Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2014 2:32:20 PM EDT
I'm pretty new to Mosins, but thought this was neat. It's a Finnish M39 dated 1944. It has the circle R stamp, indicating a Remington receiver, which means it was made sometime between 1915 and 1918 or so.
Neat looking rifle, perfect bore, original war-time stock. Needs a few things, including a stock repair at the infamous M39 crack area, but no biggy.
Here are a few pics:

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking rifle! I hoping to add a M39 to my collection here before to long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a really nice rifle. Love the stock. My m39 -a '42 Sako- is one of my best shooters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a really nice rifle. Love the stock. My m39 -a '42 Sako- is one of my best shooters.
View Quote

My '41 sako is one of my best lookers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet score!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i dig it!.. i notice you are lacking the sling keeper.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3223&idcategory=17
View Quote

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got one myself. Interesting rifles.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. A Remington receiver recycled onto a 91/30 barrel, and a Finn capture at that. Nice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting. A Remington receiver recycled onto a 91/30 barrel, and a Finn capture at that. Nice.
View Quote

? 91/30 barrel?

A finn capture???

Ok let me sort you out

1. Its a purpose made m39 barrel - produced at sako in Finland

2. The only "recycled" barrels used were B contract barrels from Belgium. Also a VERY few made by Tikka. Those were left over m91 barrels that were adapted for use in the m39.

3. A Finnish capture doesn't apply here. Only applies to Russian acquired weapons. IE 91/30s, Dragoons, and m91. This rifle was designed and manufactured in Finland - It was especially designed to use existing receivers that were already available due to the massive amounts in the Finnish military. Receiver manufacturing is the hardest part of the rifle to make.. and given that the Finnish had adapted the mosin nagant platform since 1919/1920 it made logical sense to keep running with stuff that already worked.

4. More in-depth reading:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_mosin_nagantm39.asp
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

? 91/30 barrel?

A finn capture???

Ok let me sort you out

2. The only "recycled" barrels used were B contract barrels from Belgium. Also a VERY few made by Tikka. Those were left over m91 barrels that were adapted for use in the m39.

3. A Finnish capture doesn't apply here. Only applies to Russian acquired weapons. IE 91/30s, Dragoons, and m91. This rifle was designed and manufactured in Finland - It was especially designed to use existing receivers that were already available due to the massive amounts in the Finnish military. Receiver manufacturing is the hardest part of the rifle to make.. and given that the Finnish had adapted the mosin nagant platform since 1919/1920 it made logical sense to keep running with stuff that already worked.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

? 91/30 barrel?

A finn capture???

Ok let me sort you out

That's very cool, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

? 91/30 barrel?

A finn capture???

Ok let me sort you out

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

? 91/30 barrel?

A finn capture???

Ok let me sort you out

I've been wondering who made the B barrels.  Obviously they came from Belgium, but did FN manufacture them, or someone else?  I've yet to come across a definitive answer.  My M39 has a plum-coloured B barrel.  It has the Imperial Russian markings and Austro-Hungarian markings as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Just wanted to update with a couple of new pictures. I repaired the crack in the neck by drilling down from the tang and inserting a wood dowel with wood glue. Seems very strong, and there's no more movement in the crack whatsoever.
There are other lines here and there that I'm not sure whether they are cracks/potential cracks or not - Are there any replacement stocks available? I wouldn't mind putting a newer, nicer stock on to keep this as shooter without worrying about future stock cracks, even though this is the original war-time stock apparently.
Also, is there any downside to leaving it as is with basically no bluing left? Has anyone had one reblued with any success?
Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
stocks can be found.. but really i would keep it as is. Sako rifle with a sako stock. Looks good and these stocks are very durable. What proably happened was a person shot the hell of it with loose/un-tightened action screws.

also i can not stress this enough:

DON"T TOUCH THE METAL FINISH!!!!

Many were refurbished by the Finnish; its hard to find a wartime Sako or any other m39 with that look. Leave it be.. money in the bank. You keep her oiled and carried for you can have a firearm in "the white" forever.

I know many a collector and my self included that would spend a little extra for a nice "ive been there and saw that" - over a pretty Finnish Redip.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
My Dad got an 1891 Westinghouse Mosin in a trade once.  By the time I got done researching the stamps/marks, I believe the history was as follows:

1) Part of the batch made for the Czar but never delivered due to the Revolution.
2) Went to Russia anyway as part of Archangel.
3) Captured by the Russians and arsenaled.
4) Made it to Finland
5) Stamped into the "Home Reserves" (?)
6) and *possibly* made a detour to an Eastern Block country - there was a stamp that I couldn't really figure out, but may have been from one of the Baltics.

And it was all original - never been cut down.

Traded it for an M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My Dad got an 1891 Westinghouse Mosin in a trade once.  By the time I got done researching the stamps/marks, I believe the history was as follows:

1) Part of the batch made for the Czar but never delivered due to the Revolution.
2) Went to Russia anyway as part of Archangel.
3) Captured by the Russians and arsenaled.
4) Made it to Finland
5) Stamped into the "Home Reserves" (?)
6) and *possibly* made a detour to an Eastern Block country - there was a stamp that I couldn't really figure out, but may have been from one of the Baltics.

And it was all original - never been cut down.

Traded it for an M1 Carbine.
View Quote

if it was marked NK - it was delivered and accepted into Russian control.

When the country's government collapsed the contract was terminated.

To save the behinds of Westinghouse / Remington the US government purchased the undelivered rifles.

If it was US issued it would have US proofs on the barrel shank .

Our troops didn't really use them till the 1920s; though you are correct about archangel; but at that time a very a small amount issued. They were later (in the 1920s) sold to the civil populace for pennies on the dollar.

Here is the most liekly history of your fathers westinghouse.

1. Delivered and accepted to Imperial Russia

2. Issussed and saw service in Russia.

3. Captured or acquired during or post WW1 by a Baltic nation.

4. Sold to Finland in the 1920s

Would love to see pictures of this rifle. If it has US proofs than its a jewel and prooves my initial theory wrong.. which is a very good possibility if he was able to trade it for a m1 carbine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, no NK.  I still have the pics - most potato quality but some clear ones.  Can't post them right now - work blocks my picture site.

Shoot me your email address by IM and I'll send them if you would like.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope, no NK.  I still have the pics - most potato quality but some clear ones.  Can't post them right now - work blocks my picture site.

Shoot me your email address by IM and I'll send them if you would like.
View Quote

pm sent.

Edit - pictures received. Sent you some additional information about it. After looking at the pictures.. your father stole that m1 carbine if this was a straight up trade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool m39s post here.

I love the worn looking rifles.

Here are two of my favorites......both in straight stocks with the second being originally made with it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
stocks can be found.. but really i would keep it as is. Sako rifle with a sako stock. Looks good and these stocks are very durable. What proably happened was a person shot the hell of it with loose/un-tightened action screws.

also i can not stress this enough:

DON"T TOUCH THE METAL FINISH!!!!

Many were refurbished by the Finnish; its hard to find a wartime Sako or any other m39 with that look. Leave it be.. money in the bank. You keep her oiled and carried for you can have a firearm in "the white" forever.

I know many a collector and my self included that would spend a little extra for a nice "ive been there and saw that" - over a pretty Finnish Redip.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/14767461304_ef8973e24c_b.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it alone. If it gives me problems some day, I'll worry about it then.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]
RIG grease for long term storage - ballistol for field work / short term (your shooters). - Do this and you should never have a problem.

Corrosive ammo (milsurp ) - flush with water , follow up with solvent - follow up with oil/grease
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifles, folks. My M39 is built on a rather boring '35 Izhevsk receiver, but Dad's ended up being an antique Chatellerault.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a soft spot for the M39 as well, my 1944 VKT(bottom), My 1941 Sako(middle) and my 1943 Tikka(top)
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had a few but ended up selling them all. Don't like them that much for some reason. Nice one OP, not sure I would call that the original stock though, it is wartime.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
How would I determine if it is original? It's a War-time, and the rifle is a '44? Sako rifle, Sako stock.
I took a couple more pictures today.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How would I determine if it is original?
View Quote

My point exactly, I wouldn't claim it to be original if you have a question like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top