Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 8:10:12 PM EDT
So the old man is in his mid-70s, and had a small stroke that left him with some fine motor loss in his right hand.  He decided to parcel out most of his guns to my brother and I.  Among the ones that came to me are three bolt action rifles I have very little knowledge of.  I'm hoping that someone here can help me, even if these aren't C&Rs (honestly don't know, my areas of expertise is in lever actions, old Smith revolvers, and black rifles).  

The first is a Springfield 1896 in .30-40 Krag.  It's in good overall shape, with a clean bore and no real damage to the stock.  
" />

" />

There's a single tapped hole in the barrel, like someone started to install scope mounts but then changed their mind halfway through the process.
" />

The second is a Mauser I think, though there are no markings at all to be seen without removing the stock.  It's chambered in 8mm Mauser.
" />

The only two marks I can find on it are these:
" />

" />

This one also has this in the trigger guard:
" />
Is it some sort of set trigger?  I'm a little leery of just turning it to see what it does.

The third is a Swedish Mauser in 6.5mm.  The numbers on the action and bolt match, none of the others do.  It's also missing the cleaning rod I think.
" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

These have no sentimental value to me and hold very little interest as far as being guns.  The guns I shot with my dad when I was a kid or have memories tied to them or belonged to his dad are all being kept.  Brother has no interest in them either.  Can anyone give me an idea what they're worth?  Are they the type of thing I could just walk into a pawnshop and find or are they more uncommon than that?  I really have no idea.  

Thanks for any help in advance.  Sorry the pictures aren't great, I'm not a photographer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well i would go online like on gunbroker an look as a ballpark estimate bit im not sure about the krag or what kind of 8mm u have or price for either im not an expert (yet) but the swedish mauser is about 400-500$
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The .30-40 is a sporterized US. Krag.   The screw hole I believe was for the original rear sight.  The rifle was worked over to be a hunting rifle.  Not a bad job.  I would say $200-300.

The second is a nice looking sporterized Mauser.  Nice stock and a custom adjustable trigger.  Also nicely done.  A sheer guess without looking over closer would be $300 or more.  

The last is an apparently unmolested Swedish mauser and unmolested is worth I would say $600-800.  

You see how much more they are worth unsporterized.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The .30-40 is a sporterized US. Krag.   The screw hole I believe was for the original rear sight.  The rifle was worked over to be a hunting rifle.  Not a bad job.  I would say $200-300.

The second is a nice looking sporterized Mauser.  Nice stock and a custom adjustable trigger.  Also nicely done.  A sheer guess without looking over closer would be $300 or more.  

The last is an apparently unmolested Swedish mauser and unmolested is worth I would say $600-800.  

View Quote

When I was around 12 or 13 I asked my dad why he didn't sporterize a rifle he had (none of the three above).  He told me a story about a friend of his whose son had a VW Bug.  The son took the VW and made it into a Baja.  Dad's friend said, "congratulations, you just spent $1000 to turn a $2,000 into a $1,500 car."  Then the old man told me that was what sporterizing was, only with guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Krag has had been sporterized by having the stock cut down and having the sights altered.  The 8mm Mauser is a heavily sporterized Imperial German Mauser in a sporting stock, with many of the markings removed, the sights and bolt altered, a sporter stock installed, and it has what looks to be a modified adjustable trigger.

But the Swedish M38 Mauser appears to be in original configuration.

Sporterizing significantly hurts the value of surplus rifles.  The 8mm Mauser is likely only worth a few hundred as a deer rifle.  The sporterized Krag is worth about the same.  However, the Swedish M38 Mauser is worth $400-$600+, depending on manufacturer, overall condition, and whether it has all matching serial numbers on the parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Swede Mauser in question was very heavily sanded. Note how "proud" the metal components reside in the stock. Butchered is too nice a word.

Value and desirability is of course subjective. Personally, I wouldn't own it. Anyone with experience and taste would likely consider it to be only a "shooter", not a collector's piece.  Value as a shooter, perhaps $200-$250 to someone with flexible standards.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Swede Mauser in question was very heavily sanded. Note how "proud" the metal components reside in the stock. Butchered is too nice a word.

Value and desirability is of course subjective. Personally, I wouldn't own it. Anyone with experience and taste would likely consider it to be only a "shooter", not a collector's piece.  Value as a shooter, perhaps $200-$250 to someone with flexible standards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sad, but true...  most of the value of that poor Swede has been sanded away... It'd be worth twice as much if it still had its original dark patina.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
+ the bolt has been bubba bent .
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree with the last few posts here.  No more than $300 a piece.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Scope 'em & shoot 'em.  And get a trigger gauge on that Mauser set trigger.    Likely someone who knew what he was doing there.  And you may be quite pleased w/ the ballistics of the 6.5x55mm.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Swede Mausers have a reputation for being accurate, so I'd keep that one, plus 6.5x55 is a great round.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I agree, I just picked an absolutely beautiful 1906 CG 96 long rifle, it is pristine with a beautiful French Walnut stock....complete, all matching...I paid $400 for it...

I would say that Swede is in the $250 range...would be a great shooter I am sure, but real collector value is pretty low...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
The Swede M38 has a mix of parts. The bolt has the Husqvarna stamp & the magazine floorplate the Carl Gustav stamp
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, too bad I don't own a boat since it looks like I have three good options for anchors.  

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, too bad I don't own a boat since it looks like I have three good options for anchors.  

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate them.
View Quote

You have 3 shooters. Boat anchors look entirely different.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The bent bolt on the Sweede is not correct. The originals were forged. not heated and bent like that one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
dang, sorry I missed the mark wide on that one.   I didn't catch the abuse and I thought the current very condition ones were up in the high range.  One of the last ones I saw was that high but the shop could have been smoking the ganja.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Sporter krags have gone up in value. $350
Mauser $150
Swede $300
These are top end prices for what they are...Shooters.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
How hard would it be to restore the krag to correct-ish condition?  I realize the sported rear sight would leave a blemish, but otherwise?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to restore the krag to correct-ish condition?  I realize the sported rear sight would leave a blemish, but otherwise?
View Quote

It's been commercially blued, and the sight is probably dove-tailed into the bbl. You could probably drop $5-600 into it to make a $3-400 rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top