Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 2:11:39 AM EDT
I bought this bubba'd up Enfield pretty cheap for a project and there are very few proofmarks on it.  Ive already googled (and I will update this thread when I find more information) but I am coming up empty.

The ultimate plan is to put a wood stock on this as it came from the factory, have a SIA 45ACP conversion with a threaded 16" barrel, and my Silencerco Osprey.

After looking at the pictures, the barrel IS NOT bent (although it is going to get a new barrel) that is the result of a panoramic picture!

The BNP under the Crown means "Birmingham Nitro Proof after 1954"

The "A" may mean "Inspectors Mark Lithgow Factory Australia"  I cant read what is under the "A"

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any SMLE here. I only see a sporterized No. 4.

No. 4s are well-known for not having a large number of identifiable marks. The F55 mark on the cocking piece is "Fazakerley 1955". The A on the barrel shank is just an inspector's mark. Australia did not make any No. 4 rifles; they used some during WWII but quickly retired them.

The crowns over Ns over numbers are view (proof) marks.

The ENGLAND mark is a country-of-origin mark required for import.

A serial number starting with a 2 makes this a ROF Fazakerley rifle. You may find faint "No. 4 Mk. I ROF (F)" markings on the left receiver wall.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. 4s are well-known for not having a large number of identifiable marks. The F55 mark on the cocking piece is "Fazakerley 1955". The A on the barrel shank is just an inspector's mark. Australia did not make any No. 4 rifles; they used some during WWII but quickly retired them.

A serial number starting with a 2 makes this a ROF Fazakerley rifle. You may find faint "No. 4 Mk. I ROF (F)" markings on the left receiver wall.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

I am fairly new to Enfields so forgive my ignorance if I am incorrect.  Are we arguing semantics about it not being a SMLE because it has  been sporterized or because the No. 4 is not a SMLE?

I got the information about the "A" from this site.  Is that incorrect?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are we arguing semantics about it not being a SMLE because it has  been sporterized or because the No. 4 is not a SMLE?
View Quote

While they are both Enfields, the No. 4 is not a SMLE.  The SMLE is the No. 1 Enfield, with the No. 1 Mk. III being the most common SMLE.  The "MLE" or "SMLE" designation used on Lee Enfields in the late 1800s and early 1900s was dropped ca. 1926, and Enfields adopted after that point are referred to as simply "No. X Rifle" not "No. X SMLE".

No. 1 Mk. III SMLE:

No. 4 Mk. 1 Rifle:

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am fairly new to Enfields so forgive my ignorance if I am incorrect.  Are we arguing semantics about it not being a SMLE because it has  been sporterized or because the No. 4 is not a SMLE?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps.

The No. 4 isn't an SMLE, as was said. It was adopted after that designation was dropped.

The A (generally, inside a star) can be used to indicate Australia, but only on SMLE (No. 1) rifles, not on No. 4 rifles, as the Australians did not make them. In this rifle's case, it's an inspector's mark from Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley, where this rifle was originally made.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It was formally, commercially exported likely between 1968 and 1984.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top