Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
I need a desk for my office. I was thinking about building a desk based off of a 6 rifle mosin/SKS crate.  Since I don't actually have one it will only resemble it, and not be an actual rifle crate. For legs/drawersI was thinking about making something akin to ammo crates.

I have seen people turn ammo crates into wall cabinets for reloading supplies or even end tables. An I think we all have seen the mosin crate coffee table.

What have you guys made with your crates?  Trash them or use them for storage?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I use them to store other things like greasy parts, random bolts and nuts, other ammo, some of my mountain of 9mm brass, etc.

They're great for holding anything that needs a sturdy container that can be carried and stacked securely.

As for your desk idea, I'd probably only use the ends of each crate as the drawer faces, since while the crates are usually made of solid wood, it's not fine enough of a grain to slide well, even with waxing.

Playing on your idea, I'd probably make an extra sturdy workbench instead of a desk, which would give a nice place to work on old guns or perhaps use as a reloading bench (where lots of drawers is super handy).

Be sure to take pictures whatever you do
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As for your desk idea, I'd probably only use the ends of each crate as the drawer faces, since while the crates are usually made of solid wood, it's not fine enough of a grain to slide well, even with waxing.

Playing on your idea, I'd probably make an extra sturdy workbench instead of a desk, which would give a nice place to work on old guns or perhaps use as a reloading bench (where lots of drawers is super handy).

Be sure to take pictures whatever you do
View Quote

Good idea for the drawers.  I'll have to try to find some ammo crates locally, otherwise I"ll be building them all, marking them to look like crates, distressing them to look worn, and lastly finishing them.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Bed for cats to sleep in.  Feeding station for the outdoor cats sized to keep out the chickens.  Didn't work.  Chickens got in and scared away cats, ate the cat food.  Most successful was two 1938 vintage Turkish 8mm Mauser boxes put together with Kreg pocket hole joints for cats to sleep in during what passes for Winter here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top