Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 2:30:16 PM EDT
Similar to the post below. 1962 P38. I messed with it today, and I know it had a steel upper and an aluminum frame. You could really feel the difference. The seller is asking $315 for it, but I don't think its a huge steal because its post war and half of it is aluminum. I'm hoping the masses here can educate me on if its a good deal or not.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Similar to the post below. 1962 P38. I messed with it today, and I know it had a steel upper and an aluminum frame. You could really feel the difference. The seller is asking $315 for it, but I don't think its a huge steal because its post war and half of it is aluminum. I'm hoping the masses here can educate me on if its a good deal or not.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/20151005_140524_zpsfuqzzz9i.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/20151005_140519_zpsfnhp3und.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/20151005_140559_zpsdhtgr7bh.jpg

View Quote

It's a P1 not P38. Grips aren't original which hurts the value.   Price is about fair market.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
p1 grips can be had for cheap all day. (http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/WALTHER-P1-GRIPS-USED-23p2874.htm)  Keep the woods on it. $315 is very fair
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the slide is a replacement #407 while the frame last three looks 420, that and the aftermarket grips I'd pass at $315.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
"It's a P1 not P38. Grips aren't original which hurts the value. Price is about fair market".

Look at the slide.  It's a P-38.
Contrary to popular belief, Walther made the P-38 pistols up until the design was retired in 1995.

After the War, the aluminum framed models marked "P-38" were made for the German police and for foreign military and police sales as well as commercial sales.

The "P1" marked guns were nothing more then the P-38 marked for use by the West German military who designated it as the Pistole One or...P1.
This is similar to the commercial Colt Government Model .45 and the USGI Model 1911.  Same gun, one commercial, one military issue.

The slide appears to be a replacement.
The frame has the later bolt that was installed to give the locking block a steel surface to run on after the aluminum surface was found to wear on high round count guns.
However, the slide is a non-heavy reinforced slide from an earlier time.

As above, price is about market.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As Dfariswheel wrote, P1s were for the military and for police use, P38s for civilian and police use. The slide has German BWB Abnahme stamps which were done by the military but also as a favor to police. However, often overruns ended up in the Bundeswehr arsenals. It has the Bw stamp which is the Bundeswehr property mark but the B seems to be thee wrong way?!
The gun was restamped with the serial numbers but they do not seem to match. For each lot of P1 there were non-serial numbered spare parts sent along. The parts used to rebuild this gun are used, so just put together from disfunctional guns that had been fired enough to lead to failure of some parts, those were usually the slide or the frame. It has the reinforced take down lever.

Because it appears that the gun was rebuilt by the military from used parts, while new parts were available, would make me shy away from this gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top