.
SECDEF Ash Carter seems pretty solid, though.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope for our sake you are right!  If you are right, then the time frame being discussed is about 12 to 24 months after the date the  bill was signed into law.  

So around November of next year or the year after.

I'll add that CMP has done a great job of ferreting out 30-06 ammo from all over (Greece was a major source); hopefully they will start doing the same for 9mm and 45 ACP soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'm hoping it comes to fruition. I've had the money put aside for a couple of 1911's waiting for this. Hope I put aside enough.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of condition?  I would expect they are beat to hell and back.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They BETTER be C&R
View Quote

My friend carried one through 85 before they switched to Beretta.  Do we know what years these were made? Seems everyone thinks they are going to get a mint WWII or Korean war era 1911... Not likely.

If these are the crap my friend carried, then no.. they will and should not be C&R IMO. There are rules that don't make sense to me and you... but rules nonetheless. CMP shouldn't get a free pass while every other manufacturer or retailer gets the shaft. That isn't the American way. I love CMP, don't get me wrong.. And I love the way they do business.

IMO.. I think the Gooberment should just be handing them out to tax payers as tax refunds when you check the couple boxes that say "I am not insane" and "I paid too much this year". But that is a whole different discussion. Keep in mind we paid for them already and will pay again!!!

CMP does sell other non-C&R stuff, right? (thought I saw some but not interested in those).

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

As mentioned in my other post, I had a friend who carried one with the MP's in the early 80's. They joked about the poor shape they were then. They were old and beat.. And "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn."

The berettas they got in 86 were much better.

That said, he also said he is dying to get one again. So, nostalgia will be the marketing that sells these.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
want want want want want want want want....you get the idea
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I think you misunderstand. If there is a ship to FFL requirement, it should have C&R included. Ideally we would want them all to ship direct like garands.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178899

Look there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm hearing these will be mostly be arsenal rebuilds. The rarer models will remain original and sold at auction.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not too excited unless they are dirt cheap, which is not likely.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]
The practical effect wil be to put a damper on the rapidly escalating prices of WW2 1911's. I'm not expecting much from the actual guns sold by the CMP.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm hearing these will be mostly be arsenal rebuilds. The rarer models will remain original and sold at auction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed - just like most of the CMP Garands which were re-built at some point.  You might find a WW I frame with a 1960s era slide and other updated parts added over time, then arsenal re-parked.  

That's just how the issue guns were when they were retired.  Still decent shooters though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They BETTER be C&R
View Quote

The last USGI M1911A1 was made in 1945 so yes................they are all C&R.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The practical effect wil be to put a damper on the rapidly escalating prices of WW2 1911's. I'm not expecting much from the actual guns sold by the CMP.
View Quote

It didn't work that way with either the carbines or the 03's.  It just increased demand across the board.  it brought new people into the game.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I just received an email from CMP sales.

An update on the 1911's

The NDAA 2016 has passed.  We have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s.  We will update our customers as we know more.  Please do not email or call with questions regarding the 1911s.  Our systems are overloaded.

Apparently there are a bunch of 1911 collectors out there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad texted me about it yesterday all excited and stuff wanting to know how to submit his order for some
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They BETTER be C&R

Guess I missed where these are only A1's. True? If so, bueno.. Didnt know there were that many left out there in storage. Gooberment sits on them this long.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Guess I missed where these are only A1's. True? If so, bueno.. Didnt know there were that many left out there in storage. Gooberment sits on them this long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They BETTER be C&R

I am thinking they're all lumped into the A1 category now.  That said when I was in an MP company we had a whole Christmas tree rack of .45's.   We had a handful of 1911's that were rebuilt as A1's short of the frame cuts, ie arched mainspring housing, new plastic grips, and reparked and probably all new springs and guts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Does the authorization specifically limit sales to M1911's and M1911A1's? Does it include all surplus service pistols such as revolvers? I have little interest in mix master rebuilt M1911A1's.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I really do need to jump through the hoops so I can order one or two rattle-traps when they hit the market.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does the authorization specifically limit sales to M1911's and M1911A1's? Does it include all surplus service pistols such as revolvers? I have little interest in mix master rebuilt M1911A1's.
View Quote

The language, as passed specifically names them as Model 1911 and 1911A1 .45 caliber pistols. It will be a while.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope these drive down overall 1911 prices enough where I can get a nice 1911 at a reduced price.  I'd always had an affinity for the Sistema...
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hope these drive down overall 1911 prices enough where I can get a nice 1911 at a reduced price.  I'd always had an affinity for the Sistema...
View Quote

Highly doubt that it will drive down the price of the bringback, early DCM, or any of the early arsenal rebuild 1911's.

The ones the CMP will sell are likely going to have been rebuilt MANY times with post-war replacement parts and will be heavily worn in a lot of cases, and the nice original ones they do get are going to bring top dollar.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The language, as passed specifically names them as Model 1911 and 1911A1 .45 caliber pistols. It will be a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that.  Too bad they excluded the 38 cal revolvers they probably have!  Not to mention that if it had simply said "handguns" it could have eventually applied to M-11s (Sig 228) and M-9s (Beretta 92s).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top