Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 5:02:08 PM EDT
I've been ask by a couple of people on how to clean up a dull ( not dark ) bore in the mosin barrel .  I had heard , but never tried , using valve grinding compound on a tight fitting mop and to work it back and forth till the bore shines .. I have polished chambers with Flitz and had good results but have never used valve grinding compound in the bore .. So has anyone on this site done anything similar to using VGC to polish the bore in an old gun with really good rifling , or will it just ruin the bore .. If I had an old gun I might try it , But I don't have anything of that sort to try it on at this time.. Thanks in advance .. HH234
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot, and scrub with a bronze brush, rinse and repeat.  I have mosins that looked like sewer pies with rifling, I shot them, then cleaned, shot some more then cleaned.  After about 200rnds it now has some shine to it.  There is no way I'd use any kind of lapping compound in a bore.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been ask by a couple of people on how to clean up a dull ( not dark ) bore in the mosin barrel .  I had heard , but never tried , using valve grinding compound on a tight fitting mop and to work it back and forth till the bore shines .. I have polished chambers with Flitz and had good results but have never used valve grinding compound in the bore .. So has anyone on this site done anything similar to using VGC to polish the bore in an old gun with really good rifling , or will it just ruin the bore .. If I had an old gun I might try it , But I don't have anything of that sort to try it on at this time.. Thanks in advance .. HH234
View Quote

Then why would anyone use lapping wool ????????????????????????HH234
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot, and scrub with a bronze brush, rinse and repeat.  I have mosins that looked like sewer pies with rifling, I shot them, then cleaned, shot some more then cleaned.  After about 200rnds it now has some shine to it.  There is no way I'd use any kind of lapping compound in a bore.
View Quote

This, for a start. I wouldn't use lapping compound either. You'll just be removing metal instead of polishing. I have had great success on dull and even black sewer pipe bores doing the following.

Shoot it a bunch, as suggested, get it hot. Take it home and disassemble down to the action. Then get a bucket or use your sink. Boil some water, pour it down the bore brush it with a nylon bore brush and dish soap. Do that until your tired. Then clean as normal with solvent like gun cleaner, carb cleaner, Ballistol, etc. You will use a lot of patches. Take a break and let some solvent soak. Then get back at it. I like to finish up with JB bore paste. Mostly I use the grey but sometimes the finer red. Then oil.

It is a lot of work but I have gotten good results. I have never had the sticky bolt problem on any of my Mosins with this method. Be realistic though, it won't take a rusted pitted bore to a mirror finish. It will give you a clean bore. After doing this I noticed almost all my rifles need a few shots through them before they start shooting consistent groups.

Some might say this is too much work and that's fine. I just posted what has worked for me. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why anyone would use lapping wool. I have used bronze wool to remove leading from my cast reloads. That's a different thing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Bore Electrolysis, Non invasive an will give your bore that nice just made shine. Pain to set up but amazing results.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ElectrolysisCleaningMethod
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top