Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 2:49:41 PM EDT
Anyone shoot these JMB guns?

I shoot modern rifles and pistols primarily (AR-15's), but I've recently become enamored by older rifles.

Remington's Model 8/81 attracted me because of its looks, but when I delved into its history I was floored.
When I read that it was the first commercially successful semi-auto rifle on the market, and designed by the legendary John Moses Browning, and was a favorite of hunters, as well as Prohibition-Era lawmen, I simply had to get one.

I did further research and browsed the auction sites awhile. I decided to pursue a Model 81 in .35 Remington because of the '81's price range and the availability of ammo for the .35, since the .25, .30, and .32 Remington rounds were no longer produced.

On Wednesday last I located a beautiful rifle at a shop in Mass. and jumped on it. The rifle arrived at my FFL near Green Bay, WI last night and I'm going to pick it up in a couple hours. I picked up 3 boxes a Hornady .35 ammo at Cabela's on Wedneday also. I find it strange that Remington makes ammo for so many niche rounds but not their own .35 caliber, which is still popular amongst levergun shooters. Ironically, the first rifle I almost bought many years ago was a Marlin lever-action in .35 Rem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington makes .35 in 150 and 200 grain flavors. I was just looking at some today in a new shop I noticed as I was driving by.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
the 32 remington round packs a punch. neat little round

you can reload for it, but you have to make the brass from  a parent cartridge.

personally the 200 grain loads hit things like a freight train. i have a marlin 336 in 35 remington that is a great shooter. plus the recoil is not that bad
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to know a couple of old timers at home (they've since passed away) who switched from Win. 30-30's to Rem. M81's in 35 Rem.

Both said the same thing.  They got tired of shooting deer more than once.  After getting the .35 Rem. M81's they said they never had to shoot a deer twice again.

I think a found a clip for my father-in-law's M81 in his box of pocket/skinning knives several years ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one this past March.

Gotta love the take-down feature.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
1srelluc, every time I turn around I see you have something else that makes me green with envy. Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through your posts here.

That one is SWEET! IIRC it has a reciprocating barrel like Model 11/A5 shotguns, correct?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I inherited an 81 in 300 Savage many years ago.  Never a malfunction, just a little heavy when hunting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned a Model 8 in .25 Remington......aside from difficulty finding ammo, it was a really nice old gun.....

Firing pin broke on it one day......tip actually stuck in the primer of an ejected case.....complete dissassembly to replace it was a lesson I won't soon forget......
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Range Report.

I fired a few rounds at 50 yards to make sure the sights were ok, then I moved the target back to 100 yards.
Off bags I can keep the groups to about three inches, which is pretty good with irons and an unfamiliar gun.

As I shoot it more, I think the groups will get smaller.

ckmorley

One issue: sometimes the bolt would lock back when there was still a round in the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a Rube Goldberg contraption that sort of works OK.  Good luck if it doesn't cycle properly and you need parts; Numrich is out of almost everything and what they have left probably won't fit your gun without gunsmithing.

Major PITA to field strip; barrel nut requires a special tool and the gun is full of parts that can be assembled incorrectly or fall out/go flying.  Browning had hoped for military contracts, but the gun failed miserably.

Remington discontinued the gun because it was excessively complex and expensive to manufacture (would be a $3000 rifle today)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a Rube Goldberg contraption that sort of works OK.  Good luck if it doesn't cycle properly and you need parts; Numrich is out of almost everything and what they have left probably won't fit your gun without gunsmithing.

Major PITA to field strip; barrel nut requires a special tool and the gun is full of parts that can be assembled incorrectly or fall out/go flying.  Browning had hoped for military contracts, but the gun failed miserably.

Remington discontinued the gun because it was excessively complex and expensive to manufacture (would be a $3000 rifle today)
View Quote

You are 100% correct.

That said I'll have to kill me a deer with mine before I retire it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remington makes .35 in 150 and 200 grain flavors. I was just looking at some today in a new shop I noticed as I was driving by.
View Quote

Local Walmart has some too. Then again, that and the .444 Marlin ammo have been in the store so long(one box has a warehouse label from 1989) that it's wuite possible that both are discontinued.

I keep telling the manager to mark the .444 down to $10 per box(from $45) and I'll buy it all, just in case I buy a barrel in the caliber for my Contender.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I picked up one this past March.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2pzcge9.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/dbo374.jpg

Gotta love the take-down feature.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/aavms2.jpg
View Quote

That looks like a USGI M14 stripper clip you are using, if so how well do they work? From what I've ready even with original clips loading is finicky.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That looks like a USGI M14 stripper clip you are using, if so how well do they work? From what I've ready even with original clips loading is finicky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like a Mauser- specifically, Ecuadoran- stripper clip.

Quoted:
Kalashnikov stole the safety from that rifle....

Every gun designer "stole" something from someone else.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yeah, you're right. The M14 ones only have 1 "prong" in the middle, supposedly that allows them to fit properly in the Remington.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I went looking at a few older gunshops and scored two boxes of Remington brand .35 ammo, as well as a vintage box of .35 Rem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top