Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2015 4:04:28 PM EDT
My neighbor knows I work on Ammo Cans so he gave me what appears to be a WWII Red 20 MM Ammo can.  The Gasket is shot (Outside 18" x 9", inside 17 1/2" by 8 1/2") but I need a new one.  Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?  I have found some replacements online but I think they are for a newer version.

Any insights are appreciated!  And please enjoy the photos!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice ammo can. I was not aware of that model, now I have to look for one.

I wonder why it was painted red as the original color seems to be gray. How many 20mm rounds does it hold?

I don't know if it would be helpful, but maybe you could try an auto parts store or home improvement store for gasket material. You will probably have to find something you can cut to fit.

I have been collecting and messing with WW2 .30 and .50 cans for some time along with other US and foreign models. I have been lucky that all but one has had a good seal. I have been wanting to replace it but other projects have been higher on the list.

Cool project. Please post your results.

I often wish that this site had a dedicated militaria forum. Something all inclusive of all time periods so it would not be a dead forum.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Went to remove some rust, beat up the paint to take a new coat and uncovered some interesting markings.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
So, actually, while built as a 20mm ammo can, your can was used to house 6 M504A2 Variable Timed fuzes, with self destruct...proximity fuzes, used in, I would guess, either the 3" 50cal or 5" 38 projectiles....
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input 98Kguy, that is a neat bit of history.

Well, I've finished the repainting job and now just need to track down a gasket.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I've repaired several ammo can seals using sheet rubber, cut to fit.  Worked very well.  Search Amazon or Grainger for something like this:  

http://www.amazon.com/Nitrile-Commercial-Grade-Rubber-Length/dp/B006H54E0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444482291&sr=8-3&keywords=sheet+rubber
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard of using a bead of RTV in the lid to create a new seal for .30 and .50 cans, I don't see why it wouldn't work for this application.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the input, I was thinking of cutting out a gasket from rubber so that's perfect.

I've heard about a place locally that might be able to help me out.  But I greatly appreciate the assistance!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard of using a bead of RTV in the lid to create a new seal for .30 and .50 cans, I don't see why it wouldn't work for this application.
View Quote

This. If not preserving some sort of historical piece, RTV is the way to go, and often makes a better seal than the OEM gasket.

I doubt that can was arsenal painted red, it MIGHT have been a can used at the unit level for another purpose- maps, code books (CEOI/SOI) or other sensitive documents/equipment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have four of those cans but they were produced later on I think.  3 in battleship gray, one other had been painted OD.  My favorite ammo cans.  Seen them referred to as 'Navy Small Arms Cans' or 20mm cans.  Last one I bought at Numrich.  They are great to store gear in, easy to open, but tight sealing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, I finally got it put together this past weekend.

I bought some Nitrile - Commercial Grade Black - 60A Rubber Sheet from Amazon.

Then I cut it and used some automotive adhesive from O'Reilly's to secure it to the lid.  It works and it is a very tight seal.  Apparently closing the lid is taking paint off of the lid and claps themselves.  But it now seals up a slew of AK mags and drums.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top