Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 4:07:54 AM EDT
I inherited a few of my grandfathers firearms, to include an 1899 Krag Carbine.  He died long before I was born and my uncle (who I received it from) didn't know anything about it.  It was obviously lightly sporterized.  A sling swivel was added, as was a rubber butt plate.  The original sights were removed and a Pacific no drill peep sight was added, as well as a taller front sight.  The rear sight leaf base holes were filled in with plastic feeling plugs.  I haven't shot the rifle thus far and I'm trying to determine whether it's worth it to restore the rifle to original condition or keep it as my grandfather made it.  I have no intent to sell it either way...  Sorry for the potato pics....I took them over 8 years ago and really need to dig the rifle out for some fresh pictures...

Can anyone tell me actual year of MFG and possibly a unit it was provided to by the S/N?  What has me puzzled is the odd serial number.  Krag serial numbers, AFAIK, never went over 500,000 (more like 480k-ish).  Any explanation for a S/N in the 800k range?  I've read that some mis-strikes occurred with their "3" stamps making them look like 8's....but this looks undoubtedly like an intentional "8"...  It was acquired by him in the 40's so I sincerely doubt it's a fake...as there was no reason to fake them back then.  They were dirt cheap "obsolete" rifles that people grabbed as bargain hunting rifles...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Springfield's cursive script is like that a lot.  The 3's stamp out looking like 8's.  When the 3 is next to an 8 however one can tell the difference.  8's are wider.  

Krags and trapdoors have this problem.  I have an 1873 Trap door that looks like 1878.  1903's don't have this problem as early ones had fancy cursive numbers with later ones having the standard block numbers we are familiar with.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Compare the 8 in the date to the 3 in the serial and you'll see the difference.

I don't have my books in front of me but I think it's a 1901 serial #.

As for restoring, you'll need a stock, a sight, and an idea of how bad the bbl was modified putting the front sight band on. The finish on the end of the bbl looks different so you'd have to match that up as well. The handguard looks like it's for a M1898/M1902 sight. Is the front band for a rifle or did they put the front swivel on the stock? If the former you'll need a front band as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
keep it as he had it, and if you hunt, take it out for a hunt or 3

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would restore it. The hunt for the proper parts will take you a long time, so consider this a long-term project.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The 1899 was only made as a carbine and correct parts are hard to find and $$ when you do. How long is the barrel? That looks like a 1903 front sight,

You can get reproduction barrels from CMP and reproduction stocks off EBay. The hardest part would be the carbine rear sight. Mine needs a new barrel but I couldn't find anyone to mount it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top