Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2015 8:04:49 AM EDT
Yesterday I bought a M1903 Rock Island Arsenal and being new to the '03 I don't really know what I have. I am hoping someone here can give me some info or direct me to a good information source.

The serial # is in the 362xxx range and the barrel has SA 10-42 behind the front sight.

The stock may have once been original but it has since been refinished, cut just in front of the lower band retaining spring, and the pistol grip area has been profiled. As far as I can tell, the stock is the only thing that was "sporterized". I plan on returning it to the original military configuration with a new stock and replacement of the few missing parts for the muzzle end of the handguards.

I tried to find some info on this '03 but all I found was conflicting information. I know that it was made after the heat treatment issue was resolved, but I would like to know a date of manufacture. The closest I found was sometime in the 1920's.

I paid $350+tax and I feel like a may have done ok on that but like I said I'm new to the '03.

I would appreciate any relevant information. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yesterday I bought a M1903 Rock Island Arsenal and being new to the '03 I don't really know what I have. I am hoping someone here can give me some info or direct me to a good information source.

The serial # is in the 362xxx range and the barrel has SA 10-42 behind the front sight.

The stock may have once been original but it has since been refinished, cut just in front of the lower band retaining spring, and the pistol grip area has been profiled. As far as I can tell, the stock is the only thing that was "sporterized". I plan on returning it to the original military configuration with a new stock and replacement of the few missing parts for the muzzle end of the handguards.

I tried to find some info on this '03 but all I found was conflicting information. I know that it was made after the heat treatment issue was resolved, but I would like to know a date of manufacture. The closest I found was sometime in the 1920's.

I paid $350+tax and I feel like a may have done ok on that but like I said I'm new to the '03.

View Quote

Most of the online resources for the M1903 favor the not accurate side. From a raw data/parts comparison standpoint ViShooter's webpage is a good resource. The receiver was probably made in late 1918. The barrel was obviously made Oct. 1942. Any markings on the bolt or other small parts? Pictures would help as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of the online resources for the M1903 favor the not accurate side. From a raw data/parts comparison standpoint ViShooter's webpage is a good resource. The receiver was probably made in late 1918. The barrel was obviously made Oct. 1942. Any markings on the bolt or other small parts? Pictures would help as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked it over and found a few more markings. One is on the underside of the base of the bolt handle and it is simply "R". Another that I found is on the underside of the barrel toward the breech end and it says "R E P 26". There is also an "R" on the magazine disconnect. The last one is on the underside of the receiver just behind the front action screw hole and it is simply "8".

I will try to get pictures but the only camera I have is on my tablet and it isn't very good. I will see what I can do. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright I have some pictures.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
REP 26 is the steel lot code for the barrel. All the R marked parts are Remington. It sound like a typical M1903 that went through the Remington overhaul program and then someone chopped the stock. For $350 you did ok. You should be able to get a stock for ~$200, scant or straight. A C stock will run you a bit more. A front band and screw should be $40-50. A stacking swivel is meh unless you just want to spend another $20.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
REP 26 is the steel lot code for the barrel. All the R marked parts are Remington. It sound like a typical M1903 that went through the Remington overhaul program and then someone chopped the stock. For $350 you did ok. You should be able to get a stock for ~$200, scant or straight. A C stock will run you a bit more. A front band and screw should be $40-50. A stacking swivel is meh unless you just want to spend another $20.
View Quote

That was another question I had. What is the correct type of stock for an RIA, S or C stock? Should I look for a take-off stock or just go for one of the repros from the CMP?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was another question I had. What is the correct type of stock for an RIA, S or C stock? Should I look for a take-off stock or just go for one of the repros from the CMP?

Thanks for the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
REP 26 is the steel lot code for the barrel. All the R marked parts are Remington. It sounds like a typical M1903 that went through the Remington overhaul program and then someone chopped the stock. For $350 you did ok. You should be able to get a stock for ~$200, scant or straight. A C stock will run you a bit more. A front band and screw should be $40-50. A stacking swivel is meh unless you just want to spend another $20.

Thanks for the info.

As built it would have had a straight stock with grasping grooves. As a rebuild, any stock is kosher. You can still find NOS replacement wood. I wouldn't worry about finding one with inspection stamps. The wood from CMP is good as well but I think they're down to having only GG S stock. Some folks find a scant or C stock more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the looks of the straight, because that's how they were.  But yeah, I would love a C stock for my 03A3 and I have a scant on it now.  But I bought it with a straight on there and that was the original, from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like the consensus is that the C stock is better for actually shooting it. I guess that is what I will look for when I have the funds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like the consensus is that the C stock is better for actually shooting it. I guess that is what I will look for when I have the funds.
View Quote

NOS Keystone replacements will run $300+ if you can find one. SARCO lists a new manufacture for $150 but you have to install the included crossbolts. Numrich has basically the same thing for $190. Rumor is they are Italian Walnut.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

NOS Keystone replacements will run $300+ if you can find one. SARCO lists a new manufacture for $150 but you have to install the included crossbolts. Numrich has basically the same thing for $190. Rumor is they are Italian Walnut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that something that is difficult to do? Also, is there typically a lot of fitting needed for a new stock?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is that something that is difficult to do? Also, is there typically a lot of fitting needed for a new stock?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll need a slotted screwdriver. Google m1903 stock bolts and you'll see why. I don't have any experience with them but the repro M1903 stocks generally require a bit of fitting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You'll need a slotted screwdriver. Google m1903 stock bolts and you'll see why. I don't have any experience with them but the repro M1903 stocks generally require a bit of fitting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#13]
There's always 03 stocks on Ebay
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple more general questions about the '03.

Is it safe to use any factory '06 ammo?

Is it ok to dry fire it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes and yes.

If you some nylon or rubber of some sort, it's really easy to make snap caps from fired casings. Just pop the spent primer and put the nylon/rubber in the primer pocket.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice pickup AR.  

On the stock situation, you might contact CMP, I bought a C stock from them for an 03A3 5-6 years ago.

IIRC, it was around $100 and required very minimal fitting.  However, shipping was slow, took several months to arrive.

Hking
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Alright, cool. Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice pickup AR.  

On the stock situation, you might contact CMP, I bought a C stock from them for an 03A3 5-6 years ago.

IIRC, it was around $100 and required very minimal fitting.  However, shipping was slow, took several months to arrive.

Hking
View Quote

That's probably the route I'm gonna take as soon as funds allow. I see on the CMP E-Store they have new '03 C stocks for $165 so that's what I'll do.

Quick question. I have never ordered anything from the CMP before. Would I have to go through all the verification stuff just to get a stock?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's probably the route I'm gonna take as soon as funds allow. I see on the CMP E-Store they have new '03 C stocks for $165 so that's what I'll do.

Quick question. I have never ordered anything from the CMP before. Would I have to go through all the verification stuff just to get a stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice pickup AR.  

Hking

The full monty (proof of firearms activity, club membership, etc) is only needed for firearms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The full monty (proof of firearms activity, club membership, etc) is only needed for firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice pickup AR.  

Hking

Ok good. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
With time and patience you can find the proper wood ( stock and handguard )and all needed hardware. Look in the cmp forums ads there is usually several
Places that sell the parts.
I found a rough but functional handguard and stock to finish a similarly chopped 03-a3 and took about a hundred extra bucks to make it right.
Get an "exploded view" picture and make sure you get the correct replacements. Some parts for the regular 03 are different from the 03-a3
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]
CMP has C stocks for 165?  That's a good deal.  Or maybe they're new manufacture.  Boyds?  I can go look.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
CMP has C stocks for 165?  That's a good deal.  Or maybe they're new manufacture.  Boyds?  I can go look.  Sorry.
View Quote

Yeah. I assume they are new repros.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still decent money.  I've heard the keystones (I think that's the name of them) were like 4 bills.

300here
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#25]
This is where visiting old shops and asking what they have is a good option, as is visit
Gun shows and look in the little parts boxes most dealers have. It takes time and effort but it can usually be do e pretty cheaply.
I have seen decent functional original 1903 stocks under 100 bucks
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I have bought multiple times from thecollectorsource.com for 03a3 and Garand items.

Looks like he may have some NOS-unissued stocks.

Hking
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have bought multiple times from thecollectorsource.com for 03a3 and Garand items.

Looks like he may have some NOS-unissued stocks.

Hking
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I looked around the site but couldn't find any 1903 stocks. Could you provide a direct link?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is where visiting old shops and asking what they have is a good option, as is visit
Gun shows and look in the little parts boxes most dealers have. It takes time and effort but it can usually be do e pretty cheaply.
I have seen decent functional original 1903 stocks under 100 bucks
View Quote

Yeah I might have to do that. I have found and ordered the small parts I'm missing so all I need is a stock and handguard. That is one of the things I keep running into though. Any of the stocks I find don't come with a matching handguard and I would like for them to match without refinishing, which is why I'm leaning toward just getting a repro from the CMP. I suppose I would just have to be lucky to find an old stock and handguard that matches.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice pickup AR.  

Hking

Not necessarily true. My club membership on file with them had expired and I was unable to order 1911 magazines until it was updated.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd shoot him an email, looks like the last update on the stocks was 11/14...  My bad.

On the CMP, I believe those are Boyd's Stocks.  Might be cheaper elsewhere, $164 seems steep.  The fitting was VERY minor, exacto knife and a little sand paper for a couple of minutes to set the receiver.

Hking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top