Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:36 AM EDT
I found this Argentine M1891 Mauser (made by Loewe, Berlin in 1893) this past Saturday. I traded a pretty decent (deluxe) Ruger 10-22 I never used for it.

Easily the "purdyest" mil-surp in my collection. The workmanship is just superb.

Sadly like many of the M1891s surplused off the crest has been scrubbed but the bore is perfect, has a beautiful tiger striped stock, and it's numbers matching down to the cleaning rod. I'd rate the blue (discounting the scrubbed area) at 98%. Looks like it got the rear sight leaf upgrade of the early 1900s.

Thank goodness they did not sand off the Argy crests on the stock/HG like on some examples I've seen. The HG still has the copper wires attached in their grooves and around the barrel.

It was coated in preservative but not like the heavy cosmo on many mil-surps such as the Yugos. More of a mid-weight grease. Rem-Oil cut it just fine after the bulk of it was wiped off.

LOL...When I pushed the first tight patch through the bore I got a 8" long plug of grease for my trouble....I saved it.

The biggest chore was the bolt, I had to disassemble and de-grease it. Sure does operate smooth. Happy camper I am.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet trade!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a gorgeous rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a gorgeous rifle.
View Quote

Thanks, I wonder what kind of wood it is? Looks like European walnut.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a gorgeous rifle.

European walnut, definitely.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate OP.  That's a gorgeous rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one just like that, Lowe, 1893 and the serial isn't too far off from yours. It is a gorgeous rifle and shoots well too. Mine is also easily the prettiest rifle in my collection.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice.

I have had two E series , they added the mag lock somewhere in the F series. A lot of these were imported and can still be found at reasonable prices;  good shooters too.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice.

I have had two E series , they added the mag lock somewhere in the F series. A lot of these were imported and can still be found at reasonable prices;  good shooters too.....
View Quote

There's a guy in WI that is still sitting on a bunch of them and parts. I got a front band for a Engineer's carbine from him. No idea about condition of the carbines and rifles.

At least as far as the part went he was good to deal with and seemed very knowledgeable.

http://www.reconord.com/Home.php

1891-Rifle Standard Rifles   $295
1891- SC Standard  Carbines  $595  
1891--EC Engineer Carbines  $395

Fairly old site so I don't know if those prices are still valid or not.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I had an engineers carbine that had wood like that.  My mechanic took it in trade for when My wife's minivan burst its freeze plug while she was on the highway and needed a lot of work after it overheated.  Got a lot of work value wise  strait up for that carbine, but I miss it!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful. It reminds me very much of one I traded away back in the '90s for my gun of the month/year that I was interested in at the time. Idiot me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
my wife is going to hate it when I retire and have time to go find good deals :-) ...... 20 more years to go. sigh.

nice find and a VERY beautiful rifle. I had to do several doublechecks to see if that was issued wood or something nicely done post. Looks like they must have taken a lot of pride in their wood selection or...this is just one pretty fluke.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Love that tiger stripe furniture.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Just acquired an M1891 Argie myself today. Not as pretty as yours but still an attractive rifle. It's missing the rear swivel and the cleaning rod so I've got those on order.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Chilean 1895 that looked a lot like that... gave it away as a gift to my bro...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I suppose sometimes a stock blank just gets run through the normal cycle even when it is a cool crazy piece like that but it makes you wonder if it was set aside and worked special to use as some kind of award or presentation to some big shot ?

Whoever the guy who ground of the top of the rieciever was should have been clubbed . yeah , I know he was just some flunky but on this rifle it is a double sin .

Still a very cool piece
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful Rifles
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
7X57MM?

Edit: It's a beauty btw
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful!

I picked up an 1896 Swede two or three years ago. And while not as clean as yours and doesn't have as much tigerstriping it's a beaut and as you said the craftsmanship is something else. I need to get it out and shoot it more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
7X57MM?

View Quote

7.65x 54 ARG

I have one I bought as a teenager. Didn't know any better at the time and got one that had been bubba'd.

The real question for the OP is, do you have the proper bayonet?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice trade it looks almost new.

On your 4th pic down. The metal clips that hold the guard on is broken on mine and I've tried searching with no luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

7.65x 54 ARG

I have one I bought as a teenager. Didn't know any better at the time and got one that had been bubba'd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
7X57MM?

7.65x 54 ARG

Yeah  picked up one at the flea market years ago. Crest was ground though. It's in my foot locker-o-knives/bayonets.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah  picked up one at the flea market years ago. Crest was ground though. It's in my foot locker-o-knives/bayonets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
7X57MM?

7.65x 54 ARG

It was standard procedure for the crest to be ground off both the rifles and bayonets when they were surplused from the government armory. Very few were ever imported with it intact.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Gorgeous rifle OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#24]
That is one gorgeous rifle, OP !
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm still kicking myself for letting one get away at auction a few years back. It had an intact crest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#26]
19th century masterpiece
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's mine, finally got the cleaning rod and rear swivel replaced. It's a lot rougher than 1srelluc's, and the stock's mismatched, but it's got a good bore and it only set me back $200.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top