Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 9:10:20 PM EDT
I'm checking out a tnw firearms suomi m-31. Any information on these by chance? Nice to get ? Fair price?
Is it possible (likely) to find a bring back or are the rebuilt ones the only game?
Looks like something I'd like to add to my collection
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The Suomi KP/-31 is an open bolt, select fire submachine gun. There are no bring backs, and any originals are NFA items as they were never produced for civilian sales.

Thus, you're limited to rebuilds that have turned them into title-1 firearms by making them fire from a closed bolt, removed the automatic setting and made the barrel 16" (or registered as a Short Barreled Rifle).

As for the tnw rebuild, the few I've seen have had problems with the trigger mechanism and sear either not functioning or becoming damaged easily, but outside of the trigger group they seem well built.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea on fair price range? Worth getting one?
I'm also looking at the polish pps.
Btw not a board member selling if that matters
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Really fun gun to shoot. Kind of heavy, which makes controlled full auto fire easy. You can fairly easily write letters in a target approximately 5-10 meters away.
Suomi SMG's are sturdy guns that were built way too high quality for their intended use. Only drawback that I can think of is that the drum magazines are slow to fill and you can too easily tip a row of cartridges during the process.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
you might have better luck asking in the PCC section. The TNW versions are not C&R and a bit different from the original.

that being said, I have one and will give you a little input

got mine for around $400 when they were still making them. Had to send it back to TNW due to the trigger issue, but has been great since.

the drum mags seem to bit hit or miss.No trouble with the sticks. I want a coffin mag or two but can't find one under $100.

Like the semi sterlings, these have gone up a good bit since they stopped making them. 6-700 seems to be what I have seen on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I purchased one a while ago and did some research, TNW made these with 2 different methods. First were the striker fired versions that had some problems. The second version was a hammer fired version and that's what I have. Now it is heavy, about 12 to 15 pounds but this aids in accuracy. It also has a very good barrel, some would say match grade and it very accurate out to 100 yards (where I tested it at). The main trouble I and most have had with this firearm is the trigger. It plain sucks, it's a very heavy trigger pull that takes some getting used to but there is a mod that I haven't tried yet that requires wrapping a wire around a bar in the trigger mechanism that supposedly will lighten the trigger pull. It is a well built gun that has been very accurate for me and I am very happy with it. If you are looking to buy one I would suggest the hammer fired version. Stick mags work very well and are pretty cheap when I bought them, about $11.00 a pop. The drum mags work well in mine but I have read they can be a pain for some so it's hit or miss with those. The one thing I do worry about is a video I have seen where the Tac welds fail and the front literally fell off, Haven't had this happen and hope it doesn't. It is a fun range toy and that's about all I wanted it for. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that belonged to a buddy before he passed away. He had to send it back twice when he first got it.
It's heavy as heck, especially with a loaded drum on it. You have to fuss with the drums, not all of them will work right off the bat. No damn recoil at all due to the weight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun toys.  Heavy as hell and they take a while to break in for 100% reliability with crappy Wolf ammo.

Like everyone else said though, heavy, but it aids in their acuracy.  I have never had any problems with either of mine except  on break in.
One cool thing about this for me was that the mags were interchangeable with my Kp-44 as well.

The PPs-43 isn't bad but has no accuracy unless you are shooting off a bench since the stock can't be unfolded. I ended up SBR'ing mine.

The Polish versions have a big flaw in the hammers.  They just don't hold up.  I looked up whre to find them and found the WWII reenactors have started making them in their circles and picked up one there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
As others haves have said, they're hugely heavy.  I assume the newly-made receivers have a smaller ID (read: thicker material) so the original full-auto parts don't fit back in.  Stupidly heavy trigger on the striker version.  But...they're very accurate and you can shoot all day with no recoil for as long as you can hold up the rifle...

eta: no reliability issues with the one I've used.  factory WWB, reloaded 115gr plated, reloaded 124gr LRN, it ate everything from stick mags.  The drums are less reliable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of the last 2 TNW had straight from them and its been 100%. I can't believe they have gone up that much in price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top