Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
I've had my C&R License for 12 years and have never been visited. How often have you been visited. If you have been visited, what happened?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
never, and doubt I ever will.  No reason to waste their time.  Like chasing 922r rules.  No body cares.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You would need to be on their radar for a visit.  Got a call from BATF couple months ago.  They were looking to trace a old revolver and thought I received it.

Trouble was they showed I received it in 1971.  I was 11.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would need to be on their radar for a visit.  Got a call from BATF couple months ago.  They were looking to trace a old revolver and thought I received it.

View Quote

Makes you wonder. How can the ATF trace arms that far back if they don't have a database?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Makes you wonder. How can the ATF trace arms that far back if they don't have a database?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paper trails.  They start at the manufacturer, and go up through the shop that sold it, and so on, and so forth.  It's alot of leg work, but they do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I only made one C&R purchase in all the years I've had a C&R. Might not even renew the next time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Had mine for about twelve years and never been visited but did get a call once about a rifle I bought from a dealer at the Tulsa gun show that the dealer fouled up the serial numbers in his book. They showed the one I had as being stolen or something and I had the paperwork from the show showing that I had bought it from the dealer. Still see that dealer there and wonder how he makes it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Years with C&R: 5
Number of firearm purchases (W/ C&R): 2
Number of visits/calls: 0
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
In NYS has several people not visited but asked to bring there books and guns in for review at the ATF region offices

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In NYS has several people not visited but asked to bring there books and guns in for review at the ATF region offices

View Quote

How does C&R work with handguns in NY? If you buy a C&R revolver do you have to get a purchase coupon first and add it to your pistol permit?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Never.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I had to bring a C&R to the pawn shop I bought it at so the ATF girl who was doing a inspection there could check the born on date code of a early Nylon 66 that did not have a serial number.

She said she could come by the house and check if I wanted but as I was headed downtown anyway I figured why invite the man (or woman in this case) into my life and grabbed the rifle and took it down for her to look at.....Everything was fine. She did not ask any other questions.

Seems like most issues involving a 03 holder are dealer oriented issues.

Timely thread as I just canceled my 03 and set it back the other day. I never buy C&Rs online anymore either from a individual or distributor and during some local FTF deals folks are starting to balk at giving out their info so I can enter a C&R eligible weapon in my bound book. I guess they just don't trust the .gov anymore.

Minor hassle as it was I simply don't need to mess with it anymore. To be honest it feels good to be out from under it after three renewals.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How does C&R work with handguns in NY? If you buy a C&R revolver do you have to get a purchase coupon first and add it to your pistol permit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'

In NYS you have to go through an FFL.. you must get a coupon for it first which is why you to go to a NYS FFL (licensed for state pistol license) first.

Every handgun on your permit is listed in a database and on the back of your card if you have the old paper permits you have one for each weapon you own. The only ones that you don't need a permit for outside of NYC is black powder handguns unless you have all the equipment to fire the weapon than you must add it to your permit.

Coupons take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months depending the county you live in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never.
View Quote

+1

HDH.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

'

In NYS you have to go through an FFL.. you must get a coupon for it first which is why you to go to a NYS FFL (licensed for state pistol license) first.

Every handgun on your permit is listed in a database and on the back of your card if you have the old paper permits you have one for each weapon you own. The only ones that you don't need a permit for outside of NYC is black powder handguns unless you have all the equipment to fire the weapon than you must add it to your permit.

Coupons take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months depending the county you live in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'

Good grief.  What a F'd up mess that is.  And people wonder why I don't like to even visit blue states.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
None So far............But I have only Bought One Gun so Far....LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'

Thanks for the explanation. If you have to go through all of the steps that someone does with just a pistol permit is there any advantage to the C&R in NYS?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Had my C&R 7 years, never heard a peep, rather it stay that way
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation. If you have to go through all of the steps that someone does with just a pistol permit is there any advantage to the C&R in NYS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'

Nope. Not at all for pistols but rifles and shotguns can be if you can find a great deal.  Nys is so anti gun nazi Germany or the Soviet Union has more gun rights
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOPA prohibits any government entity from having a "database" however ATF is sneaky. Example, you buy 2 or more firearms that require a 3310 be filled out and sent in. All that information goes into a data base that ATF has full access to.  It's not illegal in that ATF doesn't actually run it, it's run by a private contracted company.  ATF can pretty much trace every gun transferred by a dealer, to a point, since LBJ was in office.  Yeah it's shady as hell but it's legal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FOPA prohibits any government entity from having a "database" however ATF is sneaky. Example, you buy 2 or more firearms that require a 3310 be filled out and sent in. That isn't ATF being "sneaky", it's because a subsequent Federal law required dealers to report multiple sales of handguns. In contrast, no Federal law requires the reporting of multiple sales of "certain rifles". The White House directed ATF to implement a regulation to require dealers in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas to report those multiple sales.

All that information goes into a data base that ATF has full access to.  It's not illegal in that ATF doesn't actually run it, it's run by a private contracted company.  Whut? Where did you come by this information? Multiple Sale forms are sent to ATF National Tracing Center, staffed by ATF employees.

ATF can pretty much trace every gun transferred by a dealer, to a point, since LBJ was in office.  Yeah it's shady as hell but it's legal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FOPA prohibits any government entity from having a "database" however ATF is sneaky. Example, you buy 2 or more firearms that require a 3310 be filled out and sent in. That isn't ATF being "sneaky", it's because a subsequent Federal law required dealers to report multiple sales of handguns. In contrast, no Federal law requires the reporting of multiple sales of "certain rifles". The White House directed ATF to implement a regulation to require dealers in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas to report those multiple sales.

All that information goes into a data base that ATF has full access to.  It's not illegal in that ATF doesn't actually run it, it's run by a private contracted company.  Whut? Where did you come by this information? Multiple Sale forms are sent to ATF National Tracing Center, staffed by ATF employees.

ATF can pretty much trace every gun transferred by a dealer, to a point, since LBJ was in office.  Yeah it's shady as hell but it's legal.

Uh this plus there is no way they can form a database off a transfer, as no firearm info is passed to the ATF, just long gun or handgun.  Only way they can do a trace is to have the info from the gun, and start at the beginning from the manufacturer or importer.  It's a lot of legwork that leads no where a lot of times.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Never got so much as a phone call when I had mine. I didn't renew last time; just didn't see the point in spending the money when I had never used it and probably never would.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Uh this plus there is no way they can form a database off a transfer, as no firearm info is passed to the ATF, just long gun or handgun.  Only way they can do a trace is to have the info from the gun, and start at the beginning from the manufacturer or importer.  It's a lot of legwork that leads no where a lot of times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GCA of 1968 requires 3310's be sent to ATF within 24hrs and 4473's when a business is permanently closed. FOPA (1986) makes any form of government registry illegal. So, what does ATF do with all that information?  I guess they just check a box and shred the paper work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...... So, what does ATF do with all that information?.....
View Quote

They store the out of business records (4473's and bound books) in a cave in West Virginia. In the event of a trace they have to access that information by hand.

Multiple Sale forms are not part of the prohibition on maintaining a registry. Those forms ARE entered into a database.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top