Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2015 2:30:47 PM EDT
Did some horse trading this morning and brought home this 1933 Argentine Colt Government 1911A1 .45. I figure I have around $425.00 in it. Under frame Sarco import mark.

Nearly all the finish is gone but it's very tight with a excellent bore.

I could not wait so I cleaned it up, oiled and greased it and to my range I went....Excellent shooter!

I did a bit of research on it and a poster (Castillo) on Gunboards pretty much summed it up on a like pistol that's 1119 off from my serial:

On page 143 of Charles Clawson's book Colt .45 Government Models (Commercial Series).....In 1933 the Argentineans purchased 5,320 pistols in the C165000 to C171000 serial range and that these pistols were marked Policia de la Capital. The Policia de la Capital was renamed Policia Federal in 1943.

It is safe to assume that these pistols received the Policia Federal marks after 1943. The design of the Argentine Coat of Arms and the lettering of this marking looks very similar to the one that can be found on Policia Federal Ballester-Molina pistols, so I think that maybe HAFDSA, the manufacturer of the Ballester-Molinas, could have marked the Colt made pistols with the Policia Federal marking.

The above would explain the Ballester-Molina stocks. I'll replace them with the proper commercial stocks if I can find a worn pair that aren't cracked. I think my LGS has several sets of older stocks.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. That one's been around the block a bit, but I like it.

Interesting that it picked up Ballerina Molester grips somewhere along the line.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother had one years ago.  It was so beat that it used to pop primers out of the cases as it ejected them.  '

Surprisingly, for as bad as the barrel looked inside, the gun shot OK accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother had one years ago.  It was so beat that it used to pop primers out of the cases as it ejected them.  '

Surprisingly, for as bad as the barrel looked inside, the gun shot OK accuracy wise.
View Quote

The barrel is in great shape on my example. No messed up brass when I collected it.

The springs seemed just fine but I've ordered a spring pack for it. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
So if this isnt a ballister. Then what is the difference between the two?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
double clutch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No grip safety, solid mainspring housing, etc.

http://www.hafdasa.com/ballester-molina_argentinas_mystery_45.shtml

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Sarco had some of these recently. I think a bunch we so worn the marking were worn off.
I saw one locally that had good markings but zero finish for $650.  He carried it to a couple shows and finally got it moved.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ballerina Molesters are .45ACP and look like 1911s, but almost nothing interchanges between them. Barrels, magazines, and the recoil spring, but that's about it. They're actually more similar to the Star Bs mechanically.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ballerina Molesters are .45ACP and look like 1911s, but almost nothing interchanges between them. Barrels, magazines, and the recoil spring, but that's about it. They're actually more similar to the Star Bs mechanically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was going to post but I figured that some folks might not know about Model Bs.

LOL.....Ballerina Molesters, that's a good one. I'll remember it.

BTW.....Either the Argentines or Sarco made-up lined Ballerina Molester-type stocks for the 1911 pistols as a BM has a different hole pattern and 1911 stocks won't fit.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I was going to post but I figured that some folks might not know about Model Bs.

BTW.....Either the Argentines or Sarco made-up lined Ballerina Molester-type stocks for the 1911 pistols as a BM has a different hole pattern and 1911 stocks won't fit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd put money on the Argentines doing it. I suspect they made that style of grip "standard" and applied it to pistols that came in for repair.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it made with steel from the Graf Spee?

(Just a little C&R joke)

In all seriousness, nice pickup!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd put money on the Argentines doing it. I suspect they made that style of grip "standard" and applied it to pistols that came in for repair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used those stocks on Argy-made Sistema Colts too. I suspect that as they would fit they also used them as replacements for the imported Colts.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did some horse trading this morning and brought home this 1933 Argentine Colt Government 1911A1 .45.
View Quote

We must be accurate, mustn't we? Its not a 1911A1. Its a Colt Gov't with a C-prefix s/n. It was an off-the-shelf Gov't model.

Mine came from J.L. Denter in Connecticut about 15 yrs ago. Refinished prior to import because they were rusted/pitted like yours.

This one is quite accurate but I replaced some parts:
Nowlin reduced mainspring
Nowlin reduced sear spring
Drop-in match barrel bushing
21 lb recoil spring & nylon shock buffer
long trigger with over-travel stop screw
ancient Bianchi wrap around rubber grips
it now has high profile while outline sights (can't recall the make)
Pachmayr mainspring housing - flat checkered rubber
also now has oversize magazine release button

I also had to install oversize grip screw bushings as a couple were stripped. I used the kit from Brownell's and it came out fine.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We must be accurate, mustn't we? Its not a 1911A1. Its a Colt Gov't with a C-prefix s/n. It was an off-the-shelf Gov't model.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did some horse trading this morning and brought home this 1933 Argentine Colt Government 1911A1 .45.

Yep....

Commercial Pistols

Government Model is a pistol produced for the commercial market by Colt, regardless of whether or not it has the 1924 improvements. These pistols will have a C prefix or suffix with their serial number. The C is considered part of the serial number, and should be included when making reference to the serial number of these commercial pistols.

This is a 1929 commercial Colt Government Model pistol.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?34750-What-do-I-have-M1911-M1911A1-vs-Government-Model

Sorta glad the commercial pistols of the era our guns were made in had the plain checkered walnut stocks. They will be easier to find (and cheaper) than the diamond stocks. I think my LGS has some old ones in a drawer in the back room that need some TLC. I already have a two-tone mag.

I've not really decided what I'm going to do with the finish. As it is fine mechanically I'm hesitant to refinish it. I'm not all that adverse to the way it is now plus oil is cheaper than a "done right" $300.00+ blue job. I would not even consider park or "paint".

Even after sinking the $$$ into a blue job in the end I'll still just have a "slick" blued pistol .
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't refinish it.  I've grown to love the look of well worn guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked one up a while ago and rust blued it. It came out great. There is a thread on the 1911 forum with a step by step tutorial. You can buy the rust blue solution for less than $20 at Brownell's. Looks great when finished, easy to do minimal tools needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top