Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 1:47:17 AM EDT

I was at a local gun show, and this 1898 Krag was calling to me.
It doesn’t have the magazine cut off and has a peep sight in
the space where the cut off would go.   I
was going to replace the cut off, but I’m going to wait until I can
learn more about the peep, and when it was put on, the way the screw is bubbed makes me think Stevie Wonder put it on.

It has some light pitting on the external but most of the color change is patina
there’s no rust, the bore is good, the stock’s in good shape for it’s age,
complete with armorers stamp on the side and pistol grip.  It has the original metal but plate and
storage compartment, which I assume is for a cleaning rod.

The
saddle pack which I was told was original to the rifle was included.  It fits, so maybe it does.

I'm a real novice when it comes to this rifle, any and all information you can share would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice Krag, very interesting spot to mount a peep sight, makes me think whoever did it, wanted to be able to return the cutoff selector to its place and not have the peep sight mounting hole visible (a somewhat considerate bubba, if those exist).

Unfortunately the scabbard is not original to the rifle, and is for an M1 Garand (the metal box part is for the Garand's charging handle to fit in). As a bonus, new repros of that scabbard run about $100, with originals (yours by the look of it) going for more, should you decide to sell it instead of get a Garand to go in it
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good. Nice to see it did not get a barrel cut and stock hack. If you decide to remove the peep sight maybe you could put the the cut off back on. I'd look at Gunparts Corp. or Gunboards trader forum. I think it would look better with just the original sights. The scabbard looks like it was made for it, could be issue. I'd check that and your 1907 sling for markings.

Whenever they come up for sale around here the seller thinks they are made of gold. Even the sporters. I had a friend find one for $150 but it needs some parts to look original. They are not cheap or easy to find. Just curious, what did it run you?

Edit. Duh, I should have known the scabbard was for a Garand. I'm looking for one for my Jeep restoration. Now you have to get a Garand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information, I paid $335 OTD for it, and the vendor was nice enough to toss a box of ammo in also.

On the scabbard, I had a small inclination that it might be for the Garand, when I got it home the idea occurred to me to slip a Garand in, it also fit very well.

I will now look for the cut-off, it seems a shame not to be using what looks like a very well made rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
That price sounds about right. $100 for the Garand scabbard,$35 for the ammo, and $200 for the sporterized stock and action.
I just picked up a complete unmolested 1901 manufactured 1898 Krag for $700 which is the going rate looks like. I have a guy here local with
a sporterized Krag (stock was cut down but everything else was un touched including upper handguard) for $200 I may grab up as well to replace the stock on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Find yourself a stock, a cutoff  and the front metal and you'll have a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Find yourself a stock, a cutoff  and the front metal and you'll have a nice rifle.
View Quote

OP has a very nice rifle.  Find those parts and he'll have a near-period correct rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP has a very nice rifle.  Find those parts and he'll have a near-period correct rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Find yourself a stock, a cutoff  and the front metal and you'll have a nice rifle.

If the barrel is under 30 inches he can't make it correct. The front sight looks like it could be off an 03 Springfield also which is a tell tale sigh this rifle could have been cut down as far back as the 1920's as the NRA did make carbines from rifles at that time to promote the DCM.
Bannermans Island arsenal also cut up quite a few of these in the day as well. A factory Krag carbine will have a 22inch barrel. A factory Krag rifle will have a 30 inch barrel. You can replace the barrel but it would not be cheap nor ever be a collectible again. Youre better off keeping it as a handy shooter and looking for an untouched specimen if you are looking for a collectible rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If the barrel is under 30 inches he can't make it correct. The front sight looks like it could be off an 03 Springfield also which is a tell tale sigh this rifle could have been cut down as far back as the 1920's as the NRA did make carbines from rifles at that time to promote the DCM.
Bannermans Island arsenal also cut up quite a few of these in the day as well. A factory Krag carbine will have a 22inch barrel. A factory Krag rifle will have a 30 inch barrel. You can replace the barrel but it would not be cheap nor ever be a collectible again. Youre better off keeping it as a handy shooter and looking for an untouched specimen if you are looking for a collectible rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an NRA carbine. The barrel would be much shorter and it wouldn't have a chopped rifle stock.

Now that you mention it, the more I look at it, the more it looks like it's missing a few inches. What a shame.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not an NRA carbine. The barrel would be much shorter and it wouldn't have a chopped rifle stock.

Now that you mention it, the more I look at it, the more it looks like it's missing a few inches. What a shame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, its for sure a cut down barrel. here is a couple of pics of my 1902 Krag rifle for comparison (our serial numbers are just a few hundred k off from one another).:

here is another:

What also tips me off is the front sight post as stated earlier, its not the type used on U.S. Krags. I have seen similar sights on Norwegian Krags (which look like 03 Springfield sights also).
03 sights were used by both the NRA and Bannermans back in the first half of the 20th century on surplus Krag rifles. Also if it were a real carbine there would be a spring bar retention on the front barrel band.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top