Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2015 8:35:34 PM EDT
So what do you guys use to put a little life back into your surplus leather slings and ammo pouches?

Recently got a beautiful K31 but the sling is super stiff and looks like ass.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
bee's wax
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
saddle soap
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Dish soap and water to clean (3% vinegar mixed in if mold is a concern), dry thoroughly in a well-ventilated area (no heat!), Pecard's Leather Dressing to preserve. Obernauf's is another good leather treatment.

Give a wide berth to Neatsfoot and mink oils. All leather will degrade over time no matter what it's treated with, but those two will make sure that that time is short.

Edit: I have about three dozen leather pieces- mostly from the '50's- and use the above mentioned process on all of them- boots, slings, pouches, trim on packs, belts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dish soap and water to clean (3% vinegar mixed in if mold is a concern), dry thoroughly in a well-ventilated area (no heat!), Pecard's Leather Dressing to preserve. Obernauf's is another good leather treatment.

Give a wide berth to Neatsfoot and mink oils. All leather will degrade over time no matter what it's treated with, but those two will make sure that that time is short.

Edit: I have about three dozen leather pieces- mostly from the '50's- and use the above mentioned process on all of them- boots, slings, pouches, trim on packs, belts.
View Quote

That's too unscientific.

Good to know it really is that simple. Btw, I used Obernauf's on my work boots per my nephew's recommendation. From when he was firefighter for the forest service. Good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I can brow-beat you with science- scientifically, of course- if you would so prefer.

Obernauf's and Pecard's are equally suitable. Take your pick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.

Also, pics of K31 and ass sling.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]

That's s beautiful piece of wood! My walnut stock K31 has some nice grain and isn't beaver chewed but yours is in a whole nother class!

Come to think of it though mine came with the same ass sling too. Maybe I'd better dig it out and clean it up now that I know how. And before winter gets here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, there's a kitchen table FFL around here that specializes in hand picking the best he can find out of each lot. It wasn't much more than what they were going for at AIM and AIM was out of stock so I figured I'd go for it.

I'm kicking myself now because he had 2 perfect condition slings that I passed on because he didn't have the clip that goes on the butt end and I knew AIM had the sling, clip, and muzzle protector all together for $5 less than he was selling just the sling.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Gorgeous rifle. Cleaning up the sling will make it even nicer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#10]
this stuff is amazing
Carried by Turner's Slings. I've saved a few slings with it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Boyt USMC '45 M7 holster this past Sunday at the flea market for $15.00 that I'm pondering over how to preserve it. It has a nice well-used "salty" look about it.

My problem is that it really needs to be taken apart to do it properly (I use Pecards) but it's tied together with it's original leather lacing and I don't want to risk damaging the lace.

Plus even if I got it apart without damaging the lace when I go to put it back together there is no way I'd ever be able to get the "wear" side of the lacing right.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
K31 sling butt clips, reproduction I am sure, are on ebay for $2.50 last I looked.  I bought a nice '48 K31 a few months back, the sling was a 1940, ugly grey and stiff as a board.  Removed the sling, slathered it liberally with Bick 4 leather conditioner, rolled it up tight as I could get it and put it in a ziplock back for a couple of days.  Came out nice and supple with dark leather appearance.

Hking
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Boyt USMC '45 M7 holster this past Sunday at the flea market for $15.00 that I'm pondering over how to preserve it. It has a nice well-used "salty" look about it.

My problem is that it really needs to be taken apart to do it properly (I use Pecards) but it's tied together with it's original leather lacing and I don't want to risk damaging the lace.

Plus even if I got it apart without damaging the lace when I go to put it back together there is no way I'd ever be able to get the "wear" side of the lacing right.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/ocvlu.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/upnxl.jpg
View Quote

To prevent any fragile bits getting damaged, clean and treat it as I outlined above before taking anything apart. Pecard's takes a few days to soak in if the leather is completely dry, which that probably is, and it might take two coats. After the leather is flexible enough to be handled, you can clean the nooks and crannies, or just do the whole thing over since you won't hurt it. Use a nylon-bristled brush.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
bumping this one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top