Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 5:12:46 PM EDT
I was at the range today and while shooting my Mosin Nagant 91 30, I noticed the sticky bolt problem more so than usual. It's very easy to cycle if there is no rounds in it but it's a pretty hard to open the bolt after it's been fired.  I've fired it before but it was only 20 rounds and only had to smack the bolt once. Today it was about half the times I fired it got stuck. I also noticed the rounds were marked up and the neck of the round was compressed. I'm thinking it's the bore needs to be polished and/or maybe some cosmoline is still up there. Anyone else have similar issues? If so, what was the fix?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean the chamber really well.  Pay special attention to the extractor cutout.  99% of Mosin sticky bolt issues come from crud or old grease in the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean the chamber really well with a 20ga brush chucked up in a drill. You may need to add some bore paste if really bad.

If the bolt sticks, pull back on the cocking knob to cock it and take pressure off the bolt head. It will now be really easy to open.

You can see it done a 0.58 in this old video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPowXmHgEXY
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I gathered from watching youtube videos on it but no one ever specified if it was the problem I am having. I'll try the 20g bore cleaner. I saw someone use some kind of polisher, any brand I should look for?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
First, what ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I gathered from watching youtube videos on it but no one ever specified if it was the problem I am having. I'll try the 20g bore cleaner. I saw someone use some kind of polisher, any brand I should look for?
View Quote

Do not polish it. Just clean it. Polishing compound will lower the friction between the case and the chamber walls. It puts a ton of force against the bolt lugs that would normally be transfered to the chamber walls.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Bore paste in the chamber is a last resort if you still have sticky bolt after many attempts of regular cleaning.

Try the bolt cocking trick. It makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take everything apart including the bolt. Take your time. I have cleaned all my Mosins with hot/boiling water and dish soap or a parts washer and have yet to encounter this problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like classic sticky bolt. The lacquer used on a lot of mil surplus ammo will heat up and become sticky giving the bolt a spongy/sticky feeling when your opening it. It will also transfer to the inside of chamber building up over time. Normally about a 20 Gage swab and mineral spirits or denatured alcohol will clean it out. Just be careful as it will also take the finish off your stock, so best to remove the stock before you do it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like classic sticky bolt. The lacquer used on a lot of mil surplus ammo will heat up and become sticky giving the bolt a spongy/sticky feeling when your opening it. It will also transfer to the inside of chamber building up over time. Normally about a 20 Gage swab and mineral spirits or denatured alcohol will clean it out. Just be careful as it will also take the finish off your stock, so best to remove the stock before you do it.
View Quote

No denatured alcohol. Mineral spirits won't dissolve shellac. It works great on cosmoline.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No denatured alcohol. Mineral spirits won't dissolve shellac. It works great on cosmoline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woops I was thinking lacquer thinner but I put a shellac thinner.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was at the range today and while shooting my Mosin Nagant 91 30, I noticed the sticky bolt problem more so than usual. It's very easy to cycle if there is no rounds in it but it's a pretty hard to open the bolt after it's been fired.  I've fired it before but it was only 20 rounds and only had to smack the bolt once. Today it was about half the times I fired it got stuck. I also noticed the rounds were marked up and the neck of the round was compressed. I'm thinking it's the bore needs to be polished and/or maybe some cosmoline is still up there. Anyone else have similar issues? If so, what was the fix?
View Quote

I was having the same issue and it was the ammo. I think I was useing "heavy" ammo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all for the replies! Helped a lot. I'll have to see after a clean the crap out of it wether it worked or not. Wish me luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top