Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 3:33:57 PM EDT
1943 Ishevsk 1891/59

Apparently the most common version.  

Fairly blond stock is in very decent shape. All matching but probably force matched. Bore is beautiful.  Looks like more hand work was done to pretty it up a bit.

How much should I expect to pay?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
325-375 is usually what they run. I have been meaning to pick one up for the longest time.. i love the look of em.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had no idea they were going for so much.  There is a slightly more beat up m44 right next to it but it already sold for $200.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
1943 is the most common; so you may be able to get it sub 325. But they market on avg is like i said 325-375 for a clean 91/59
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Most are in excellent shape, mirror bore and clean crisp trigger. If in that condition the $300 is a good price, I recently picked up a 1932 hex m91/59 for $300 so deals can be had when buying locally.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I paid $300 for mine.  Similar to the one you're looking at.

It's a lot for a Mosin Carbine, but whatever.  :)

-J
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
They want $275 for the 91/59 and $180 for a plain jane matching 1942 91/30.

I think I will pick up the 91/59 tomorrow.

This one will stay original for sure. Just a bit of clean up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The m91/59 have a different finish compared to other Russian refurbs. It is a thicker shiny finish, first time I saw it I thought it was a bubba job . The bolt will be very smooth and trigger should be crisp. One of the best Russian mosins you can buy.

my 1943.

my 1932.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I walked away from one years ago before I knew better.  Finish looked weird and some of the the sight markings were milled off    I looked it up when I got home and rushed back but it was gone.  It was marked M38 and was selling for $150 at the time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Still thinking about it. ....

It's not perfect but in decent shape.  Looks like a fun shooter. More my speed than an M44.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a scrubbed 91/59 and it's my favorite M/N. It's in practically new shape with a new barrel and I love the balance of it.

Some were made with their original numbers left intact and others were scrubbed for more claudistine purposes, it's thought. Mine has the serial number 775 stamped on the mag plate and bolt body with grind marks where they scrubbed off the original numbers although you can still faintly make out one or two of the original numbers on the bolt. The barrel shank was better machined and all there is to read is M1891/59. Even the tang has been scrubbed so I have no idea what year or arsenal originally made the receiver. A true cold war piece I imagine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought it. Pictures later.  Not in perfect shape but the bore is looks great. Not quite shiny but nice.

This one will never see any modifications at all.  Even the trigger is really nice for a Mosin.  Long and soft.

$293 with tax.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
At one time I had three of them.  These were usually made from cut down 91/30's and the occasional M91.  Because of this the end of the barrel is slightly larger diameter and bayonets do not fir on them.  Nobody seems certain exactly where they were made.  To me they were probably some sort of make work project in the workers paradise of Eastern Europe post WWII.  

Bores and triggers are very good and they are pretty accurate too.  Whoever did do them did a good job.  They make excellent brush guns and pack the wallop of a 30-06 round for good measure.  And they are LOUD and make great fireballs when using milsurp ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At one time I had three of them.  These were usually made from cut down 91/30's and the occasional M91.  Because of this the end of the barrel is slightly larger diameter and bayonets do not fir on them.  Nobody seems certain exactly where they were made.  To me they were probably some sort of make work project in the workers paradise of Eastern Europe post WWII.  

Bores and triggers are very good and they are pretty accurate too.  Whoever did do them did a good job.  They make excellent brush guns and pack the wallop of a 30-06 round for good measure.  And they are LOUD and make great fireballs when using milsurp ammunition.
View Quote

I can't wait to shoot it. Maybe sometime in the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]

I will be pulling it apart tomorrow to clean it. Dry firing resulted in cosmoline coming out of the firing pin hole.  Lots of cosmoline in various places.  He might have shot it but I doubt it.

It has plenty of dings and scratches but over all in great shape.  They sure did a lot of hand work in these to fix them up over the ugly war time machining.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
 They sure did a lot of hand work in these to fix them up over the ugly war time machining.
View Quote

Well the wartime machining was not ugly.  They simply needed weapons and did not bother to do any finishing on the barrels.  Too much time to do and weapons needed badly as they had already lost millions of soldiers and weapons by 1943.  You must also remember that they had already lost one arsenal and the others were packed up and moved east, beyond the reach of the Germans.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well the wartime machining was not ugly.  They simply needed weapons and did not bother to do any finishing on the barrels.  Too much time to do and weapons needed badly as they had already lost millions of soldiers and weapons by 1943.  You must also remember that they had already lost one arsenal and the others were packed up and moved east, beyond the reach of the Germans.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 They sure did a lot of hand work in these to fix them up over the ugly war time machining.

I'm a machinist and the war time machining was very ugly. The tooling was extremely worn out by then and they totally dispensed with hand finishing work. You can see the tearing in the tooling marks from dull cutters. I think it's a great story. My 1943 91/30 is one of my favorites.

War time pressure is why I have always wanted a last ditch arisaka.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm almost done cleaning.  I doubt the guy who had it ever fired it.  Cosmoline everywhere.  The numbers are all matching.  No rust at all except a bit on the lands in the bore.  

The rifling is the most worn looking of any of my Mosins.  There is still plenty if the bore is to size. The lead doesn't look the greatest either.  The crown is perfect.  I think this barrel saw a lot of rounds before it's conversion but probably none after.

Over all the condition is pretty good.  Great if it still shoots well.

Every part has the Ishevsk mark.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]

JB's bore paste brought the bore up to a bright shine. Looks good. The rifling is still not terribly deep and well worn. The rest of the barrel and action are beautiful. The stock has dings like just about every Mosin I have seen.

Over all it looks to be a nice rifle. Interrupter works beautifully. Smooth bolt. 5# 2oz trigger. Cycles rounds very nicely. Can't wait to shoot it!

I can wait until I can add an M38 and M44 to my collection.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice looking rifle.  How does it do with the "bullet test".  Take a round and insert it into the muzzle.  The more bullet that sticks out the better than chance that you have a good shooter.  The closer you have to 1/4" between the muzzle and casing the better you are.  I have used this test and came home with some nice shooters.  You are going to like this rifle.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice looking carbine.

I see it has the serial on the stock, seems like some are stamped this way and others were not.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle.  How does it do with the "bullet test".  Take a round and insert it into the muzzle.  The more bullet that sticks out the better than chance that you have a good shooter.  The closer you have to 1/4" between the muzzle and casing the better you are.  I have used this test and came home with some nice shooters.  You are going to like this rifle.  

View Quote

It showed just over 1/4" on your test. The crown is beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice rifles in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being psychic or psychotic (I forget which) I predict that you are really going to like shooting that rifle. Your rifle passed the bullet test with flying colors.  Based upon the experience of shooters on other sites, the short barrel Mosin Nagants tend to prefer heavier ammunition.  Your experience may vary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top