Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2015 11:29:54 AM EDT
What can you all tell me about this Zielsechs I bid on on a whim and ended up winning through Germansniper1 on Ebay:

Please excuse the dog hair.  My camera died and I didn't have time to retake these after I noticed the hair in the pics.  

Zielsechs
Nr. 1351
Carl Zeiss
Jena

It reads: WILLI KARL LÜNEBURG

Also, where can I find some literature on centering the reticle, zeroing, what the various knobs and turny-bits do, etc.  I'm very experienced with optics, just not of this configuration and I'd rather not screw this piece up.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Carl Zeiss. You can find them on the internet. They are the likely best source for info on the optik. In lieu of that, you might try ironsightsinc.com in Tulsa. I
used them for repairs on an old Hensoldt Wetxlar from the fifties. They put it right for me and got my Sako .222 Rem back out into the woods.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The reticle isn't centered in that scope.......as the elevation is adjusted, it moves......

Windage adjustment is in the mount (LSR/SSR/Turret/Claw/Etc....)

the small knob/nut on top of the elevation turret is the paralax/focus adjustment

as far as zeroing, since the turret doesn't have range markings, you use the white line to establish a set distance......say one or two hundred yards.....loosen the set screw at the rear of the turret, adjust the elevation till you're zeroed at your favorite shooting distance, then without moving the turret, loosen (slightly) the 3 small screws on top of the turret, loosen the set screw,  rotate the outer ring till the white line lines up with the turret set screw, then retighten the 3 screws.....that way whenever the white line is lined up with the set screw, you know what distance your elevation is set for...

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The reticle isn't centered in that scope.......as the elevation is adjusted, it moves......

Windage adjustment is in the mount (LSR/SSR/Turret/Claw/Etc....)

the small knob/nut on top of the elevation turret is the paralax/focus adjustment

as far as zeroing, since the turret doesn't have range markings, you use the white line to establish a set distance......say one or two hundred yards.....loosen the set screw at the rear of the turret, adjust the elevation till you're zeroed at your favorite shooting distance, then without moving the turret, loosen (slightly) the 3 small screws on top of the turret, loosen the set screw,  rotate the outer ring till the white line lines up with the turret set screw, then retighten the 3 screws.....that way whenever the white line is lined up with the set screw, you know what distance your elevation is set for...

View Quote

Thanks very much for the detailed zeroing process.  I was told on another forum to just scribe a line on the turret when it was zeroed with no mention of the top three screws.  I was wondering what those were for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Just be sure not to take them out!!!

I'm assuming there is a line/marking on the outer ring of your turret?

If there isn't, its just as easy to adjust your elevation to where you like it, lock down the set screw, and not worry with the rest of the process....like you had mentioned...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just be sure not to take them out!!!

I'm assuming there is a line/marking on the outer ring of your turret?

If there isn't, its just as easy to adjust your elevation to where you like it, lock down the set screw, and not worry with the rest of the process....like you had mentioned...
View Quote

Don't take them out.  Good to know.  I probably would have.  Thanks.

Yes, there's a line on the elevation drum that looks to have been color filled at the factory or later on with the rest of the scope controls.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact Vaughn99 over on gunboards.  He is who built my rifle and is very smrt when it comes to German optics.  He dated my zielsechs to the late 20's, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Contact Vaughn99 over on gunboards.  He is who built my rifle and is very smrt when it comes to German optics.  He dated my zielsechs to the late 20's, if I remember correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I posted the OP on k98kforum.com and he replied  to that topic as follows:

Hello,

your scope was made in the 1921/22 calender year. it is 1 of 312 made that year. this is a real zeiss and they placed the markings on the early scope like yours. for a small fee zeiss would put your name as a gunsmith or business on the scope this had to be pre-ordered like this and you had to buy a minimum each year. Emil Kerner was another who used this option but is seen more commonly. Holger is a very reputable guy i WISH his shipping prices were lower but I just figure that in with my bidding. other than that I have bought over 20 scopes from him and all were as described and shipped promptly

later
Vaughn  

The part about Holger is in regard to another poster questioning if germansniper1 on Ebay was a reputable seller or not.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep!  That's Vaughn.

His advice on how to use them is spot on, too.

What are you going to do with it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep!  That's Vaughn.

His advice on how to use them is spot on, too.

What are you going to do with it?
View Quote

I was going to contact Robert about reconditioning it, but it seems k98k.com is down and a post on k98kforum.com mentioned he closed up shop at the end of last year.  It seems to be fine, mechanically.  I was just wanting to give the outside some TLC and make it was good to go inside.

I have a 1950-era Sornet Wetzlar 7x on the rifle I have with Charlie Romero in Vermont in a LSR.  I had him re-barrel it with a new, old stock Isreali .308 barrel, completely redo the Parkerizing, center the LSR over the bore, replace the trigger and do a job on it (the one it had was atrocious and lacked the second stage) as well as fit the stock to the action and refinish it.  I'll put the Zeiss on it and sell the Sornet since the Zeiss was more than double what I paid for it.

CR has had the rifle since Jan. or Feb. and should be shipping it Friday.  Can't wait to get it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top