Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 4:11:27 PM EDT

Picked up a Remington 1903 today the local gun show.  Rifle looks pretty good overall with slight frosting on the barrel.  Serial number range puts it at late 1942 with a 2/43 RA marked barrel.  No markings on the scant stock that I can find.  Only a couple of markings overall on the rifle itself as shown in the pics below.

Can anybody provide me with more insight on the "originality" of the rifle and an approximate value?

Thanks

DSC_0264mod by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_0257 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_0259 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_0261 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_0262 by depercy, on Flickr

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Fairly late Rem 1903.

Probably been arsenal rebuilt or has been restored from sporter as it is a mixmaster. Stock isn't correct, bolt is a replacement. Looks good though and should be a good shooter even with frosty bore.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
So for $450 it sounds like I got a reasonable deal?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Info on the Stock

The "scant" stock came about in late
1941 when the Ordnance wanted to standardize on a pistol-grip stock for
all M1903 rifles. There were already many thousands of stock blanks on
hand that were sized for the old straight stock. They were not deep
enough to get the full pistol grip of the Type C (modified) stock that
had been standardized in 1929, so the drawing was modified to allow a
"scant" grip to be used. This was the largest grip that could be formed
from the old stock blanks. This all occurred before the 1903A3 was
standardized, and early "scant" stocks will only fit on a 1903, and will
not fit an 03A3. They were made by Springfield in early 1942, and will
be marked with a small "s" in the cut-off seat. Scant stocks were made
for rebuilds: no "new manufacture" M1903 or 1903A3 rifles ever left the
factory in a "scant" stock. There is some question about M1903A4's.
03A4's were supposed to be supplied in the WW II version of the full "C"
stock, some may have been provided in scant stocks as-built. AKAIK,
Remington did not make the "scant" stocks or the slab-side C stock:
those used in 03A4 production were provided from Keystone or American
Bowling & Billiard.

</h5>

Great website

http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that's the first Remington 1903 that I've seen that has the rear bridge cut for the 03A3 rear sight base. I've heard there were some but haven't seen one.

Is there a B stamped on the floorplate? If so its a Greek Lend-Lease repatriation via CMP. Possibly came from Britain then to Greece. Most of the Remington 1903 did not go into USGI service but were Lend-Lease. If that is the case then this rifle has been OUT of USGI hands and USGI maintenance protocol so anything is possible. That's why the B stamped floorplates are found as they represent a pinned floorplate release. That is NOT USGI but typical of another country doing their own ~thing~ with a US firearm.

I don't think you got hurt for $450.

Dutch
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think that's the first Remington 1903 that I've seen that has the rear bridge cut for the 03A3 rear sight base. I've heard there were some but haven't seen one.

Is there a B stamped on the floorplate? If so its a Greek Lend-Lease repatriation via CMP. Possibly came from Britain then to Greece. Most of the Remington 1903 did not go into USGI service but were Lend-Lease. If that is the case then this rifle has been OUT of USGI hands and USGI maintenance protocol so anything is possible. That's why the B stamped floorplates are found as they represent a pinned floorplate release. That is NOT USGI but typical of another country doing their own ~thing~ with a US firearm.

I don't think you got hurt for $450.

Dutch

View Quote

No "B" stamped on the floorplate.  Frankly, it's tough to find much if any markings on this one.  If I'm reading the webs correctly, most of the Remington parts would have been marked with the R, but almost all of the subassemblies that I can see are unmarked.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]

The more I dig into it, and pull things apart, I realize that it is quite the mix-master.

Which then begs the question - shoot it and enjoy it as is, or try and assemble the correct parts to "restore" it?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The more I dig into it, and pull things apart, I realize that it is quite the mix-master.

Which then begs the question - shoot it and enjoy it as is, or try and assemble the correct parts to "restore" it?

View Quote

Make sure it head spaces and shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]

If you really enjoy the hunt and have the patience, then go ahead and "restore" it. IMO, mixmasters are "correct" since so many of them were rebuilt at some time. I personally would just shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Range report - at 25 yards it's shooting about 5" to the right. Adjusted for windage to get it centered. Didn't get a chance to shoot longer distance due to running out of daylight.  Is it normal to have it shoot that far to the right at short range?

Edit:  upon further inspection, it appears that my front sight is slightly canted to the right.  But wouldn't that make my point of impact should be to the left?

Edit 11/24...  looking at it in better light (and slightly more awake) it actually appears that it's slight canted to the left.  Which would explain the point of impact.  Appears the entire front sight band may be slightly off.  Guess it's time to find a good 1903 smith.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top