Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 5:30:19 PM EDT
Since Greek ammo is making a big splash...not surprising given their financial situation...any chance of Greek weapons making the trek into the good ole USA?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Greek Garands.

OPA!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I certainly am happy with my Greek return rack grade M1 Garand.  Most accurate M1 I have.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The American-made Greek weapons (Garands, carbines, etc.) were there on a loan basis, are still owned by the U.S., and have to be returned, either for destruction or for sale through the CMP.

Prior to the American aid (which started with the Truman Doctrine), the Greeks used British weapons, such as Enfields and Brens. I don't know what the ownership status of those is, but there have to be few, if any, left in Greek hands.

The pre-WW2 armament, such as Greek Mannlichers, is long gone. And the post-American-aid weapons, such as the G3's made in Greece under license from H&K, are not importable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Like pointed out the Greeks sold all their miscellaneous small arms years ago Mannlichers, Enfields ,Mausers, Carcanos etc.

The CMP got a lot of the MAP Garands, Springfields and can get more if the Greeks have any left. If they couldn't get Garands and Carbines from Korea don't count on any non MAP coming from Greece with the current admin and its anti-gun cronies in the St Dept.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Greece during and following WWII was like Iraq and Afghanistan today.  You could find almost any weapon being used by one side or another.  This was especially true after WWII during their civil war.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Greece during and following WWII was like Iraq and Afghanistan today. You could find almost any weapon being used by one side or another. This was especially true after WWII during their civil war.
View Quote

Yes, there were lots of captures from the Italians and Germans, which went into the hands of the guerrillas. Under the Varkiza agreement of February 1945, which ended the first round of the Greek civil war, the EAM-ELAS guerrillas were supposed to surrender their armaments to the British-backed government. You can see historical pictures of truckloads of weapons being surrendered. However, some diehard elements kept their guns, and they kept the best ones (Enfields, for example, in preference to Carcanos). After the second round of the civil war started (1946-1949) the guerrillas -- now called the Greek Democratic Army -- were supplied with Soviet weapons through Yugoslavia and Albania, in addition to the weapons left over from the first round. Many of these weapons just disappeared into the woodwork in Greece after the guerrillas were finally defeated. There was another huge influx of illegal weapons -- mostly AK-47's -- more recently, after the fall of the Hoxha dictatorship in next-door Albania. Obviously, all these illegal weapons, although adding to  a growing crime problem within Greece, are not candidates for legitimate international commerce.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I'm thinking of a certain Al Sharpton quote that describes those outfits.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Greek return 1903 Remington with a 43 barrel and all matching numbers. There are possibly 200,000 or more still in warehouses that could return if a Republican wins in 2016. Not to mention the Korean Garands and Carbines.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Greek return 1903 Remington with a 43 barrel and all matching numbers. There are possibly 200,000 or more still in warehouses that could return if a Republican wins in 2016. Not to mention the Korean Garands and Carbines.
View Quote

So, that means they wont be coming back in!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to think positive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top