Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 7:06:55 PM EDT
Hey all, this isn't really my arena so I'm hoping that somebody with some more knowledge can help me out.

I recently traded for an National Postal Meter M1 Carbine in very good condition with all matching numbers. The man I traded with said he received the rifle from his dad, who brought it back from France after World War 2. The gun is in very good shape, I don't have good pictures but I would say it's probably 90% or better. The bore is clean and sharp, and there are no real bad marks anywhere on the gun.

Basically, I have no idea where to start with this. I see some of these on Gun broker for 700, and some of these for 2500. Anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd have to tell us what the markings are on just about every part to get a fair idea of where to start with pricing as a collectors item.

As a mixmaster shooter it seems $700 is about average for a beater nowadays.

Is an interesting thing I found for the M1 carbine.
http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-FILL-OUT-A-CARBINE-CLUB-DATA-SHEET-FOR-AN-M/
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Pictures would help as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The rifle has the serial number stamped in more places than just the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a good chance that not all of the parts are NPM.  All of the companies making the carbines during the war shared their parts with the others to keep the production flowing.  Each major part is stamped with a manufacturing ID that lets you know which company made the part. The higher the percentage of NPM parts, the higher the perceived value.  If you decide to sell it, you will need to disassemble and photograph each part so the potential buyers can see the marking if you want to get the best price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. This is 'Murica not the rest of the world. Only the receiver will have the serial number. Various small parts most likely have s manufacturers code stamped on them. But sometimes not even that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nope. This is 'Murica not the rest of the world. Only the receiver will have the serial number. Various small parts most likely have s manufacturers code stamped on them. But sometimes not even that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a comment on the ubiquitous "all numbers matching" that seems to pop up when describing a US martial arm. That the OP never came back tells a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was a comment on the ubiquitous "all numbers matching" that seems to pop up when describing a US martial arm. That the OP never came back tells a bit more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Der....

Time to recalibrate the meter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]
M1 carbines don't really have all matching numbers, they have matching types of parts. On the carbines several changes were made throughout production to the parts. To find out the value you need to see if it has all the correct type of parts for that year.
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/rifles.html

This website is excellent and will tell you if you have a mix of early and late parts, all early parts, all late, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top