Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 7:52:49 AM EDT
I am going to have a little money free up in next few days and I want one of these rifles for my collection.

Who has the best ones in stock at reasonable prices?

What should I be looking for to endure I have a good one?  This is going to be a shooter so 100% matching numbers isn't as important to me.

I do have an C&R so no issue having sent right to me. The biggest issue is finding place that will ship to Maryland.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, you missed the large selection of vendors by about a month.  Most places that have had them in the $500-$600 range for very nice examples are OOS.  AIM and Classic are both out.  Royal Tiger may have a few, but the price has gone up.  Rguns is another Vendor that may have them.  Mine from RTI was really nice and I bought it on sale for $499, but that ship has sailed for now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
i can not get ahold of Royal Tiger the phone rings busy and they will not answer my emails.

i saw one for sale on the E.E. here and made a cash offer but the seller did not respond to my offer in any way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one for 6 years and haven't even shot it. I even bought some brass case Yugo heavy ball for it. I suck and need to get my ass to the range. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one for 6 years and haven't even shot it. I even bought some brass case Yugo heavy ball for it. I suck and need to get my ass to the range. Good luck OP.
View Quote

91/30's tend to like the 150 grain stuff.  Your experience may vary.  As a rule, the shorter Mosin Nagants tend to like heavier ammunition.  

I shoot PPU 150 grain soft point and it loves the stuff.  My best grouping was a 50 yard test and I could completely cover the hole with a dime.  In the right hands, not mine, and with the right ammunition, I could see it being used out to 1,000 yards without any difficulty.  

Now go henceforth to the range and set up your beast.  You will probably be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am going to have a little money free up in next few days and I want one of these rifles for my collection.

What should I be looking for to endure I have a good one?  This is going to be a shooter so 100% matching numbers isn't as important to me.

I do have an C&R so no issue having sent right to me. The biggest issue is finding place that will ship to Maryland.
View Quote

Put a wanted ad in the EE.  This is the best forum on the Internet, these guys can find you anything.  I put a wanted ad for a factory 870 folding stock and had two offers in two days.  I'm not aware of any vendors wi issues shipping Mosins to Maryland.

ETA: one in the classifieds http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_131/1417176_WTS__Mosin_Nagant_1891_30_PU.html
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Put a wanted ad in the EE.  This is the best forum on the Internet, these guys can find you anything.  I put a wanted ad for a factory 870 folding stock and had two offers in two days.  I'm not aware of any vendors wi issues shipping Mosins to Maryland.

ETA: one in the classifieds http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_131/1417176_WTS__Mosin_Nagant_1891_30_PU.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been in contact with the seller above. I am trying to work on a price with him but he is very slow to get back to me.I have the C&R licence and money ready to go if we could  make a deal.  the sad thing  is we are not very far apart on the price, if he had the bayonet, sling  and cleaning kit i would pay what his  counter offer was but if he doesn't have the accessory I need the extra money to buy them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have been in contact with the seller above. I am trying to work on a price with him but he is very slow to get back to me.I have the C&R licence and money ready to go if we could  make a deal.  the sad thing  is we are not very far apart on the price, if he had the bayonet, sling  and cleaning kit i would pay what his  counter offer was but if he doesn't have the accessory I need the extra money to buy them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good price on that PU, its a nice one.The accessory kit and bayonet is useless, bayonets were never issued to snipers. Slings can be had for cheap, they imported a shit ton of them. PU snipers arent getting any cheaper, so pay up or try to find another for cheaper (unlikely)
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is a good price on that PU, its a nice one.The accessory kit and bayonet is useless, bayonets were never issued to snipers. Slings can be had for cheap, they imported a shit ton of them. PU snipers arent getting any cheaper, so pay up or try to find another for cheaper (unlikely)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.. very fair price. As stated above.. this isn't a 91/30 they were not issued with bayonets.. accessory kits can be had all day long same with slings. Not sure of the issue... as they shouldn't be one. If i was the seller i wouldn't let that go for anything below 650..

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Truth is we are not real far apart on the price. I know the bayonet wasn't issued with the rifle but it is something I want. The sling and tools are a must have for me. The diffrance we are apart is about the price of a sling and tool set.
I am ready to send him a postal money order once / if we make a deal
What is really hurting the deal is how long it takes to respond to the pm. It gets me thinking  that he may take long time to ship the rifle instead of being prompt.
Fact is I want ( but dont need) a pu rifle and have cash ready to go for one, but I do have a budget to stick to so I can get it the way I want it. If I can not get it with in budget I am willing to walk away and wait for next one or even have reproduction made.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Putting a bayonet on that beautiful sniper rifle is almost as bad as voting for Obama.  Almost!

Even plain jane 91/30s have crept up in price.  Locally where I live, it's hard to walk into a LGS and walk out with a Mosin for < $200
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Truth is we are not real far apart on the price. I know the bayonet wasn't issued with the rifle but it is something I want. The sling and tools are a must have for me. The diffrance we are apart is about the price of a sling and tool set.
I am ready to send him a postal money order once / if we make a deal
What is really hurting the deal is how long it takes to respond to the pm. It gets me thinking  that he may take long time to ship the rifle instead of being prompt.
Fact is I want ( but dont need) a pu rifle and have cash ready to go for one, but I do have a budget to stick to so I can get it the way I want it. If I can not get it with in budget I am willing to walk away and wait for next one or even have reproduction made.
View Quote

That rifle probably shipped without the sling and tools. I know mine came without them.

His price is fair. Honestly, I was thinking I might be able to use another sniper, when I saw the ad. I'm not going to buy it but, if I were in the market, I'd be looking real hard at that one. You aren't going to see deals like that for too much longer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Just made a deal for this rifle.  And put ad up looking for the things I want to go with this rifle..

I have question about the pu sniper rifles.  I have seen several places that the 91/30 shoots better with the bayonet attached and was intended to stay on the rifle most of the time.  If this is true, then why is it not the same for the pu sniper rifle?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Standard 91/30s were supposedly sighted in at the factory with the bayonets attached. The bayonets don't effect accuracy just point of impact.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I always heard that when Mosins were sighted in at the factory, the ones that shot the best groups were pulled to make sniper rifles.  Not sure if that's true or not.  I guess when you mass produce guns, some of them randomly just fit together better than others and are therefore more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Sniper  barrels were hand selected at the factory before mating to the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I did get the listed PU sniper rifle on Easter Sunday. what was a surprise was the seller only lived about an hour drive from me so I went up and bought it.

Right now I have about 3 spam cans of the  47 gr silver tip bullets,  is this the right ammo to feed this rifle?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I always heard that when Mosins were sighted in at the factory, the ones that shot the best groups were pulled to make sniper rifles.  Not sure if that's true or not.  I guess when you mass produce guns, some of them randomly just fit together better than others and are therefore more accurate.
View Quote

This is true.  All rifles were tested and at the factory and rifles that qualified were stamp accordingly.  Not all rifles that qualified were made into sniper rifles.  I have seen stamped rifles that were never converted to a sniper configuration.  Those that were had special trigger work done on them and had scopes and mounts custom fitted to the rifle.  Serial numbers were used to insure that the right scope mounting system stayed with a particular rifle.  The Russians were the only country that actually had a sniper system in WWII.  Other countries simply scoped various rifles.  The Russians had a system to convert the rifles to a sniper configuration and keep track of them.  

Being a sniper was dangerous business.  Soldiers from all armies hated snipers and usually killed them when they were captured.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
147 LPS will work but most surplus LPS isn't renowned for accuracy.

I have found with my PU's that Heavy ball shoots a lot better esp at longer range than any LPS I've ever shot short of real Russian Sniper ammo. Commercial 174-185 gr FMJBT Brown/Silver bear, MFS, PPU 182 FMJ/Match shoot prettygood.

PPU 182 FMJBT is about the best commercial I have tried and it is reloadable, shoots about the same as the surplus Russian Blue Box Match Ball.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I always heard good things about the Czech 147gr silvertip light ball. I bought 1,500rd of the PPU 182gr brass case to try out years ago.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
There is such a thing as Russian sniper ammo but it's expensive

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top