Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:00:27 AM EDT
I am looking into a k98. I need Info on what to look for, what kind, price, where to buy, and anything else. Thank you
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Your question is like saying, "I need a car."  So many different options. Do you want originality? Or just a rifle? Cheapest and at a retailer will be a k98 from jg sales yugo scrubbed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking into buying a k98. I need Info on what to look for, what kind, price, where to buy, and anything else. Thank you
View Quote

Very broad question. Looking for a mixmaster shooter? All matching bring back? Pre-war, mid-war, late war?
Prices can range anywhere from around $300 to the 5 digit sums, so you have alot of wiggle room depending on what you want

I'm sure one of the resident Mauser experts will be by before to long to lay the smack down of knowledge, but for now all I can really
recommend is to determine what grade of Mauser you want, shooter or a collector. A lot easier to work from there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly I want a shootable grade mauser that doesn't have a complete shot-out barrel. I would like to stay original and not go yugo, but that might be to much.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You probably want something German with markings, and in decent shape but not $$$$$.
You want to find an Russian Capture that has been refurbed. around $500. My barrel is excellent.
If you want an AMAZING shooter that is almost identical to the German k98 but dont care about nazi markings get a yugo m48 (my favorite shooting mauser over my Brazilian, German, Turkish and even Swedish). Yugos can be fount in fantastic condition for about $300 and even cheaper if looks and crests dont matter. Im 6'5" and the m48 is the most natural, point of aim, no brains/muscle memory gun ive ever shot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You probably want something German with markings, and in decent shape but not $$$$$.
You want to find an Russian Capture that has been refurbed. around $500. My barrel is excellent.
If you want an AMAZING shooter that is almost identical to the German k98 but dont care about nazi markings get a yugo m48 (my favorite shooting mauser over my Brazilian, German, Turkish and even Swedish). Yugos can be fount in fantastic condition for about $300 and even cheaper if looks and crests dont matter. Im 6'5" and the m48 is the most natural, point of aim, no brains/muscle memory gun ive ever shot.
View Quote

I hearsd the Russian ones have the markings scrapped off... is this true? I might just get a yugo then.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hearsd the Russian ones have the markings scrapped off... is this true? I might just get a yugo then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, some do, some don't .

RC:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Russian Capture. $325 on the LOW end here, $385 on the average, $425 on the "gun show special"

not all have the markings pinged off. my one and only russian capture doesnt even have the X stamped on it. minty bore and fantastic shooter.

what its really going to come down to is how patient you are,

I got a non import marked bolt mismatch for $350 with extras such as repro rod, repro sight hood, repro sling and a original cleaning kit. Ive gotten other bolt mismatches for $500 +/-

just pound the pavement, keep your eyes open. check the bore.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Russian Capture. $325 on the LOW end here, $385 on the average, $425 on the "gun show special"

not all have the markings pinged off. my one and only russian capture doesnt even have the X stamped on it. minty bore and fantastic shooter.

I got a non import marked bolt mismatch for $350 with extras such as repro rod, repro sight hood, repro sling and a original cleaning kit. Ive gotten other bolt mismatches for $500 +/-

View Quote

Hate to say it but I think you're dating yourself a bit with those prices.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I think a Russian capture is what you are looking for. For a shooter grade K98 they are very good. Sometimes you can score one without peened markings and they look pretty nice as others have posted. With these you know you are getting a refurb rifle. An all original rifles are much more expensive and fakes are a problem unless you study up.

My Russian capture is not peened and shoots just as well as my original. The M48s are also nice, they look slightly similar but they are not a K98. They are a nice cold war collectible though. The WW2 and cold war history of the RC k98s is also appealing. Shop around for a good deal. Also consider a wtb add on some of the collecting forums. I would personally avoid Mitchel's Mausers as they are overpriced humped up crap. While you are searching it might not be a bad idea to stock up on some ammo if you find a good buy. Good luck on your hunt and post some pics when you find one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I thinks so. Point us in the direction of some at those prices. I picked up mine at $135 each years ago. I wished I bought more. Hindsight is more than 20/20 in the surplus market.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, I thinks so.
View Quote

I'm going to have to disagree.   Builttoughf250's RC K98 prices are pretty close to current market price, in my experience.  Sure, you may see them listed for more than that at gun shows and on Gunbroker, but pricing at those sources aren't always good indicators of current actual market value.  Gunshow sellers tend to be overpriced, and Gunbroker pricing can be grossly inflated due to bidding wars, people with more money than sense, unscrupulous sellers trying to take advantage of uninformed buyers, etc.

For example, Wideners is the only big name online retailer that I've seen with RC K98s recently.  They still have peened RCs in stock for $400 and peened RCs with Vz. 24/G24t/G98 straight bolts for $360.  And they just recently sold out of their unpeened RCs for $440.  (Which weren't technically unpeened, but were prewar K98s with Weimar eagle stamps, so there were no swastikas to peen to begin with.)

In addition, I've picked up several good condition, unpeened RC K98s in the last year for $300-$350 from local gun stores as well as from various milsurp forums.  I've turned down other similarly priced RC K98s at local gunshops because those had rough bores.  So they're definitely out there at builttoughf250's prices, if you keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to disagree.   Builttoughf250's RC K98 prices are pretty close to current market price, in my experience.  Sure, you may see them listed for more than that at gun shows and on Gunbroker, but pricing at those sources aren't always good indicators of current actual market value.  Gunshow sellers tend to be overpriced, and Gunbroker pricing can be grossly inflated due to bidding wars, people with more money than sense, unscrupulous sellers trying to take advantage of uninformed buyers, etc.

For example, Wideners is the only big name online retailer that I've seen with RC K98s recently.  They still have peened RCs in stock for $400 and peened RCs with Vz. 24/G24t/G98 straight bolts for $360.  And they just recently sold out of their unpeened RCs for $440.  (Which weren't technically unpeened, but were prewar K98s with Weimar eagle stamps, so there were no swastikas to peen to begin with.)

In addition, I've picked up several good condition, unpeened RC K98s in the last year for $300-$350 from local gun stores as well as from various milsurp forums.  I've turned down other similarly priced RC K98s at local gunshops because those had rough bores.  So they're definitely out there at builttoughf250's prices, if you keep your eyes open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I thinks so.

I think Bulttough is about right on the money. They range depending on where you are on the local markets and whats available.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to hear. Might have to pick another one up if that's the current market.

This is my shooter K98. It's a BCD 42 laminate stock. Not matching at all. It does have clear markings and a faint H and eagle on the stock. Just added an original sight hood, lock screws and cleaning rod. Sling is a well made repo. This thing shines with hand loads.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are 5 K98ks that I've acquired within the last year or two.  All of which were less than $350.

- 1937 German K98k produced by J.P. Sauer und Sohn (RC - Good condition)
- 1939 German K98k produced by Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabrik (RC - Excellent condition)
- Postwar Czech K98k produced by CZ Brno (Like New)
- Postwar Yugoslavian rework of a German K98k (Like New)
- 1950s Israeli K98k produced by FN and later rechambered to 7.62 NATO by the IDF (Well used and came with a broken stock, but I got it for less than $100.  Even with ordering a replacement Israeli stock, I have less than $250 in it.)

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quick Cost break down from recent 98k purchases.

These all cost me 500 or less initial cost:

1.German Wartime Re-arsenal (1937 Erma replacement barrel) Vet Bring back -  1940 Erma duffle cut restore (have the stock but the forend is missing - previous owner had it in a yugo stock). Got a correct Erma replacment from Norway.  1yr ago

2.98k 1937 RC from Aim surplus.$220 (not so recent.. these things going up)

3. Portuguese Contract Mauser Germany Import / Deactivated - Restored in the states. Would be all matching down to the locking screws. Though the bolt and barrel are not sadly due to the deactivation in germany. Price was right 1yr ago

4. Isearli 98k  - Proably the worst luck i have had due to a dishonest seller. Didn't mention the massive stock crack underneath the rifle that traveled from the mag well to the rear tang. (its in a replacement correct stock as pictured). I asked about the bore - said it was dark CB (CB is common for isearli's) but strong. In reality its one of the worst bores in my collection.. its Fair at best. 1yr ago

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#16]
This may be a stupid question... but when you guys say keep an ear to the ground and keep looking... is there another forum or site with these types of guns available at fair prices?

I'm personally hoping to buy a WW2 era 98K in good condition with nothing peened out or with capture markings and an excellent barrel. Is this possible for under $1000?

Also looking to get a Garand... been told to look into the CMP Special grade... but isn't that using new manufactured parts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a service grade (1955 Springfield) Garand in 2010 that to my surprise was completely numbers matching and looked like it was never issued. However it was in a CMP stock. A friend at work ordered a service grade the same time I did received a mix-master.

You can check gunboards forum, lots of good people and info there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This may be a stupid question... but when you guys say keep an ear to the ground and keep looking... is there another forum or site with these types of guns available at fair prices?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've had good luck on the Classifieds forums at Gunboards.com and SurplusRifleForum.com  Also keep an eye on Armslist for your area.  I've gotten some excellent deals on milsurps that way.

I'm personally hoping to buy a WW2 era 98K in good condition with nothing peened out or with capture markings and an excellent barrel. Is this possible for under $1000?

Yes.  You can look for something like a refurbished Russian Capture K98k with unpeened markings ($300-$450).  Or if you want one without the Russian Capture refurbishing, you can look for a mismatched original K98k, which will be something like a restored sporter or a bolt mismatch vet bring back ($600-$1000+).  But an all-matching, original condition K98k will be outside your price range.

Also looking to get a Garand... been told to look into the CMP Special grade... but isn't that using new manufactured parts?

Yes.  The CMP Special Grade rifles are built using original USGI Garand receivers and small parts, but new production stocks and barrels.  Instead, you might order a CMP Service Grade, which will be a used USGI rifle.  (However, some Service Grade rifles have new production stocks, if the original stock was broken.  You can try requesting one with an original stock.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top