Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 1:50:28 PM EDT
Bought an action with trigger and floor plate. Looking around ebay at bolts and stocks. Will probably build a sporter.

Where is a good place to buy parts?

Will any 98 bolt work?

I'm thinking it will be cheaper to toss this and buy a cheap sporterized rifle complete.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought an action with trigger and floor plate. Looking around ebay at bolts and stocks. Will probably build a sporter.

Where is a good place to buy parts?

Will any 98 bolt work?

I'm thinking it will be cheaper to toss this and buy a cheap sporterized rifle complete.
View Quote

You're going to need a standard 98 action bolt (not short like FN1924, or yugo 24/47/48 series rifles.

Springfield sporters, Sarco and Numrich arms should have many of the parts you need.
If you already have the hinged floorplate you're laughing.
If the barrel/metal isn't cut, or the action drilled for a scope, I'd say it would be cheaper and more classy to restore it back to original, or close to original as you can get.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Good resource for Mauser info:

www.mausercentral.com

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No hinged floor plate. (I wish)
1 hole d&t front and back. (2 holes)
Stuck the action in an old cut down 03 stock I have. Looks close.

Thanks. I'll check out mauser central.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a like new Parker-Hale 98/148 (large ring Mauser) adjustable trigger with side safety yesterday. I'm thinking of a build of some sort myself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
They have a 1912 Chilean Mauser stock on Simpsons for $125, should fit any 98 it says.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No hinged floor plate. (I wish)
1 hole d&t front and back. (2 holes)
Stuck the action in an old cut down 03 stock I have. Looks close.

Thanks. I'll check out mauser central.
View Quote

They have Mauser bottom metal on Brownells, not sure if it is hinges or not.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Watched a complete bolt go for $100 on ebay. How much would a good deal on one be?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Watched a complete bolt go for $100 on ebay. How much would a good deal on one be?
View Quote

Unless something has changed VZ-24 bolts are about half that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I found most of  what I needed on ebay, there's a good flow of parts there. Some very nice sporter stocks come up there, Plastic is available too if you want to go that way.

Boyds Gunstocks has a wide variety of stocks, and they also offer the very nice Bold Triggers for less than $50.

Here's a Linkto my Mauser sporter build, if you're interested. I made my own hinged floor plate from the military one.

If decide to go back to a military, it would probably be cheaper and easier to sell your action and buy a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a half inch too short.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VZ-24 and that Argentine 1909 are the same length.  Both are standard '98 actions.  The Yugo mausers (M48 and 24/47) were the shorter ones.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The VZ-24 and that Argentine 1909 are the same length.  Both are standard '98 actions.  The Yugo mausers (M48 and 24/47) were the shorter ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top