Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2015 12:12:29 PM EDT
Not much affordable (really cheap) stuff out there for a while.  I have done the c&r license for nine years now and haven't aquired anything with it in a long time.  Expire and wait to see what happens with the world market.  Maybe I'll get back in, maybe not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
cool, thanks for letting us know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you give up something that costs measly $30 every 3 years?  That's one transfer fee at most 01 FFLs
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cool, thanks for letting us know.
View Quote

I'm always here for you, except when I'm not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It still gets you a decent discount at Brownell's.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I use it just as much now as I did 5-10 years ago. Gunbroker and old S&W revolvers, old HiPowers from Cole Dist, other civilian and military arms from back in the day. Stuff is still out there, it is just not coming through the importers as much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Always baffles me how people look at the C&R as not useful or a waste of $30 because importers aren't scouring the globe throwing deals their way.  So the answer of course is to let it lapse and pay someone else a transfer fee when they want something.  

Even if I wasn't regularly adding to my collection I'd keep the C&R in the off chance that one piece I wanted came along...just to have the option.  $30 is nothing and for that extremely low fee alone its worth keeping.    

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Always baffles me how people look at the C&R as not useful or a waste of $30 because importers aren't scouring the globe throwing deals their way.  So the answer of course is to let it lapse and pay someone else a transfer fee when they want something.  

Even if I wasn't regularly adding to my collection I'd keep the C&R in the off chance that one piece I wanted came along...just to have the option.  $30 is nothing and for that extremely low fee alone its worth keeping.    

View Quote

This.

I haven't bought anything from any major dealer in a long time with my C&R, but out of the blue I picked up a nice Winchester M1 carbine with ammo for a steal on Gunbroker. $30 is a single cheap steak dinner for me, so the fact that it lasts for three years is a great deal. Not to mention the discounts you get online.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never purchased a C&R firearm using my license but the $30 is well spent for discounts at Graf's and Brownell's.  I may buy a C&R rifle someday but I just haven't found anything I really want thus far.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan to let my lapse.  I'll wait a few months and if I really miss it, I'll renew with a fresh bound book.  It's good to purge your records now and then, plus I might actually be able to save some money when I don't have an active C$R.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I plan to let my lapse.  I'll wait a few months and if I really miss it, I'll renew with a fresh bound book.  It's good to purge your records now and then, plus I might actually be able to save some money when I don't have an active C$R.
View Quote

Thats an option ive considered as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I canceled my 03 on the forth renewal, returned it to the ATF, and tossed my bound books in the wood stove when I got the return receipt back. Good riddance.

I do a lot of FTF deals on C&Rs at yard sales, flea markets, and such and was losing deals because folks did not want to give out their info for the bound book requirements.  When ATF paperwork got in the way of a couple good deals it was time for it to go.

Are there occasions since I gave it up that I could have used it? Sure, but on the whole I don't miss it much.  LOL...Sure as heck can't say I've bought fewer C&Rs since it's been gone.

I figure if something trips my trigger all that hard in the on-line C&R world I'll just order it and do a $22.00 transfer. No big deal.

Still and all if your buying habits are a bit more "normal" than mine are then a 03 FFL is the "deal of the day".

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had mine for about a year and purchased 2 rifles, a Type 53 and a K31.

For the T53, Compared to a local sporting goods store, i saved over 100 dollars. If I did an FFL transfer, I still saved over 50 (Buffalo, NY is horrible. Our main gun store is theeee worst).

About the same savings for the K31.

Sure there aren't many deals right now. But at the price of $10 a year, Even if I only bought 1 firearm over the course of 3 years, I'd still save money

(Keep in mind I'm in NY. Add at least $150 to the normal going price of a firearm, and figure in the fact that the cheapest transfer you will get will still cost $50)
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I almost let mine expire a few years ago since the surplus market had pretty much dried up and my interests had changed.  The inexpensive cost finally caused me to renew.  Now that I have gotten into old shotguns, I'm glad that I did.  You never know what will come down the road; best to keep all of your options open...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I got rid of mine in 05. I bought every cheap surplus rifle or pistol multiple times. Anything C&R eligible that I would want now would be in the thousands, so the $25 transfer would be insignificant. The last C&R gun I bought was from CMP so it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My biggest problem with NOT having a 03 C&R is that everyone around me wants $50-75 for a transfer. I have not had a cheap place to do transfers since my favorite pawn shop changed hands years ago. Plus I really like having things shipped to my door so I do not have to go and pick them up.

If I were to buy as much as 1srelluc does I would be deep in CC debt again. Not gonna go there any more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My biggest problem with NOT having a 03 C&R is that everyone around me wants $50-75 for a transfer. I have not had a cheap place to do transfers since my favorite pawn shop changed hands years ago. Plus I really like having things shipped to my door so I do not have to go and pick them up.

If I were to buy as much as 1srelluc does I would be deep in CC debt again. Not gonna go there any more.
View Quote

They don't take CCs FTF or at the yard sales/flea market. Cash or trade.

I understand your plight though, nobody in my area (that I deal with) charges more than $27.00 for a transfer so It's not much of a much to me if I have to go that route on the rare occasion.

LOL...I guess I provided the 03 world with a bit of a service while I had my 03 FFL....None of the LGSs in my area even knew about 03 FFLs so I had to "train" them. They love them now, especially the ones that still use the phone to call in the state police check instead of using the computer option. Less work for them. One shop evens complains now that I gave my 03 up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Haven't had one since '05 and have not looked back. I don't buy enough C&R-eligible firearms or shop at stores offering discounts often enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top