Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2015 3:34:54 PM EDT
OK, other than the obvious, it's a Mk1, I know nothing else about this Enfield or Enfields in general. So please enlighten me.

As an aside, what's it worth?

Some cracking on the front hand guard and this weird cutout in the top left part of the hand guard. What is this for? Is it normal?

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Royal Irish Constabulary carbine. They were made from LECs. They're honestly the most common LEC variant here in the US, though that isn't saying much as LECs are rare at best.

Value, $900+
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info and that was quick!

I have some other interesting stuff I'll have to post up so you guys can help me figure them out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a Royal Irish Constabulary carbine. They were made from LECs. They're honestly the most common LEC variant here in the US, though that isn't saying much as LECs are rare at best.

Value, $900+
View Quote

VERY rare.  I picked one up earlier this year with no cracks or pitting for a good price.  I would say $900 is very much on the low end of the spectrum as far as value.  There just aren't many around.  I wasn't sure what it was when I picked it up and was shocked at some of the offers I received when I posted a thread on another forum looking for help with the rifles identity.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Beautiful gun
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
She handles very well and in playing with it you can understand why they have a reputation for being a quick to operate bolt gun!

In looking at the photos it would appear that perhaps it was repaired in the past and the repair chipped? Wood looks different in the photos than it does in person. Are these hand guards available if I wanted to try and replace it or better left alone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She handles very well and in playing with it you can understand why they have a reputation for being a quick to operate bolt gun!

In looking at the photos it would appear that perhaps it was repaired in the past and the repair chipped? Wood looks different in the photos than it does in person. Are these hand guards available if I wanted to try and replace it or better left alone?
View Quote

Absolutely not. They're unique to the RIC Carbine and you will likely never find another. Even the RIC itself was unable to source any more and used them without it when it broke. It's fine, let it be. Be happy you even have it, most RIC carbines do not.

$900 is probably the bottom end for these, I'd agree. However, it all depends on timing. These aren't high-demand items; they're only interesting to a small subset of Enfield collectors, and if you try to sell yours when one isn't watching, it won't pull big money. RIC carbines aren't all that rare in the US, either - most of them are here and most of them survived. They appear quite often on Gunbroker and other milsurp sites. Unmodified LECs and LMCs are incredibly rare in the US.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Agree with Volk.  I've tried to get an estimate on how many are still around, but have only been able to come up with an image of an order for them to be scrapped sometime around 1920.  AR15.com is likely not the best place to sell one, but I would definitely cross post it to as many forums as possible, especially the collectors forums.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. The hand guard does have some cracking as well so perhaps I will try and figure out how to pull them and stabilize the cracks since I'll never be able to find another set if these get worse.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, in doing a bit of research on it now that I know what it is, it would seem that would be fairly rare in that they only made 10K over a hundred years ago in a foreign country
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I was bidding on one of these very recently. It was in poorer condition than this one, missing the handguard and cleaning rod. It sold for $1,258.

They are very rare in the UK. The one I was bidding on came from the Small Arms School Corps weapons collection. I've only seen around two of them outside of museums.

Try here for further advice.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice.

It has commercial export marks, so it likely found its way here in a formal fashion.

Would be a very nice addition to my collection.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top