Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
My buddy is a Realtor and is listing our house for us for next to nothing.  He's into Mosins and wants a carbine but just won't go out and buy one.  So, I want to buy one for him, but I know nothing about them.  What should I look for?  I know AIM has them from time to time.  Are those specimens any good?  Anything in particular I should look for or anyplace in particular I should buy it?  What is a decent price?  I've seen them for $220 or so, is that average and are they any good at that price?  What about a case of ammo?  I literally know nothing other than its 7.62x54r

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My buddy is a Realtor and is listing our house for us for next to nothing.  He's into Mosins and wants a carbine but just won't go out and buy one.  So, I want to buy one for him, but I know nothing about them.  What should I look for?  I know AIM has them from time to time.  Are those specimens any good?  Anything in particular I should look for or anyplace in particular I should buy it?  What is a decent price?  I've seen them for $220 or so, is that average and are they any good at that price?  What about a case of ammo?  I literally know nothing other than its 7.62x54r

Thanks guys.
View Quote

The M44 is the most common and can be had for around $200. The M38 is a little more uncommon, and can be had for around $300. The M44 has an integral fold-out bayonet, and the M38 does not. The 91/59 is even rarer and naturally more expensive. The ones from AIM were pretty clean (I think they might still have M44s in stock), and they also have surplus 7.62x54r from 3 different countries for around $220 per 880 rd crate shipped. Sweet guns to get into and it would be a good idea to buy them soon as the prices are only going up. He should also buy a few crates of the surplus ammo as it will dry up too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
AIM has some M44s in stock right now, for $239.95. (311 in stock)

They're probably your best bet, unless you want to hit the local stores/shows/armslist.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=1635&name=Russian+Mosin+Nagant+Model+1944+7.62x54R+Carbine

All my dealings with AIM have been great and their reputation is stellar. If I were looking right now, I'd be talking to them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're probably your best bet, unless you want to hit the local stores/shows/armslist.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=1635&name=Russian+Mosin+Nagant+Model+1944+7.62x54R+Carbine

All my dealings with AIM have been great and their reputation is stellar. If I were looking right now, I'd be talking to them.
View Quote

Wow, I remember when they wouldn't sell at  $70.00 each
I still bought 4

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I still bought 4

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still bought 4

Those days are over, for carbines and rifles.

I can remember when Service Grade Garands were ~$400.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend an M38, I've owned both.  It is my understanding that the Point of Impact changes depending on whether or not the bayonet is extended.

The M38 is also a little lighter but I think it is literally the right size.  Lots of noise and fireballs.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If he's really doing you a huge solid financially, and it sounds like he is saving you about $10K or so, spring for a Polish one.  That would be $400-$500 and would be near mint.  Alternatively for less money you could find a Russian Tula one, or perhaps a Romanian or Hungarian one.  If you want to stick to Russians, you may want to look around for a 1943 M44, or a 1946-1948.  A spam can of ammo would be appreciated as well, that would be another $100.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
They still go for $125 private sale around here. I bought a carbine for $125 and resold it for $180 privately here last year. Check your local private sale market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They still go for $125 private sale around here. I bought a carbine for $125 and resold it for $180 privately here last year. Check your local private sale market.
View Quote

I think that would be a T53.  You don't often see Russians in the $125 range unless they're beat to piss.  That said, I got a pretty nice 1946 one from AIM for $100 shipped.  Had a few rust spots but nothing major.  I was over the moon with it for $100.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If he's really doing you a huge solid financially, and it sounds like he is saving you about $10K or so, spring for a Polish one.  That would be $400-$500 and would be near mint.  Alternatively for less money you could find a Russian Tula one, or perhaps a Romanian or Hungarian one.  If you want to stick to Russians, you may want to look around for a 1943 M44, or a 1946-1948.  A spam can of ammo would be appreciated as well, that would be another $100.
View Quote

This is great stuff. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think that would be a T53.  You don't often see Russians in the $125 range unless they're beat to piss.  That said, I got a pretty nice 1946 one from AIM for $100 shipped.  Had a few rust spots but nothing major.  I was over the moon with it for $100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno. I paid $120 for a M38, in better condition than the one I already owned, about a year ago.

Now, that IS more the exception than the rule, but it IS possible to run across deals, from time to time. I wouldn't count on finding one, unless you're willing to spend some time into looking for one, though. You'll probably eventually find something, but you're going to have to work at it.

In the end, it's just easier to pay full price, instead of "working off" the difference.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember, heavy ball ammo out of these carbines especially will thump ones shoulder!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned all of them over the years.  The best was an M39 Mosin.  If you can find one of those, keep it for yourself. They are fine shooters!  M44s are fun and cheap.  They kick like a mule  so I used to keep a towel handy to serve as a pussy pad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I dunno. I paid $120 for a M38, in better condition than the one I already owned, about a year ago.

Now, that IS more the exception than the rule, but it IS possible to run across deals, from time to time. I wouldn't count on finding one, unless you're willing to spend some time into looking for one, though. You'll probably eventually find something, but you're going to have to work at it.

In the end, it's just easier to pay full price, instead of "working off" the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's way more the exception than the rule.  I'm sure someone out there purchased a pristine Russian SKSs last year for $100.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's way more the exception than the rule.  I'm sure someone out there purchased a pristine Russian SKSs last year for $100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why I kinda waved him off, unless he wants to do a LOT of footwork. Honestly, when I found this one, I wasn't really looking.

I'd HATE that SKS guy.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually looking for a beat to piss Russian Mosin. In the 90s, right about the time the $89 SKS supply dried up, you could get a beat up Mosin for $59 or less. Now all I see are decent looking(for a Mosin) rearsenaled ones. Nobody seems to know where the beat up ones are. People just embarrassed by the condition compared to what can be had for just a bit more?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top