Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 3:25:24 PM EDT
Hello! New to this site,thought I introduce myself. I tried to find a introduce me section or threads but had no luck so forgive me if there is and I didnt see it.A little about me,I enjoy mainly C&R rifles to collect and shoot but do have some modern firearms such as an AR-15 and PTR-91. Been in the Army for just about 3 years now,came back from a deployment early this year,enjoy deer hunting,and im going to school to become a gunsmith. So I thought I start out by sharing a rifle I brought back from Afghanistan. Ill let the pictures speak for them self. I have shot this rifle with modern 8mm and she works fine and is even just as accurate as my Gew 88 in 8mm haha. Enjoy the pictures.

The img popped up in the preview,dont know why you have to click on them to see it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome back. I thought they didn't allow guns to be brought back anymore? Not doubting you just curious. Anyway, enjoy this site and your 8mm!
View Quote

Antiques are allowed.  I was looking at one a vendor had that I am kicking myself for not jumping on.

AfghanVet7, Did you bring this one back yourself?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking  (Paki) copy of a Spanish M43 Mauser...

I bet it has a few stories inside.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Antiques are allowed.  I was looking at one a vendor had that I am kicking myself for not jumping on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome back. I thought they didn't allow guns to be brought back anymore? Not doubting you just curious. Anyway, enjoy this site and your 8mm!

Thanks for the welcoming!

Yep,brought it back myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Mauser, welcome to the forum, this is good as any place to introduce yourself...  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
As you probably already know, that's not actually an antique, and it was not made in 1845.    

It may have originally been a Spanish M43 Mauser, which simply had the receiver ring scrubbed and then the markings crudely restamped, but with the date changed to one in the 1800s to get around the bringback restrictions.  Or, it could be some sort of other Mauser 98 action, cobbled together with various Mauser parts to make a complete rifle, and merely stamped using a Spanish M43 as inspiration.  Either way, they didn't make those in the mid-1800s...

You see quite a few of these fake "antique" rifles that servicemen have brought back.  There's an entire local industry in Afghanistan of taking newer surplus rifles and making them into nominally pre-1899 rifles so that the American soldiers will be able to buy them and ship them home.  Some of these conversions are as simple as overstamping the 19XX in a date to a 18XX, while others go to greater lengths to disguise the origin of the rifle.  Either way, most of them are obviously not antiques to folks with a little rifle knowledge, but apparently it's enough to fool whoever approves the bringback paperwork!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing, welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome aboard, and congrats on getting it back here, but, boy...the inspectors must really be gun dumb, since bolt actions like this weren't invented even in 1845!

Unless you are talking needle guns, the earliest bolt actions for metallic cartridges are 1870's, really (the German Model 1871 Mauser...). There may have been an earlier one or two, but 1845?

Nice to slip one by them every once in a while...

Hell, now try to get one of them to get a G-43 and date it 1879 or something!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As you probably already know, that's not actually an antique, and it was not made in 1845.    

It may have originally been a Spanish M43 Mauser, which simply had the receiver ring scrubbed and then the markings crudely restamped, but with the date changed to one in the 1800s to get around the bringback restrictions.  Or, it could be some sort of other Mauser 98 action, cobbled together with various Mauser parts to make a complete rifle, and merely stamped using a Spanish M43 as inspiration.  Either way, they didn't make those in the mid-1800s...

You see quite a few of these fake "antique" rifles that servicemen have brought back.  There's an entire local industry in Afghanistan of taking newer surplus rifles and making them into nominally pre-1899 rifles so that the American soldiers will be able to buy them and ship them home.  Some of these conversions are as simple as overstamping the 19XX in a date to a 18XX, while others go to greater lengths to disguise the origin of the rifle.  Either way, most of them are obviously not antiques to folks with a little rifle knowledge, but apparently it's enough to fool whoever approves the bringback paperwork!
View Quote

And they make ass loads of fake WW1 German helmets too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Changing the date to antique status to get around the .mil's BS bring-back regulations.....Damn, never let it be said that some Hajjis don't understand capitalism.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice bringback.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Need to get some dates re-made on a few AKM's...  1887 AKM's for all!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeez, the Khyber Pass guys will fake anything, won't they?

Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Any Martini Henry rifles to be had over there?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They still had Snider conversions a few years back. I picked-up this one from a returning vet.

The only thing the hajjis really did to it was to use a bent-over nail to secure the TG swivel.

Other than being a bit tired looking it's correct and shoots well.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing, welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes many. Picked up Martini Henrys,Snider Enfields,and a Lebel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top