Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 8:40:25 PM EDT
Have had this rifle for a while now, but never really got around to figuring out all of the details of the rifle.  I am still fairly new to K98s, so hopefully some more knowledgeable people on these rifles can help solve some of my questions.

Is it common to have both the eagle and nazi marks on the rifle?  From what I've read, this was usually the case for rifles during the transition period of markings?

It seems like the finish on the trigger guard and butt plate either completely wore off or someone possibly sanded it.  However, from what I can see, it doesn't look like there are any sanding marks on the metal pieces that could give that away.  The rifle is also fairly worn in other areas of the rifle as well, which can be seen on the other metal bands/parts of the rifle.  

The stock looks like it has been sanded on the surface, since the areas where the sling would loop through are a darker finish.  It seems like whoever sanded it sanded it fairly lightly though, as the markings on the stock can still be seen.  Should I just leave the stock as is or is there a way to darken the stock without ruining it any further?  

Thanks!

-Don
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes on the Weimar and Swastikas.

Maybe a Yugo rework on that one.

Barrel has been replaced.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The butt plate should be in-the-white, but the floorplate and trigger guard should be blued.  Looks like someone removed the bluing for some reason.  The stock has been lightly sanded; the cartouches were left alone though, so that is good.  Looks like someone had added a swivel stud to the bottom of the stock at some point also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Butt plate looks white to me.

And I don't know what made me think it could be yugo rework.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were mine, I'd cold blue the trigger guard and floor plate, remove the finish from the stock, fill the sling swivel hole, refinish with BLO, and add a repro sight hood.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some more pictures.  Upon closer inspection, the barrel has CAI import marks, so I am assuming that it was rebarreled by them.  That would solve/answer that question.  Would there be any other areas that CAI would have marked on the rifle?

Here are some more pictures of the rifle as well.

-Don
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Century would not have rebarreled it; they just import them.  It is most likely a Russian capture (markings still intact), and I would suspect that they are responsible for the rebarrel.  Either that, or a damaged barrel was replaced by the previous owner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad about sling stud hole and what looks like an aftermarket sight base ahead of the bolt handle.  IIRC there were a batch of these rifles that came back from Romania via Century that often lacked the Russian capture marks and often had some matching numbers. If it were a Yugo, I'd expect to see scrubbed markings, a Yugo crest on the receiver, and deeply stamped SN on the side of the butt rather than the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Some last pictures of the rifle.  I guess I am going to chalk this one up as being a mix master of parts.  

I suppose I'll turn this one into a shooter and continue searching for a more original K98.

-Don
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Im certain that the rebarrel job was done by the Germans during the war.

The ONLY thing that would make me think this is a russian capture is the crappy bluing on the receiver.

The amount of bluing missing from the floor plate compared to the wear on the rest of the rifle makes me think someone soaked the floor plate in a cleaner like simple green or naval jelly, someone really just dicked around with this rifle.

if the bore is good, just enjoy the hell out of it at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top