Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 4:44:12 PM EDT

AIM got some K31 and I want a few.  Have anyone here brought a K31 from AIM and can tell me the overall condition?  Was the barrel nice and shiny?    Is it worth paying extra for hand select?  AIM is claiming it's they best shipment yet.  Thank.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
question of the day- hows the import mark.

Most k11/31s have VG - VG+ bores due to them shooting non corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They just put them up yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The add says the import mark is "discreet" but had no picture showing it.  I got stuck with one of their previous K31 that had a huge import mark across the back of the receiver, it shoots good but looks horrible.  Paid for a hand select and no way to know if it was any better than the other ones, K31s tend to have beat up stocks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a beech stock K31 from AIM a few years ago for about $70-80 less than what they're listed for now. It was a typical K31; beat up stock and a great shooter. Very happy with the purchase. The import mark is pretty tiny and on the left side of the rear sight base (same spot as the current batch). I'm strongly thinking about selling one of my beeches and picking up a walnut K31 from AIM. And perhaps a Chinese SKS as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just order  a walnut stock K31 from AIM.  I will post pictures once I get it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Also ordered one today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also ordered one today.
View Quote

Walnut or beech stock?  Did you do hand select?  Thank!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also ordered one today.

Yep did both. Now I'm trying to resist the temptation to go get the bayonet.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also ordered one today.

So you got two rifles?  A beech and walnut?  If so lucky you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also ordered one today.

Nah I meant I got a hand select walnut. My bad.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one of their last ones. Big billboard, but it was better than not having one. I saw they listed bayonets, slings, and muzzle covers so I got those for mine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm very curious to see the import mark on the new batch.  Post up when you guys get yours please.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Left side, under rear sight. VERY discreet. You can't hardly see it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Will surplus 7.5x55 pass the magnet test?  Meaning it won't attract to a magnet..  Thank.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
No, it is slightly magnetic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine just came in today - here are a few shots:

I'm happy with the overall condition:

The import mark is on the left of the receiver under the rear sight:

Here's a closer look:

Anyone that says a word 'bout mah dead-sexy ironin' board gets a knuckle sandwich!  

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#17]
My 1911 long rifle arrived today and the import stamp is very discreet.

edit:  forgot this was about K31's
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 1911 long rifle arrived today and the import stamp is very discreet.

<a href="http://s869.photobucket.com/user/StraightShooterinNE/media/Swiss%201911%20Long%20Rifle/DSC_0922_zpswtgc4jty.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab251/StraightShooterinNE/Swiss%201911%20Long%20Rifle/DSC_0922_zpswtgc4jty.jpg</a>

edit:  forgot this was about K31's
View Quote

My 1911K is scheduled for a Monday delivery. [Cry]

But that's a great looking K31 there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked mine up from the FFL. The stock is a beauty!
Serial# says it was made in 1938 1935.
Tag under the buttstock too!

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Won't get my until Monday!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
One thing about mine is the bluing has been worn through on the left side of the receiver, trigger guard, and magazine. Seems the previous owner wore it slung on his shoulder a lot.

I ran a bore snake through it once and the barrel is damn near perfect.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine arrives Monday also!! Got a walnut, hand select coming . Also ordered the cap and sling and a select bayonet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My 1911 Karabiner. I hope you don't mind.

Hand select was definitely worth it. Thus thing is a beaut! Especially for a 1918 vintage.

Got the cheaper bayonet and it's just as nice. Got the sling and muzzle cap too. The sling looks aged and adjusts easily. But the 1980 date seems off on the classic rifle. After all that was two years after I graduated from high school. It's still new. Right?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If any are marked "P" near the original Swiss markings, that means the rifle was transferred to private ownership.  I'm not sure how the importers get these, I guess they scour Switzerland gun shops or have K31 buy back programs in Switzerland.  I have 5 K31s, two are marked "P".
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My 1911 Karabiner. I hope you don't mind.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/IMAG1023.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/IMAG1023.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/titan68/media/Firearms/IMAG1025.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/titan68/Firearms/IMAG1025.jpg</a>

Hand select was definitely worth it. Thus thing is a beaut! Especially for a 1918 vintage.

Got the cheaper bayonet and it's just as nice. Got the sling and muzzle cap too. The sling looks aged and adjusts easily. But the 1980 date seems off on the classic rifle. After all that was two years after I graduated from high school. It's still new. Right?
View Quote

Wowza that looks nice!  

A guy on another forum posted that he got the K11 serial number 9.  That was a pretty nice score as well!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I got my K31 from AIM Surplus this week

Ammo also from AIM with a .308 round for comparison

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
My K31 handpick from AIM with a walnut stock. Overall I'm fairly happy with the rifle (all matching, 1944 production, troop-tag), but I wish the stock looked more on the walnut side and not so similar to my beech stock K31s. Next to each other you can hardly differentiate the walnut from beech stock. It's rather dinged up compared to some of the beauties they've shipped out over the past few months but I don't really care about that (adds character). Just wish the walnut appearance was more prevalent as I've never seen one this light in color.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
So can anyone confirm by looking at the pics I posted that I do indeed have a walnut stock? I have three beech K31s and this one is as lightly colored as two of them. Next to my K11 this K31 looks worlds apart colorwise. I don't really see any of the telltale "maggot marks" that are present on the beech stocks except for the one pic I posted which shows the underside of the rifle with the magazine serial number whited out. Up and to the right of the mag, there appears to be very, very, very faint maggot marks (but they are nowhere near as prominent as on a beech stock) which would indicate beech wood. Light marks like that though could also be a feature inherent in walnut perhaps.  

So, could some of you Swiss rifle experts chime in here? I read on swisrifles.com that the beech stocks were entered into production in 1946, starting with serial number 868,901. Mine is about 43k lower than that. I've also read that they may have started the conversion earlier but can't remember where that was read. Anybody have a K31 with serial #'s dating to 1944 that has a similar lightly colored walnut stock?

On swissrifles I also read that in 1944 there was a different kind of metal (Chromium Molybdenum) that was briefly used due to supply shortages before the change back to Chromium Nickel Steel. Hopefully I didn't get one with an inferior metal composition. Would have no way of knowing though unless that was another area the experts can help out with  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
The operating rods should have all been replaced, but you never know

Here's some information on it

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/1070/K31-accidentSAFETY-CHECKS#.VQsqE-FRKYK
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The operating rods should have all been replaced, but you never know

Here's some information on it

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/1070/K31-accidentSAFETY-CHECKS#.VQsqE-FRKYK
View Quote

Thank you for the post/link and that seems like an excellent forum in which to address my K31 questions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
not from AIM but I picked it up today for $300.

Shot a whopping 10 rounds this morning but I LIKE it!

Need to find a buttpad to increase the LOP and order a case of ammo.

DSC_5702 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked my handpick beech rifle up from the FFL today. I am happy with it, it is a very fair deal. The break down:

Good:
1) Exceptional stock (paid for beech, might be walnut, 1944 dated) with beech handguard (does not match rifle or stock)
2) Matching bolt and barrel
3) Perfect bore (I don't have a ME gauge but it passes the "bullet test" and looks fantastic)
4) Pretty good import mark

Not as great (but still pretty good)
1) Non-matching magazine
2) Non-matching stock and hand guard

I would have liked a matching stock and magazine (and maybe a little less wear on the receiver) for my handpick fee but it's a very fine rifle. From looking at Simpson's site I suspect I would have paid a little more for the same rifle. I was also able to pick up the sling, muzzle cap, and brand new bayonet for a very good deal. The stock is in very fine condition with only a few minor dings, not the beaver chewing some have on them, it is odd to me that another rifle's stock and a different rifle's handguard ended up on this rifle but it does have a rebuild mark on the tang so I suppose it happened then? The handguard looks to be beech and it is shellacked but it matches very, very close to stock. I assume the stock is walnut based on appearance and date. The accessories that came with the rifle were in good shape and very functional, the bayonet was new, obviously.

A great example of a K31!

Pics:

Import mark:

Action close up:

Stock, showing stamp, knot hole repair and good condition overall:

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I broke my K31 down today. Matching stock (January 44') and handguard which makes me a happy camper Still need to eventually get one of those dark walnut K31s down the road but will most likely go with Simpsons for that (even though I'll be paying sales tax).

@ Mrf2 - Troop tag?

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#35]
No troop tag.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No troop tag.
View Quote

Not all K31s had troop tags. Mine did not, I bought it years ago at a local pawnshop when they were $89.

I fact of the four Swiss rifles I have only one came with a troop tag. The G1911. But the 11K didn't. Nor the 96/11.

It's really hit or miss unless you buy from a place that does handpick for it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Every one of the five K31s I have except for the unissued one came with troop tags, so I suspect most of them do have tags (at least by the time the K31 was in use).  Of the four that have troop tags, two of those are marked with a "P" meaning the gun was transferred to the soldier for private use.  I'm not sure how the importers get the ones transferred to private ownership, I guess they have a "gun buy back" program in Switzerland, but for K31s.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anybody have a K31 with serial #'s dating to 1944 that has a similar lightly colored walnut stock?
View Quote

This is my 831xxx (1944) from AIM back in 2006.  Not really darker per se, but definitely more distinct lines running the length of the stock, although that may be from the lighting in your pics (flash?) obscuring them.

Yours:

eta: From another forum (not my rifles) but good example of the difference between walnut and beech:

Another:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#39]
@ silascobb - Your K31 is definitely a darker walnut than mine. Here's a thread I found with another fellow who has a 1944 K31 with the stock manufactured in the same month as mine (1/44). There's almost 3 different shades to his walnut stock. His buttplate was stamped; mine as not. And his import mark is in a much better spot too. Thanks for posting the pics of your 44'!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#40]
shot 60 rounds this morning, this is one enjoyable rifle.

DSC_5737 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So can anyone confirm by looking at the pics I posted that I do indeed have a walnut stock? I have three beech K31s and this one is as lightly colored as two of them. Next to my K11 this K31 looks worlds apart colorwise. I don't really see any of the telltale "maggot marks" that are present on the beech stocks except for the one pic I posted which shows the underside of the rifle with the magazine serial number whited out. Up and to the right of the mag, there appears to be very, very, very faint maggot marks (but they are nowhere near as prominent as on a beech stock) which would indicate beech wood. Light marks like that though could also be a feature inherent in walnut perhaps.  

So, could some of you Swiss rifle experts chime in here? I read on swisrifles.com that the beech stocks were entered into production in 1946, starting with serial number 868,901. Mine is about 43k lower than that. I've also read that they may have started the conversion earlier but can't remember where that was read. Anybody have a K31 with serial #'s dating to 1944 that has a similar lightly colored walnut stock?

On swissrifles I also read that in 1944 there was a different kind of metal (Chromium Molybdenum) that was briefly used due to supply shortages before the change back to Chromium Nickel Steel. Hopefully I didn't get one with an inferior metal composition. Would have no way of knowing though unless that was another area the experts can help out with  

Thanks!
View Quote

Looks like Walnut to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top