Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 9:01:14 PM EDT
Can someone provide me a source for good information about WWII Enfields? I'm trying to find out more about the rifle pictured below. The serial numbers on the receiver, bolt, and stock match. The magazine is missing.

Markings:

Buttstock- ZF; WL 4/6/5(?) in white paint; B over 32

Front lower forearm- serial number; 23 in white paint

Receiver- No.4 MkI* Long Branch 1944; England

Bolt- serial number

Rear barrel band- Savage "S" mark

Barrel- .303; 2.22; 18.5 Tons

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The "WLH/6/53" is from the 18 Commanmd Workshop at Bovington in Dorset/June/1953.
The "23" I'll assume is a rack number.
The "England" is the country of origin when the rifle was brought over.
The ".303..." marks on the barrel are British proof marks when the rifle was sold out of military stores.
The "No4mk1* Long Branch" is the type of No4 you have and plant it was made at. Only Savage and Long Branch made the mk1*.
And now the bad news, The "ZF" means the rifle should not be shot. I have copied some text from Peter Laidler who was an armourer in the British Army...
"ZF means only one thing. It's got a BIG fault that can't be fixed at a Unit or Field workshops. That's the opinion of the senior examiner and the reason for the Z. The F indicates that it's even worse than that, because it's a Base or Factory repair only."
"Here's a word of advice. Don't shoot a DP or ZF rifle!"
Mr. Laidler can be found at Milsurps.com and has tons of articles about Enfields that will help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not buy a ZF-marked rifle. As said, they are scrap and fit only as wall-hangers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top