Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 8:00:00 PM EDT
I bought an AC41 marked Walther P38 at a gunshow about a year and a half ago. From what I gather a serial number in the 6XXX range indicates a January 1941 production date. All numbers match and the finish overall is pretty good with a couple spots of extremely mild  pitting on the slide. I only paid $450 for it but from reading a bit recently I'm hearing that AC41 marked P38s are some of the more desirable ones out there.

So did I steal this thing? or does that price sound about right.

Sorry, not the best pic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They are more desirable if they sport their original finish. Yours looks like a redip or reblue, heavily buffed edges. $450 is reasonable for a redip not so much as a heavy buffing..

The orginal finish looks like this:

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha. So the one I've got is likely one that had a pretty rough finish that got reblued? Figured the price was a bit too good for something really collectible. But that's ok. I always wanted one and now I've got a good shooter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotcha. So the one I've got is likely one that had a pretty rough finish that got reblued? Figured the price was a bit too good for something really collectible. But that's ok. I always wanted one and now I've got a good shooter.
View Quote

yea, looks like its been heavily buffed.. probably had more pitting on it that was attempted to buff out. Compare the pic with mine.. look how rounded your edges are. At $450 its a honest price for a wartime p38 shooter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I see what you're saying now about the rounded edges. Glad I didn't get ripped off. On the plus side all of the stamps seem to be intact still so they were either deep enough to begin with or whoever refinished it made an effort to preserve the stampings. Oh well. Still a cool piece of history.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see what you're saying now about the rounded edges. Glad I didn't get ripped off. On the plus side all of the stamps seem to be intact still so they were either deep enough to begin with or whoever refinished it made an effort to preserve the stampings. Oh well. Still a cool piece of history.
View Quote

agreed. Enjoy it! 115gr only though ;)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I did not know Walther had the hump above the trigger in 1941.  Thought that was a late 43 early 44 feature. The hump is where the trigger pin fits, suppose that there was a improvement and they needed the frame hump.
My ac43 is flat as is the other original ac41 pictured. Odd.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far I've only put 115 grain 9mm through it. I assume heavier 9mm will cause damage?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So far I've only put 115 grain 9mm through it. I assume heavier 9mm will cause damage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top