Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 5:14:30 PM EDT
Not much for sale anymore and have doubts of the future(from dealers only interested in rifles).  I have  a Yugo 24/47, 2 british enfields, and a mosin magant.  I was looking at the prices of 303 and 8mm ammo and for their price I would rather shoot my M1A.  I will keep the mosin as that ammo is still reasonable,  but now I only seam to hold on to them as safe queens the brits are in excellent shape and so is the yugo.  I do have around 800 rounds of brass 8mm ammo and it seams to be more valuable than the rifle itself.  I have not seen any new Remington or Winchester brass for sale since the ammo shortage stuff started.  I have 2 years left on my license but have not seen anything that I would want since the first cz 82 came to market, and most dealers discounts have gone away or never much of a discount to start with.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Not much for sale anymore and have doubts of the future(from dealers only interested in rifles).  I have  a Yugo 24/47, 2 british enfields, and a mosin magant.  I was looking at the prices of 303 and 8mm ammo and for their price I would rather shoot my M1A.  I will keep the mosin as that ammo is still reasonable,  but now I only seam to hold on to them as safe queens the brits are in excellent shape and so is the yugo.  I do have around 800 rounds of brass 8mm ammo and it seams to be more valuable than the rifle itself.  I have not seen any new Remington or Winchester brass for sale since the ammo shortage stuff started.  I have 2 years left on my license but have not seen anything that I would want since the first cz 82 came to market, and most dealers discounts have gone away or never much of a discount to start with.

Snowman357
View Quote

All you have to do is...  nothing.  Wait until your license expires then you can destroy your bound book if you like and you won't have to record dispositions of anything you sell.  If you sell sooner just record the dispositions in your bound book and do nothing further.  Once your license expires you are no longer required to keep your bound book, nor are you required to send it to BATFE.

Since I am assuming you didn't acquire your C&Rs with the intention of making a profit you should be O.K., even if you make a profit when you sell them.  Your intent on selling them is because you no longer are interested in them for collection purposes, which should be considered an acceptable reason to sell.

Of course IANAL...  the above is just my understanding of how this works.

FWIW, .303 British and 8x57 Mauser commercial ammo is for sale around here, albeit, not cheap, it is priced like most other similar sized commercial ammo like .30-06 Spr or .308 Win.   Usually what I see is Remington, but I've occasionally seen Winchester and PPU as well.  Those two aren't really hard to find cartridges compared to some others.  I reload so it really isn't a big issue for me.  Mausers and Enfields are pretty gentle on brass and there is basically no loss like with a semi-auto, so I can reload cases many times.  Cost for reloading most similar cartridges are all about the same, its the cases that are the expensive part.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I also reload but to but that ammo or reload for it will cost me the same (or more)  as shooting 223 or 308.  I started shooting them for the nostalgia and the cheap ammo.  The nostalgia is still there but the cheap ammo is gone.  

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So, without a C&R how will you qualify for the discount at Brownell's? Dealer prices at Brownell's is all the justification a man needs to have and keep a C&R license.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Brother has an FFL plus  brownells is my last place to look most of the time I can get it cheaper at other places.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brother has an FFL plus  brownells is my last place to look most of the time I can get it cheaper at other places.

Snowman357
View Quote

Agreed^  Brownells is on crack with most of their pricing.  I think I'm gonna let mine go too.  Any good pistols that could become C&R are still 20+ years away the way things are going.  8mm ammo on the rifle side of things is too damn pricey for what it is and SVT40's are too expensive for me.  I don't need or want a Mosin ever again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont forget non surplus too.. A lot of the older guns are starting to get on the list.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed^  Brownells is on crack with most of their pricing . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowman357

Agreed^  Brownells is on crack with most of their pricing . . .

Their dealer pricing is on par with discount sellers. Their shipping is reasonable and they carry stuff others don't carry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at my posts. No C&R I have purchased and posted on this forum has came from a distributor or auction site. I used my C&R every single time on shop bought C&R weapons. I suspect I average one C&R weapon every couple weeks at pawn shops, LGSs, or in FTF transactions.

The ammo thing is not much of a much. .38 spl, .32 auto, .380, 9mm, and .22 is affordable (discounting neckbeard prices) to shoot. You don't need to blast away with a battle rifle to enjoy some C&R shooting.

Lots of C&R revolvers, pistols, and .22s (rifles and pistols) to be had and often at very good prices. You just need to expand some and not be hung-up on mil-surps.

If you can't find something to use your C&R on then you just aren't looking hard enough. The fun is in the hunt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you can't find something to use your C&R on then you just aren't looking hard enough. The fun is in the hunt.
View Quote

not all of us are retired or have good pawn/gun shops near us either though.  And GB prices are sky high too on most C&R stuff or the seller won't honor C&R and ships to FFL only
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

not all of us are retired or have good pawn/gun shops near us either though.  And GB prices are sky high too on most C&R stuff or the seller won't honor C&R and ships to FFL only
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1srelluc is right, your not looking hard enough.  Where I live there are 0 pawn shows that deal in firearms, about 8 gun shows per year, and few flee markets... but quite a few LGS.  I will admit that it is very difficult to get local guns for me.  If you are not really into it, it can almost feel like a job to do the searching and legwork.  If that is the case you are A.)  not that into it or B.) getting burnt out.  If not that into it, let the C&R expire and sell off your stock.  If it is just burnt out (happened to me about a year ago and lasted 6 months where I didnt even look at guns), then take a break and come back to the hobby refreshed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
There are plenty of places to look for C&R guns besides online retailers or GunBroker, or spending hours scouring local pawn shops, gun stores, and gun shows.  

To put this in perspective, my collection consists of over three dozen military surplus rifles.  Of those, only 6 of them are from online retailers, 1 is from the CMP, 1 is from Gunbroker, and 5 are from local gun shops and pawn shops.  That's 13 from those sources.  The other 25+, or about twice as many, have all been acquired from the Classifieds sections of various military surplus forums, including the C&R EE forum of this very website, as well as from local private sales through Armslist.  All within the past 10 years.

As stated, if you can't find any C&R guns for sale, you aren't looking very hard.  Even if the distributors are all sold out, and you don't have time to drive around to all the local gun shops, there are tons of them available from other sources.  

And unlike buying a luck-of-the-draw generic rifle from a pile of them at a distributor and just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best, when buying from sources like private sales and online WTS ads, you know ahead of time exactly what you're getting and can hunt around for exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most pawn shops around here don't sell firearms at all, they do all that through GB if at all.  The few that sell in the shop tend to want more than full on retail.  Many brick and mortar places around here won't do transfers to C&Rs even on eligible guns due to ignorance of what C&R is or hatred of C&R FFLs (taking food outta my baby's mouth because they don't have to pay transfer fees).  On the other hand I've had great luck on GB...  and only ran into a few @$$#013 FFLs that refused to deal with a C&R...  almost always FFLs from NY, NJ, MA or other NE blue states.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I let mine go a few years ago when the supply really dried up to near nothing and the prices shot up. If I want something I will troll some shows for walk ins or hit a few of the smaller shops.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess it depends on why you got into C&R in the first place.  If you got into it for the cheap guns and ammo: yes, the heyday is over is not likely to return.  If you got into it for the historical/collection aspect, it still has value and always will.  Having the guns shipped straight to your door is worth the price alone just on the convenience, not to mention skipping the FFL transfer fee and background check charge (if applicable, $10 minimum in OR).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those assholes need to be strung up by their balls, particularly when they list in the C&R and Antique sections.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those assholes need to be strung up by their balls, particularly when they list in the C&R and Antique sections.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as local shops go they just need to be properly trained.

None of the local pawn shops/LGSs in my area knew anything at all about a 03 FFL till I schooled them on it. Once they figure out how much easier it is on them they seem disappointed if a gun I buy does not make the 50 year mark and they have to mess with the paperwork/call-in.

You get out what you put in. Not only that but you pave the way for those with a C&R that come after you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

None of the local pawn shops/LGSs in my area knew anything at all about a 03 FFL till I schooled them on it. Once they figure out how much easier it is on them they seem disappointed if a gun I buy does not make the 50 year mark and they have to mess with the paperwork/call-in.

You get out what you put in. Not only that but you pave the way for those with a C&R that come after you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem with the local shops and the C&R. Well, I did have one demand an FFL or a 4473 on an antique Colt made in 1890 once.

My problem is with these mouthbreathers on gunbroker, primarily in the Yankee shit holes of the North East (never had a problem with a California based dealer)

"Hi I would like to bid on this S&W Model 2 from 1891, will you accept an 03 FFL on this even though it's an antique and does not require it?"
"NO ALL FIREARMS MUST SHIP TO A LICENSED FFL IF IT TAKES A CARTRIDGE AND HAS A FIRING PIN IT CANNOT GO TO YOUR LICENSE I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE"
"OK thanks, hope you choke on it after you eat a bag of dicks."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top