Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 11:58:54 AM EDT
My grandmother recently gave me and my brother a few rifles from a family member who passed away.  2 of those rifles were a RIA Springfield 1903, and a bring back K98.  I had submitted my C&R license a couple weeks ago specifically with a K98 in mind, so i was very excited when i got the unexpected call about these rifles a couple days ago.  I have done quite a bit of research, but i have found that most of the websites with info on the Springfield are very hard to navigate unless you already know alot about the rifle.  The K98 is all numbers matching, the bore looks good, as you can see by the pics below the rifle has alot of character which i really like.

I have read that some of the 1903's really are not safe to fire, i think this rifles SN is ok but i would like to double check before i take it to the range.  I also can not find any SN on the bolt besides the little CC stamped above the bolt handle.   Both of these rifles have sat in an attic for who knows how many years, what is the best way to clean up the metal without ruining any character or original finish, and what is the best product to further protect the metal. Sorry i am new to the C&R world, but i am trying to learn as much as i can.  

If anyone has any more info on these rifles i would love to hear it as i am still new to the C&R world, but i am a huge history lover.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Some
   Observations On The Failure

Of U.S. Model 1903 Rifle Receivers

Joseph L. Lyon, M.D., M.P.H.

The heat treating method was immediately changed to a double heat treatment, and
   pyrometers were used to determine the temperature of the heated receivers. The change in
   heat treating was instituted between serial number 750,00 and 800,000 at Springfield and
   by serial number 285,506 at Rock Island Arsenal. Rifles manufactured after these serial
   numbers are referred to as "high numbered" receivers and are commonly stated to
   be safe to shoot.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit those are nice
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some    Observations On The Failure
   Of U.S. Model 1903 Rifle Receivers
   Joseph L. Lyon, M.D., M.P.H.

The heat treating method was immediately changed to a double heat treatment, and    pyrometers were used to determine the temperature of the heated receivers. The change in    heat treating was instituted between serial number 750,00 and 800,000 at Springfield and    by serial number 285,506 at Rock Island Arsenal. Rifles manufactured after these serial    numbers are referred to as "high numbered" receivers and are commonly stated to    be safe to shoot.  

View Quote

Thank you.  That is what i was looking for.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice rifles!

Your RIA M1903 is safe to fire.  It is considered a "high number" receiver.  It was produced in 1919, but later went through at least one arsenal refurbishment, at which time the original barrel was replaced with a December 1944 dated High Standard barrel.  There should be markings stamped on the left side of the stock, in the area around the magazine cutoff, indicating the facility/facilities that did the refurbishing .  Similar to this:

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very nice rifles!

Your RIA M1903 is safe to fire.  It is considered a "high number" receiver.  It was produced in 1919, but later went through at least one arsenal refurbishment, at which time the original barrel was replaced with a December 1944 dated High Standard barrel.  There should be markings stamped on the left side of the stock, in the area around the magazine cutoff, indicating the facility/facilities that did the refurbishing .  Similar to this:

http://www.typo.org/~web/guns/images/m1903-inspection-marks.jpg
View Quote

Yes there is a CSAA in a Square on the side and a Circle P and Square P below the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A boxed "C-SAA" denotes rebuild at San Antonio Arsenal during WW2.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A boxed "C-SAA" denotes rebuild at San Antonio Arsenal during WW2.
View Quote

Wow thanks for the info, its very cool how much info you can find about the history of these rifles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you got a couple of great rifles - I have the same 98K - BYF 44, also bring back

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, those are two good looking rifles! Looks like you're missing a cleaning rod and sight hood on the K98 but those are easy enough to find.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow, those are two good looking rifles! Looks like you're missing a cleaning rod and sight hood on the K98 but those are easy enough to find.
View Quote

Ya i already have a cleaning rod on order.  Also looking for a sling, but everything seems to be reproductions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Www.k98kforum.com
Anything you need to know or buy is on there !
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful rifles
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Same here, mines a Yugoslavian capture though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes there is a CSAA in a Square on the side and a Circle P and Square P below the trigger guard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice rifles!

Any other marks on the left side wrist or butt? Two "P"s means two proofings. The one in the circle could be the original or it could be another rebuild/inspection.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Cc marked bolt is also a ww2 replacement part.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any other marks on the left side wrist or butt? Two "P"s means two proofings. The one in the circle could be the original or it could be another rebuild/inspection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice rifles!

Gave it another look but didnt see any other marks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice rifles!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#18]
DO NOT be temtped to do anything to that 98k....it is oerfect just the way it is...

Don't touch the stock, no steel wool, no varnish, no BLO, and God no, no poly...to a collector, that is everything one looks for....

It would be hard to improve on.

Its one of he commonest year/code combo's, but its uncommonly nice and unmessed with....

ETA I might get a sight hood and cleaning rod for it, but don't bother with a repro sling, 98% are crappy....
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
DO NOT be temtped to do anything to that 98k....it is oerfect just the way it is...

Don't touch the stock, no steel wool, no varnish, no BLO, and God no, no poly...to a collector, that is everything one looks for....

It would be hard to improve on.

Its one of he commonest year/code combo's, but its uncommonly nice and unmessed with....

ETA I might get a sight hood and cleaning rod for it, but don't bother with a repro sling, 98% are crappy....
View Quote

Dont worry, i am not touching it besides adding some oil to protect the metal,  i have already bought an original cleaning rod, and sighthood, not sure if i am going to install the sight hood yet though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top