Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 10:42:59 AM EDT
Hey guys, just got my first Enfield yesterday. I'm looking to pick up some ammo to get shooting. I found some brass Privi Patisan 150grn  SP. Does anybody know anything about this ammo? Corrosive? Will it shoot well with the Enfield twist rate?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I treat all my foreign ammo, all the ammo for my Brit, Indian, Ausie, Enfields and Mausers as corrosive. Get an Enfield funnel and some hot sudsy ammonia, wash the barrel out, dry completely, and oil well and you should be OK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
PPU/Prvi Partizan is new production commercial ammo.  It is noncorrosive.  It's also the least expensive brass cased reloadable .303 ammo you can find nowadays, but it's good quality, so it's a good choice.  But the PPU 150 grain SP doesn't shoot as well in my Enfields as the PPU 174 grain FMJ or PPU 180 grain SP.  (174 grain FMJ is the original military loading.)

Aim Surplus has a decent price on the Prvi 174 FMJ: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP303FMJ174&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+.303+Brit+174grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=25

As stated above by AlvinYork, most surplus .303 ammo will be corrosive, and most will be non-reloadable.  

Unfortunately, since .303 surplus has dried up, loading your own .303 is really the only economical way for a new Enfield owner to shoot a lot these days.  Otherwise you're stuck paying $0.75 to $1+ per round for new production commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
I picked up 500 rounds of the 150 grn for a decent price. If nothing else, I'll save the brass to reload. Hopefully it'll shoot OK.

I'll try the 174 next time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Reloading is the way to go. If you've only got the one .303, just neck size the brass, it'll last much longer. Prvi .303 is good to go and is a great source of quality brass too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
PPU is what I shoot, hunting etc. great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Berdan primed brass isn't really non-reloadable anymore.  Tulammo is importing Berdan large rifle primers these days and RCBS makes a Berdan depriming tool that works pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Reloading is the way to go anymore.

PPU is good ammo, buy a box or two and see how your rifle likes it, Enfields generally prefer flat base bullets over boat tails.

For surplus keep an eye out for Greek HXP, 1960's FN and South African all really good NC ammo and still around to be found in small quantities. Avoid Pakistani POF or surplus Iraqi and < 1950 British unless you can get it at component prices.

Save the standard size Berdan primer  brass for reloading, kinda a extra pain but at the cost of Boxer brass well worth reloading.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
As others have said, Prvi ammo is safe and noncorrosive.

In what little I've tried their .303 (only the 180gr soft point and 174gr fmj, never seen the 150s around here) I found it to be acceptably accurate for the price. I've not put it over a chrony, but it feels more stout than Winchester's 180gr load and a good bit hotter than Remington's.

The brass is great to load with and I've had no trouble simply neck sizing the cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top