Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 12:41:48 AM EDT

I went wi the S&K (no D&T) mount on my 1965 Ishapore and for the time being I through a 4x Trijicon TR24 Accupoint on her. I was very pleased with the initial performance. I quickly got a couple inch group using some old Lake City unbelted ammo. Could reliably hit 12" steel at 300yds.

Now, while that is a very decent optic for any high power rifle it definitely does not look the part sitting atop an old battle rifle. I'd like to find something looking a bit more period Correct and still get around 4x magnification.

Any ideas ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The first thing that popped into my head is an El Paso made Weaver K4.  
The scope pictured is one from the 1950's.
It's a pretty good scope.  There's a company refurbishing them if you get one.

Sitting on my Buffalo Classic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not the only one to recommend this.  I've got a Weaver K4-60 steel tube El Paso built en route.  Found on ebay for $90.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Just got this 1960s era, steel tube, El Paso built, Weaver K4-60 installed onto this 1965 Ishapore 21A ($90 on eBay). I wish I could push the scope a bit more forward. The sweet spot for eye relief may be a bit to far back for my taste. The only mild snare was having to shave down the back of the mount so the bolt release would clear for removal.  Not a big deal.

I don't know if the Indians would have made snipers out of these but despite the (No drill and tap) S&K Insta Mount the glass and rifle are correct for each others periods and plenty of Weavers, I'm told, made it on to sniper/DMR rifles. Just need to get out and shoot her now. I'll report back if anyone is interested. Plenty of pics. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Why can't you move the sight forward?   Looks like all you need to do is loosen the screws on the upper half of the rings and adjust from there.  It looks from the picture you might get 2" of travel forward.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Use offset front ring, and/or file a new ring slot further forward in the base.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone ever seen a Ishapore with a scout sniper setup on it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lower one here, one of my favorite rifles.  Heavy and no irons compared to scout spec, but very handy and holds 12ish.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Leupold 2.5x IER scout scope on mine, I like the combination a lot.  Not a sniper rifle, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
How is the front of the S&K mount attached?

Is that a ring the goes around the receiver?

I have a modern Weaver 4X scope just laying around here and I think it would be great on my 2A1.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that a ring the goes around the receiver?.
View Quote

Yup.  There's just a skootch of inletting that needs to happen within the stock.  True.  Its a mod but Negligible and internal.

I really do not care for the form factor of scout mounting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reply.

I'm with you on "Scout scopes" as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top