BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How often did you shoot that one and how many hundreds of rounds did you put through it? Why did you sell it?

I buy rifles to shoot, not collect.  I'll never sell my 1943 as it was my first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I refinished a $69 rifle with the finish flaking off of it and you are upset with me.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20141003_162206_zpsxutjtgdh.jpg

Just because YOU bought it for cheap doesn't mean it might not be a mislabeled rifle being horribly undersold.

Had one with that type of cracked shellac.. i kept it as it was.. and it looked great (sold rifle)

Some folks just have to have an excuse to justify a refinish of a rifle..

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8185833632_48979f5bb2_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8185793357_6cd5f79a95_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8185793175_c859117a2f_b.jpg

How often did you shoot that one and how many hundreds of rounds did you put through it? Why did you sell it?

I buy rifles to shoot, not collect.  I'll never sell my 1943 as it was my first.

It would shoot the exact same with a shellac finish, maybe even better actually. You're just trying to come up with half thought out excuses to justify your past mistakes and continued ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  It would shoot the exact same with a shellac finish, maybe even better actually. You're just trying to come up with half thought out excuses to justify your past mistakes and continued ignorance.
View Quote

How is refinishing HIS OWN RIFLE a mistake?  If you want to control what everyone does w/ their Mosins, then buy them up already.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How is refinishing HIS OWN RIFLE a mistake?  If you want to control what everyone does w/ their Mosins, then buy them up already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It would shoot the exact same with a shellac finish, maybe even better actually. You're just trying to come up with half thought out excuses to justify your past mistakes and continued ignorance.

Thats all fine and good.. but i requested that this thread be free of bubba. If one wants to show off their refinish work - their is a section for that; and i can tell you its not the c&r section.

Refinishing C&R rifles,  altering/removing their original finishes , d&t etc - IE any permanent alterations to a piece is considered bubba. It is what it is.

Restoration/ conservation is an entirely different topic.

As for buying rifles to shoot and not to collect - you are telling me that you can't do both?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just snobbery. Just think about all the history those Russians destroyed rearsenalling all those Mosins.

Personalizing something thats mine cannot be a mistake. Just a choice you vociferously oppose.

No bubba here. It came out beautiful.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
To clarify..

I don't give two shakes what this man does or doesn't do to his rifle. In the end it's his property and he can do with it as he likes. But, in saying that:

1. I am not going to promote it

2. I am not going to hi-five one who does it

3. I am going to disagree and protest it when its in a thread dedicated to unaltered examples or posted in a section with the same dedication.

4. I am going to say what i think of it  and why i believe its wrong / not necessary /  etc in the nicest most courteous manner.

Restoration/ conservation is an entirely different topic.

You want to see flacking shellac?

oh it shoots just as fine as a pretty finished refurb.

They said the same about 98ks, enfields, etc .. now look at how much an unmolested example goes for compared to one that was molested.

Do you know how many m91 stocks ive seen near ruined because someone had too much free time on their hands when they were cheap? Its sad really.

In the end..  there was nothing wrong with your stock.

All that is just my humble .02 cents. You can agree to disagree.

Quoted:
Getting back to the OP's request, today's gun show find, 1939 finn'd Izhevsk. Finnish 2 piece stock, with sling hangers. SA marked, Bolt and receiver match, floor plate and magazine is from a pre-'28 tula rifle. Butt plate is scrubbed tula, and has a faint serial stamped on the rear instead of the top.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN2_zpse3319b1e.png

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN_zps9bbba4b5.png
View Quote

I appreciate that; i wish others here would give me the same courtesy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I wont buy Bubba molested rifles, I like the used and been there look.

I saw a m91/38 for sale the other day. In a plastic stock and front sight cut off. Totally ruined and worthless except for a few parts.

This old and worn rifle looks better than any refinished Mosin and is likely worth more also.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wont buy Bubba molested rifles, I like the used and been there look.

I saw a m91/38 for sale the other day. In a plastic stock and front sight cut off. Totally ruined and worthless except for a few parts.

This old and worn rifle looks better than any refinished Mosin and is likely worth more also.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/lees99f150/SCW%20cleaned%20up/cleanedupscw001_zps5ce97f51.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/lees99f150/SCW%20cleaned%20up/cleanedupscw004_zpsa25834df.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful SCW. Love it.

Here is a non IMport Tula w/ a SCW tula.. both 1937

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just snobbery. Just think about all the history those Russians destroyed rearsenalling all those Mosins.

Personalizing something thats mine cannot be a mistake. Just a choice you vociferously oppose.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20141007_140030_zpsbgqkumig.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20141007_140030_zpsbgqkumig.jpg

That's making history. Just like how the 60's era Garand rebuilds are becoming collectible in their own right.

Once it leaves military hands is when the timeline for adding "history" stops, and the timeline for "preservation" starts.

False. Look at what section you're in. Hint - it's not the refinishing forum.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How  is spray painting YOUR OWN CAR a mistake? If you want to control what everyone does w/ their cars, then buy them up already.

Yay! Non sequiturs for everyone! If we ever say something that backbecher doesn't like or happen to disagree with something anyone does ever then that obviously means we want to control the world and all human action in it like some sort of omnipotent fascist dictator! This TOTALLY makes sense! OUR LORD AND SAVIOR BUBBA BACKBENCHER BE PRAISED!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How  is spray painting YOUR OWN CAR a mistake? If you want to control what everyone does w/ their cars, then buy them up already.

Yay! Non sequiturs for everyone! If we ever say something that backbecher doesn't like or happen to disagree with something anyone does ever then that obviously means we want to control the world and all human action in it like some sort of omnipotent fascist dictator! This TOTALLY makes sense! OUR LORD AND SAVIOR BUBBA BACKBENCHER BE PRAISED!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HINT HINT

Just sayin...

If you find that you're getting grief for something in a particular subforum it's likely your in the wrong subforum.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

HINT HINT

Just sayin...

If you find that you're getting grief for something in a particular subforum it's likely your in the wrong subforum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HINT HINT

Just sayin...

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just picked up horribly bubba'ed non-import 1919 Tula Mosin for mere $100. I'm sure Bubba got hold of it when it was a $40 rifle. Bought it only because it has a nice barrel roll marking still intact.

If bubba left that one alone it could have been $1000 rifle instead of $100.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may not know it but you refinished a WW II era stock. Look at where the dog collars go throw, no metal...

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I like them all

Top to bottom:

1939 Tula laminate stock
1943 Tula
1938 Izzy Molot
1942 Izzy
1934 Hex Izzy
1927 Hex ex-dragoon
1929 Tula Hex
1954 T53
1954 Romanian M44
1945 Izzy M44
1943 Izzy M38
1932 Tula Nagant Revolver
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
1932 Tula... Hex receiver, all numbers match except the bayonet.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1932 Tula... Hex receiver, all numbers match except the bayonet.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/skidman/media/Russian1_zps705df3bf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/skidman/Russian1_zps705df3bf.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice clean honest example.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like them all http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/dsmturbo444/null_zps435589e2.jpg

Top to bottom:

1939 Tula laminate stock
1943 Tula
1938 Izzy Molot
1942 Izzy
1934 Hex Izzy
1927 Hex ex-dragoon
1929 Tula Hex
1954 T53
1954 Romanian M44
1945 Izzy M44
1943 Izzy M38
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I like them all http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/dsmturbo444/null_zps435589e2.jpg

Top to bottom:

1939 Tula laminate stock
1943 Tula
1938 Izzy Molot
1942 Izzy
1934 Hex Izzy
1927 Hex ex-dragoon
1929 Tula Hex
1954 T53
1954 Romanian M44
1945 Izzy M44
1943 Izzy M38

Nice!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just picked up horribly bubba'ed non-import 1919 Tula Mosin for mere $100. I'm sure Bubba got hold of it when it was a $40 rifle. Bought it only because it has a nice barrel roll marking still intact.

If bubba left that one alone it could have been $1000 rifle instead of $100.

shit.. why did bubba have to fu&k with a 1919...
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

shit.. why did bubba have to fu&k with a 1919...
View Quote

Over the last month, I've come across a bubba'd Dragoon and either another bubba Dragoon or M91.

Honestly, I don't feel much better about the prospect of it being the more common M91....  

I LOVES me some M91s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I worked at TGI when we were bringing in 91/30's 10-15,000 at a time. Some were absolutely gorgeous. Some not. I picked up a really nice 5 line 1926 Tula for employee pricing. Won't say what that was.

We were bringing in 5.5 million rounds with each shipment. Set back a few cases.

Wished I would have bought 2 or 3 more rifles. Never got around to it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
My first 91/30 is a basic refurb/force match 1931 Tula in a post war stock. But the bore is basically new. It's my favorite 91/30, peeling shellac and all .  I'll have to snap new pics when I can. It's on top.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying....I wish I'd never see any 'bubba' examples in this forum. I'm new to collecting, and my only 'bubba' rifle is my 1938 91/30 that I cleaned with an AR type cleaner when I first joined this forum. I was really down on myself about that, yes she's pretty now cause I tried to make up for it by sanding her lightly but smooth as a young girls ass. She's nice, but If I could turn back time I'd not have used the wrong cleaner that stripped her finish, as ugly as she was it was history. Preserving that history is what I want to do, if I can clean them up without harming their 'history' or value then yes I want to do that, but clean only in the respect of no further deterioration will occur, wood is hydrated and healthy, etc. I shoot all mine by the way.
So people like me are here for info on what we have, what we want and how to protect.
My only interest in anything 'bubba'd is if it's not so bad and I can bring back a gem that would have otherwise been lost. Nuff said take the bubbas to the bubba forum.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's my new fav. 91/30, a 1941 Izhevsk that was captured by the Finnish Army in the Continuation War and put into service, then re-captured by Soviet forces sometime prior to 1945. Commonly called a "recapture".

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's my new fav. 91/30, a 1941 Izhevsk that was captured by the Finnish Army in the Continuation War and put into service, then re-captured by Soviet forces sometime prior to 1945. Commonly called a "recapture".

<a href="http://s478.photobucket.com/user/brcampbe/media/IMG_2486_zpsc36bf49b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr141/brcampbe/IMG_2486_zpsc36bf49b.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s478.photobucket.com/user/brcampbe/media/IMG_2487_zps90515ee0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr141/brcampbe/IMG_2487_zps90515ee0.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s478.photobucket.com/user/brcampbe/media/IMG_2488_zpsd0a3c7cc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr141/brcampbe/IMG_2488_zpsd0a3c7cc.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s478.photobucket.com/user/brcampbe/media/IMG_2489_zps9c43c548.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr141/brcampbe/IMG_2489_zps9c43c548.jpg</a>
View Quote

About time you stopped buying those silly factory '43s and got a real rare mosin   My current fave is probably the factory original matched, non-import marked transitional 1933 Tula M91/30 in minty condition that flew well under the radar of all the vultures

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#24]
My '39 dated Tula Finn Capture 91/30

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
hey Spaxs,

What ya do to piss of Vic and join my rank lol? :)  randomly noticed it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#26]
It's not a 91/30, but it's the closest I've got, my only one, and therefore my favorite one
'44 SAKO on a Remington receiver. Great bore and muzzle, amazing trigger. Had to do some repair in the neck of the stock, but no big deal. The stock is an original war-time as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Hands down among the  M91'30's in my collection my favorite is a Finn captured 1940 Tula that bears the coveted Puolustuslaitos stamp, the 41 Continuation war capture mark and the SA stamp as well.

An outdoor shot accompanied by my Finn captured SVT40
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I got an email today and saw some very familiar timber
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
i'll join in.... i don't shoot these as often as i would like.

top to bottom:
1915-ish New England Westinghouse, SA marked
1926 Tula ex-dragoon
1943 Izzy (has since been sold)

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to be a sneaky bastard here, too. It's this.

In my defense, the tang is marked 1935r with an Ishevsk arrow-in-triangle. This was an M91/30 originally!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top