Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2015 9:40:16 PM EDT
Hey y'all,

I've recently gotten a peaked interest in collecting WWII era goods, specifically weapons. What does the hive say about the K98's? I would be interested to use it occasionally for hunting white tail, but mostly as a display item.

Also while I'm here...From a collection stand point, what WWII era weapons/gear should I consider adding to the display?

~CBM
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the K98... always wanted one, but they're over $1000 for a matching parts one that wasn't captured by the Russians.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
They are fantastic guns, great history, strong actions.

The main couple you will see are "RC" k98s and bringback K98s.
The Germans were anal about serializing everything so for the most part just about everything has a serial number or waffen on it somewhere.

RC means Russian Captured.  When the Russians captured the guns they basically took them apart, sorted them, peened (somewhat) the swastikas, and then assembled rifles back together from the bins to put the guns into storage for their usage later (possibly by the Russians against whoever).
Typically the barrels will match the receivers and barrels will match but the rest tends to be a hodgepodge of parts from early to late and anywhere in between.  They are still good shooters and "beaters" so to speak.  Very functional, great way to enter the k98 arena.
Bringbacks are what the name implies.  Some are duffle cut under the front barrel band where the stock was cut to fit in boxes/bags and be brought home by GIs.  Sometimes all the parts will match - including the bolt, barrel bands, receiver, stock, sights, etc.  These command the big money - and certain years makers can send the price into the stratosphere.
A more affordable version of the bringback type a bolt mis-match.  Rumor is that the guns were grabbed up, all bolts removed and placed in a secure location until the GIs were ready to leave/ship the gun home.  When they left or got ready to send it home, they would just grab a bolt from the bin and send it.  So what you will see if a totally matching or mostly matching gun, and then the bolt and all it's parts will match itself but not the gun.

Then there are the bastard stepchildren of the k98 world - totally refinished guns by companies like Mitchells Mausers.  They take an unmatching gun, refinish it, re-serial number all the parts, refinish the stock, and then make it out to be an all matching gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Another option if you just want a K98 is one of the Yugos that were captured and remarked by them with the Yugo crest.  There are some that still have some of the swastikas but most were scrubbed.  The "Mod 98" marking is usually still present, though.  Technically, it is a "German" Mauser, just scrubbed of its markings.  They can usually be had pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you just want to have one K98, I'd recommend a Russian captured one. They have some intense history, especially if you find one from the late '30s. A lot of them saw heavy combat before they were lost or surrendered. Think Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The 7.92 Mauser is a very good round. Almost 30'06 ballistics.  The actions are strong - fire a few rounds and have a smith look at the head-space.  A good rifle will be good out to much longer range than your average shooter can hold.  Should be good for any game you choose to try in North America.  A good clean bore and good crown will yield great accuracy. There is a lot of aftermarket stocks and information to dress up the old war horse.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a late war (44) BYF K98. Aside from the obvious attraction to the rifle, its the most ergonomic 'traditional' rifle I've ever held.

The LOP is perfect for me. I've actually considered putting together a modern clone as a target rifle.

I'd love to find a German action to use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey y'all,

I've recently gotten a peaked interest in collecting WWII era goods, specifically weapons. What does the hive say about the K98's? I would be interested to use it occasionally for hunting white tail, but mostly as a display item.

Also while I'm here...From a collection stand point, what WWII era weapons/gear should I consider adding to the display?

~CBM
View Quote

From a collection standpoint, the WWII weapons and gear you add is entirely up to you. I have several WWII weapons from the U.S., Russia, Japan, Australia, Poland, Spain, and Germany. I have gear mainly for my U.S. stuff, but that is to my choosing.

As for a K98, get one. The Mauser action is sweet. It has been the basis for many rifles over the years. That includes the M1903 and eventually the Remington 700 (still used today). Whether you are able to get a "bringback" or a "Russian Capture", you will have a fine hunting rifle.

Here is my 1936 Mauser S/42 K98

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Go for it.

HDH.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
that's pretty dang impressive.

where do you get your slings?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Makes me regret not getting one back when Mitchell's Mausers started selling them for relatively cheap. I never seem to take an interest in surplus guns until they dry up and the prices double or triple. I sure wish I would have bought more of the Russian SKS's back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Love 98k, though they are not my main focus. If i see a deal i usually roll with them.

1940 Erma Duffle Cut Restore:

1937 Mauser Produced for the Portuguese Contract - German Issued - Deactivated in Germany - reactivated in states. The bolt barrel are a mismatch because of this. Everything else is matching down to the locking screws. I paid 100$ less than a RC goes for.

1937 S/142 - RC From Aim

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If you do plan to use it occasionally for deer hunting, then go with the Russian Capture route. In the conditions I hunt in, I wouldnt take one of my vet bring backs out into the field, but thats just me

Keep in mind though, barrel / bore condition should be a huge concern if you plan to actually use it, and hit the target. I took a gamble on my first RC K98 when I was 21 or so, and the barrel was so bad it would sometimes miss a 2'X3' target completely at 100 yards.

Other than that, make sure the action is nice and snug in the stock, and you use quality ammo. I can get 1" groups repeatedly with my RC K98 and some of my Vet bring back K98s with my own reloaded ammo.

As for additional collectable items, for you I would say get a nice K98 bayonet and scabbard for starters, but if you move into the helmets / medals / flags etc area, there are a LOT of fake / reproduction items out there, and plenty of guys willing to rip you off. make an account on www.k98kforum.com and learn, and browse the trader section.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all of the replies, folks!!! I'm totally fine with a RC version of the K98 honestly...I feel that it may have more history, which is what I'm mostly going for..Something that might have a story to tell and that I can pass down to my son. I definitely would like one that still has some german paraphenalia on it though. I'm actually having a fairly tough time finding one though. :-/
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go for it.
View Quote

Definitely!

- RC 1937 German K98k produced by J.P. Sauer und Sohn
- RC 1939 German K98k produced by Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabrik
- Postwar Czech K98k produced by CZ Brno
- Postwar Yugoslavian rework of a German K98k (unknown original maker)
- 1950s Israeli K98k produced by FN and later rechambered to 7.62 NATO by the IDF

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Great 1937 S42

I got this 1937 S42 last week -

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Did the K98 ever have a straight bolt handle? I know absolutely nothing about these Mausers and am not sure what markings to look for, but at a gunshow this weekend there was what was labeled a "German issue K98" that had a straight bolt handle. But he had other Mausers such as a Yugo and a Chilean and some others but I don't know what markings I should be looking for. I did see another K98 which was listed as being German marked and having matching numbers. I think he wanted $1600 for it. I know that things are generally overpriced at gunshows, but are matching Mausers really going for that much?

Can those Yugo M48 Mausers take the German K98 stock that has the cutout where the bolt handle is and has that circular disk In the butstock?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did the K98 ever have a straight bolt handle? I know absolutely nothing about these Mausers and am not sure what markings to look for, but at a gunshow this weekend there was what was labeled a "German issue K98" that had a straight bolt handle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did the K98 ever have a straight bolt handle? I know absolutely nothing about these Mausers and am not sure what markings to look for, but at a gunshow this weekend there was what was labeled a "German issue K98" that had a straight bolt handle.

No, they did not.  All K98ks had turned down bolt handles.  However, the German military during WW2 did use some other Mauser 98 variants that had straight bolt handles, such as the Vz. 24/G24t, Gewehr 98, Wz. 29, etc.  And a K98k will accept the bolt from many other Mauser 98s, including straight handled bolts.  So it could have been something other than a K98k, or it could have been a K98k with some other sort of bolt installed.

I did see another K98 which was listed as being German marked and having matching numbers. I think he wanted $1600 for it. I know that things are generally overpriced at gunshows, but are matching Mausers really going for that much?

Yes.  That's not out of line for an all original, all matching, good condition K98k.  Especially if it was a rare receiver code, or had some other sort of interesting feature that adds to the value.

Can those Yugo M48 Mausers take the German K98 stock that has the cutout where the bolt handle is and has that circular disk In the butstock?

No.  The Yugoslavian M48 and M24/47 have an intermediate-length receiver, compared to the standard-length receiver used on the K98k.  Stocks will not interchange between them, due to the differences in receiver length.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw something the other day at my LGS that would make a K98 collector cry. The owner asked me to look at a sported K98 and it was what was left of a matching byf 45 full Kriegmodel!

All the metal had been buffed to hell and gone and bright blued. The stock was chopped, sanded, stained, and varnished. It was not even worth a rescue unless someone wanted to make a fake sniper or something. Sigh....Another Barrel-O-Mausers sporter.

It would have looked like this in full trim.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Whats the large button looking thing on the butt end of the stock?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whats the large button looking thing on the butt end of the stock?
View Quote

The bolt takedown disk.  It allows you to compress the firing pin spring so that you can remove the cocking piece, as part of disassembling the bolt.

Late war and postwar K98ks omitted that, and simply had a hole drilled in the toe of the buttplate/buttstock.  You can see that in the middle and bottom K98ks in the photo I posted above (the Czech and Israeli K98ks).  

It's not 100% necessary.  Some of the other Mauser 98s didn't have any sort of bolt takedown hole/disk altogether, in which case the firing pin assembly was usually compressed using just a wooden surface.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#21]
So if I want a K98 that a German soldier carried in WWII that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (such as one with matching numbers), I should look at a Russian capture K98? I suppose something like this? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467505364

I see that this one has the eagle markings on it. Is that common on a Russian capture or did they normally stamp them out?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So if I want a K98 that a German soldier carried in WWII that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (such as one with matching numbers), I should look at a Russian capture K98?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So if I want a K98 that a German soldier carried in WWII that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (such as one with matching numbers), I should look at a Russian capture K98?

Yes.

I see that this one has the eagle markings on it. Is that common on a Russian capture or did they normally stamp them out?

The eagle proof marks themselves were not usually stamped/scratched out on RC K98ks, though there are some examples of other captured K98ks that have had the entire eagle defaced.  Instead, the swastika just below the eagle is sometimes defaced with a round punch on some RC K98ks (but not all).

Standard proof mark:

Defaced/"peened" proof mark on a RC:

Here's an example of a non-RC K98k that has had all of the proof marks thoroughly obliterated with a chisel:
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes you can find a bolt MM 98k for around RC pricing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes.

The eagle proof marks themselves were not usually stamped/scratched out on RC K98ks, though there are some examples of other captured K98ks that have had the entire eagle defaced.  Instead, the swastika just below the eagle is sometimes defaced with a round punch on some RC K98ks (but not all).

Standard proof mark:
http://i44.tinypic.com/11spoh1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/germanservicerifles/1939660steyrk98k/DSC02058aMedium.jpg

Here's an example of a non-RC K98k that has had all of the proof marks thoroughly obliterated with a chisel:
http://i48.tinypic.com/optugz.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Standard proof mark:
http://i44.tinypic.com/11spoh1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/germanservicerifles/1939660steyrk98k/DSC02058aMedium.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/optugz.jpg

I'm not interested in this one, but it appears that the eagle proof marks have been completely peened out. What would have been the story behind this? What country would have used/done this?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467803686
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Definitely!

- 1950s Israeli K98k produced by FN and later rechambered to 7.62 NATO by the IDF

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n416/RogueJSK/Mobile%20Uploads/20140913_120544_zpsllmxg79u.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go for it.

Definitely!

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n416/RogueJSK/Mobile%20Uploads/20140913_120544_zpsllmxg79u.jpg

Way to go!

HDH.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not interested in this one, but it appears that the eagle proof marks have been completely peened out. What would have been the story behind this? What country would have used/done this?
View Quote

K98ks with completely defaced proof marks, either with numerous punch marks or the chisel marks I posted above, are typically associated with Romania and various other Balkan states.  They're usually referred to as "Romanian Capture" or "Balkan Capture" K98ks.  They tend to have very worn metal and wood, and lack the dark reblueing and shellacked stocks typical of Russian Capture rifles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I wish i had a k98k

I remember when i was in the army seeing them in shotgun news for cheap. Now that i want one i cant freakin find one lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I've been keeping my eye out for one in decent shape for a decent price and so far, nothing...But I'm also looking for one with the markings intact. How much should I consider reasonable for a russian captured with markings intact?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I got both of mine within the last two years for $300 apiece.  Both are in excellent shape with intact markings.  But that's slightly below market value.  Figure ~$400, with rifles with less common receiver codes being higher.

There are plenty of people asking $500/$600/$700 for RC K98s right now, but that's excessive.  You can get a non-refurbished bolt mismatch for those prices.  Just be patient, and keep an eye on various online milsurp forums.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got both of mine within the last two years for $300 apiece.  Both are in excellent shape with intact markings.  But that's slightly below market value.  Figure ~$400, with rifles with less common receiver codes being higher.

There are plenty of people asking $500/$600/$700 for RC K98s right now, but that's excessive.  You can get a non-refurbished bolt mismatch for those prices.  Just be patient, and keep an eye on various online milsurp forums.
View Quote

+1

I consider a RC to be worth $360 +/- in Minnesota. The dealers who have them on their tables for $500+, have the same rifles at every show. They might find a sucker eventually.

Ive got 4 vet bringback / bolt mismatch rifles, One I snagged on pure luck for $350, the others were 750-850 ( BEAUTIFUL shape mint bore 1937 and 1939 rifles with original slings, etc )
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#31]
You have to be careful not to get hosed on humped Bring backs.  They get sanded, remarked, modified you name it.  RC's and Yugo's make good shooters and are a safe place to start for a beginner.  On RC's look for a good barrel and late war guns are usually the best.  RC's are put together out of bins of parts so the tolerances don't always meet German specs but these can be found on web.  A couple hours of shiming and they are good.  Yugo's were rearsenaled and if still matching via restamp they are in spec thus they shoot pretty good from the get go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guess I'll have to register and find a few of these boards then. Gunbroker just seems insane with how many variables there are... plus I feel I'd trust a 5+ year member at a gun board more than some gun shop guy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Guess I'll have to register and find a few of these boards then. Gunbroker just seems insane with how many variables there are... plus I feel I'd trust a 5+ year member at a gun board more than some gun shop guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your best bet is....

http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

By far the most knowledgeable group of guys out there on the 98k....tons of info, lots of pic stickies for reference...good trader board too...
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#34]
BYF 44 an uncle brought back - sat in a closet in Illinois for about 50 years. Great shooter

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I love my K98. Its a DOU 43. I originally bought it off a friend for about 150 bucks. It was a hacked, sporterized POS. The original 7.92 barrel was burnt out. So, I completely refurnished the rifle.

Refurnished an old, beat to hell DOU stock with boiled linseed oil.

Mounted a repro Long Side Rail mount and original Picar Berlin 4x German #4 post reticle

Free-floated the barrel per German army specs, save the last bit of front-end stock

Rebarrled it with a Norwegian Kongsberg .308 barrel

Installed a Timney trigger group.

I now have about a 1 MOA K98 sniper rifle chambered in 7.62x51.

Target engaged at 450 Meters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#37]
^ wow !
I would love to see results if it were still in 8mm
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
^ wow !
I would love to see results if it were still in 8mm
View Quote

Yup! I need that rifle...lol
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Prices on K98s are going nowhere but UP...a Russian capture would be a good entry level choice if you can find one in the $300-$400 range.

As far as other WWII rifles to collect, I would strongly suggest ordering an M1 Garand from the CMP as soon as you can. They won't be available forever!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love my K98. Its a DOU 43. I originally bought it off a friend for about 150 bucks. It was a hacked, sporterized POS. The original 7.92 barrel was burnt out. So, I completely refurnished the rifle.

Refurnished an old, beat to hell DOU stock with boiled linseed oil.

Mounted a repro Long Side Rail mount and original Picar Berlin 4x German #4 post reticle

Free-floated the barrel per German army specs, save the last bit of front-end stock

Rebarrled it with a Norwegian Kongsberg .308 barrel

Installed a Timney trigger group.

I now have about a 1 MOA K98 sniper rifle chambered in 7.62x51.

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/whatsinaname181/media/0213141307e_zpsced0ef4e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/whatsinaname181/0213141307e_zpsced0ef4e.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/whatsinaname181/media/0213141304a_zps64791d08.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/whatsinaname181/0213141304a_zps64791d08.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/whatsinaname181/media/0213141305_zps4c51fa57.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/whatsinaname181/0213141305_zps4c51fa57.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/whatsinaname181/media/0222141224a_zps0af3c2b1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/whatsinaname181/0222141224a_zps0af3c2b1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/whatsinaname181/media/0222141351b_zpsd860bb60.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/whatsinaname181/0222141351b_zpsd860bb60.jpg</a>
Target engaged at 450 Meters.
View Quote

"If" you ever decide to part with that please let me know. Great job on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Prices on K98s are going nowhere but UP...a Russian capture would be a good entry level choice if you can find one in the $300-$400 range.

As far as other WWII rifles to collect, I would strongly suggest ordering an M1 Garand from the CMP as soon as you can. They won't be available forever!
View Quote

I've got an Springfield M1 currently and my Dad is willing to sell me his fathers GI bring back 6.5 jap. Not sure what type exactly, I'll have to get an ID on that eventually. I'd like to get a Mosin at some point and obviously a K98...Just having a hard time finding one in the 3-400 range. Been keeping an eye out, but no luck so far.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#42]
There have been around 10 RC K98s sold in the $350-$450 range on the CMP forum in the last month or so.  Most of them were offered by the same seller, who appeared to be paring down his collection.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Very similar to the original poster my interest has been peaked lately collecting some older firearms.  I was wondering if you guys had some recommendation on where to look for a all numbers matching German K98k.  Any recommended people or dealers contact information would be much appreciated.

I fully understand these aren't cheap but I don't want to get taken advantage off from being newer to this game so I was thinking somewhere in the $1,000 - $1,500 area, is this accurate?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very similar to the original poster my interest has been peaked lately collecting some older firearms.  I was wondering if you guys had some recommendation on where to look for a all numbers matching German K98k.  Any recommended people or dealers contact information would be much appreciated.

I fully understand these aren't cheap but I don't want to get taken advantage off from being newer to this game so I was thinking somewhere in the $1,000 - $1,500 area, is this accurate?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
View Quote

Probably a bit on the low side, unfortunately...here is a good one for sale... http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?17221-WTS-K98k-ce-42-slant-script-matching

Ham is a good guy, and its a good rifle....

Watch the trader board on the forum, good guns show up here quite a bit.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#45]
maybe you should cruise the pawn shops for a 98K.  They seem to sell cheaper in pawn shops than they do on the net.

I bought a Norwegian capture, rebarrelled to 30-06, HERR version last year for $200.  everything but the barrel was matching, they even recycled the rear site, the original 8mm is under the remarked 30-06 slide.  Its a very accurate rifle too, my favorite 98K.

The guy told me it was converted to 30-06 by the US Govt, he didn't know what it was, I made an offer, he took it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#46]
You can get some with mostly matching parts non russian captured for under $500 still if you look hard enough.

I have a non-import marked non russian captured K98 with all matching parts except for one for less than $500 recently.  Bought it at a gun store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top