Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 10:24:09 AM EDT
I was recently gifted a sporterized Czech Mauser and am looking for a little info on it. From what I've found around the net, I believe it to be a Vz. 24, but not sure if it's one of the off-shoot variants.  Any help to approx. the model, date of manufacture and history is greatly appreciated.  I'll be looking to replace the stock with a more correct one, and also adding back parts that are missing (like the front sight protector).  I couldn't grab too many pics when I first tore it down, but can add more if needed.  I also need to make sure of the caliber, 7MM or 8MM.  The person who gifted it to me hadn't shot it in over 40 years and doesn't trust his memory...

Details :

The rifle was scrubbed of any crest and most markings, but there are a few left.
The left side of the action reads "CESKOSLOVENSKA ZBROJOVKA, A.S., BRNO" with no model number.
The serial is 4 digits, 57XX. It appears on the left side of the chamber (partially worn off), no prefix, and on the turned down bolt handle.
The only other markings are a shield on the left side of the barrel under the wood line (I think it reads "dot / 18"), and the numbers 45 and 10 (aligned perpendicular on the left side of the barrel in two different fonts). Along with what looks like a couple proof marks.
The barrel looks good, rifling is strong with very little to no frost in the grooves.
The front sight base has grooves cut into the sides, possibly for a protector or hood?
I believe it's currently in a cut down kriegsmodell? stock.

Here's an album of the few pics I initially took.  Thanks for looking!

http://imgur.com/a/Xo5Qi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an Izzy K98K made up on a czech reciever. A VZ24 wouldn't have that style rear sight base or a cutout for a front sight hood. If it doesn't say "7.62" in big letters on top of the reciever ring, it was most likely 8mm Mauser. The pic you have titled "front barrel band" is actually the rear barrel band. You also have the post war czech made stamped triggergaurd. I'd almost bet that say izreali service but hard to tell with the front half of the stock missing. The shield and markings denote where the barrel was made and who inspected it. That barrel likely is a BRNO  made in 1945 under german occupation. The czechs built alot of K98s postwar from existing stock. THis may be one. It also might not have had a crest at all and not scrubbed. Again, it would be easier if we could see the top of the receiver ring.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
I'll get some more and better pics of the receiver ring and markings tonight and update the album.  

I'm looking on Numrich and other sites for a stock.  Assuming this is a late or post war build, would a K98K stock be more correct?  If I can't find a nice one, would a Vz 24 stock fit with the rear sight base?
It was a freebie, so putting some money into it isn't an issue. But it doesn't necessarily have to be correct, either.  This is my first Mauser, so it's all new territory for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a post war 98k made at the dot factory in CZ.  The receiver was scrubbed prior to surplus sale. The stamped trigger guard is normal for these as is the Brno sidewall markings on the receiver. Not a VZ receiver, but is in fact a 98k receiver....either made during or after the war. they were in 8mm Mauser cal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, SAMCO was a big importer of these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a post war 98k made at the dot factory in CZ.  The receiver was scrubbed prior to surplus sale. The stamped trigger guard is normal for these as is the Brno sidewall markings on the receiver. Not a VZ receiver, but is in fact a 98k receiver....either made during or after the war. they were in 8mm Mauser cal.
View Quote

Yep!  

This is what it would have looked like in original configuration:

With Czech lion proof marks on the receiver and barrel:
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
brilliant fellas!

That looks just like what I'm seeing. Serial # in the same place, Czech lion proofs, and the dot shield.  I appreciate the help!

I plan to get a front sight hood and a small trigger guard (to have more of a war era look, my stamped one is pretty junky lookin').
One of these stocks should give it the correct look. J&G 98k Stock

Anyone have experience with any of these and what condition they're in?  

Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
it a post war Czech K98k pattern 8mm mauser. 1946-1948 made
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top