Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 1:31:32 PM EDT
My dad gave me my great grandfathers Parker Bros 10 gauge shotgun. It looks like the one in the picture below but not in as good of condition. I've read that these things can be really valuable, and I was wondering what would be the best way to store this thing? Also, should I consider insuring it?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
parkers can range in  value extremely

unfortunately yours will be on the lower end.  your has little to no finish

sorry to break it to you maybe 800 to 1k
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Without knowing more details of the gun, assigning any value, especially "$800-1k," is pretty irresponsible.  The grade of the gun is critical in determining value, along with seeing some photos of the actual gun.

$800 could be pretty accurate if the gun is a field grade model with little finish remaining, like the pictured gun.  If it is a higher grade gun, it could be worth several times that, even in the pictured condition or less.

ETA:  In terms of storage, basic storage rules apply.  Muzzles should be stored down to prevent oil from leaching into the stock.  Snap caps in the chambers and firing pins down.  Do NOT dry fire the gun without snap caps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without knowing more details of the gun, assigning any value, especially "$800-1k," is pretty irresponsible.  The grade of the gun is critical in determining value, along with seeing some photos of the actual gun.

$800 could be pretty accurate if the gun is a field grade model with little finish remaining, like the pictured gun.  If it is a higher grade gun, it could be worth several times that, even in the pictured condition or less.

ETA:  In terms of storage, basic storage rules apply.  Muzzles should be stored down to prevent oil from leaching into the stock.  Snap caps in the chambers and firing pins down.  Do NOT dry fire the gun without snap caps.
View Quote

I will see if I can get some pictures put up this evening. I did find out from the Parker Bros website that the gun was built in 1881, and it also has a Damascus barrel which I thought was interesting. It seemed like the finish was supposed to be the color that it is too.

Thank you for explaining how to store it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top