Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 11:38:28 AM EDT
Grabbed a 1905 Ross the other day.  Originally issued to the Royal Canadian Regiment, then shipped off to the New York State Militia.  From what I can see from the stock markings, this was originally a 5* and then converted back to the 3*, and I found it interesting that the Canadian markings weren't struck out, unlike the other NYSM rifles I've seen.

Any info is appreciated, as I don't know a whole bunch about the Ross

Also came with the bayonet.  The scabbard needs a little TLC.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Be very careful when disassembling the bolt for cleaning. On some versions it can be reassembled incorrectly in such a manner that it will close and allow the rifle to fire without actually locking. If this happens the bolt will shoot back, possibly out of the rifle and even if the bolt stop prevents it from actually leaving the rifle, it will probably still hit your face if you have the rifle shouldered. This issue is what lead to the Ross having a reputation of being a weak action with a tendency to blow up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting design. I like the clear stamps on the stock. It would be fun to find out a little more about those units. I had a relative that served in the Canadian army early on in WW1. I'd love to find one that looks as good. What did you give for it?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had several opportunities to buy Ross rifles over then years, but have always passed and regretted it.  It's still on my want list, and I think I'll jump on the next one I find a deal on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be very careful when disassembling the bolt for cleaning. On some versions it can be reassembled incorrectly in such a manner that it will close and allow the rifle to fire without actually locking. If this happens the bolt will shoot back, possibly out of the rifle and even if the bolt stop prevents it from actually leaving the rifle, it will probably still hit your face if you have the rifle shouldered. This issue is what lead to the Ross having a reputation of being a weak action with a tendency to blow up.
View Quote

So I understand.  Anything out there with good instructions on assembly?  Most of what I've run across deals with the 1910/Mk. III rifles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interesting design. I like the clear stamps on the stock. It would be fun to find out a little more about those units. I had a relative that served in the Canadian army early on in WW1. I'd love to find one that looks as good. What did you give for it?

View Quote

The Royal Canadian Regiment is blessedly easy to find information on.  Obtaining anything about what I'm assuming is Company B of the 4th Regiment of the New York State Militia is proving to be a bit more difficult

Rifle and bayonet were $950.  From the resources I've found, this ranges from a reasonable price to a little high, but I simply don't encounter these rifles in all-original condition around here, and I wanted one to help complete part of my collection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice one.

The MkIII is the one you need to be care full with for bolt assembly but even most of those are modified so they can't be assembled wrong.

If you need to take the bolt apart look online or get a copy of a collectors book that has instructions.

I have a MkIII an have shot MkII's the Ross is a interesting rifle and one of the few that they actually made worse as the Marks progressed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Recently bought sporterized 1905 Ross. Disassembly is a bitch. recommend take pictures of bolt before disassembly. it was the only thing that helped me.

The following book has the best info. that I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Guide-Military-Disassembly-Reassembly/dp/1931464324/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416528458&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=military+rifle+dissassembly

Let me know how it shoots. I Probably wont get a chance to shoot until spring, and I just got in some .303 from CTD.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgottenweapons.com has videos, manuals, photos, etc... all about the Ross Rifle. They even got a donated rifle and did bolt tests with the bolt improperly assembled.

Check them out... a huge wealth of information.

Also I hate you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Forgottenweapons.com has videos, manuals, photos, etc... all about the Ross Rifle. They even got a donated rifle and did bolt tests with the bolt improperly assembled.

Check them out... a huge wealth of information.

Also I hate you.
View Quote

Awesome!  Just printed off the manual, looks like a great resource

And I'm so, so very sorry
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The Mk. II (1905) and Mk. III (1910) are different designs. The Mk. III is the one with the bolt assembly issues (but, to be fair, they're overstated and only a moron wouldn't notice that something wasn't right). The Mk. IIs don't suffer from them at all.

The U.S. Mk. II rifles are pretty common. We bought a lot of them and didn't do much with them, so they all got surplused in pretty nice shape. That said, you did fine on price.

Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody shed some light on the 2/12 and 54/68 on the stock, above the Mk II and serial?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Head over to gunboards.com.  They have a WWI forum there and JPS should be able to help you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice Ross, they are very fun guns to shoot and usually get at least one person running over to tell you how "unsafe" they are!

Yours was most likely issued in the 148th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

As for the 2/12 54/68, my best guess is they are the squad and rifle's number, which would have them meaning 54th rifle of 2nd squad. You'd need to travel to Ottawa to find the exact history from the DND's records, which should have the serial number of the rifle listed in them.

Thanks for sharing some awesome pics of a surviving Ross, makes me sad that mine was chopped so badly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top