Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 9:25:01 PM EDT
Found this for $350. good deal?

Has bayonet, sling and cleaning kit and still packed in cosmoline. States it still in the original importer box from over 15 yrs.
No other information other than Metal and Wood in excellent condition.

Anyone else have these? You like it? How's reloading for it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We like pickshurs.
View Quote

Ya me too but unfortunately thats all the website has for it. I'm thinking being imported so long ago perhaps it's a good gamble
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Has bayonet, sling and cleaning kit and still packed in cosmoline. States it still in the original importer box from over 15 yrs.

View Quote

For that much better be mint all matching with crest.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I called and asked for pics. They said this was one of the very early imports, put hands on it and said all matching serials. Everything including sight hood appeared intact and looks brand new with handling marks of course and crapfull of cosmoline. Ugh
I should get pics this evening. But will likely go for this one from the description thus far provided
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Any thoughts at this point or is it all depending upon pics? Hopefully coming soon
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's pretty much full on high retail...  Glad I picked up a couple when they were everywhere for $150.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thoughts? Buy it.
C'mon, you obviously want one, I'm guessing you're probably more of an "accumulator" than a "serious collector" (since you didn't specify which of the 3 major variants this one is), it's in v. nice condition, the price isn't ridiculous, and it has all the extra bits.
Can you find one cheaper? Yes, certainly. How long do you want to spend looking for one that's priced "right"? And the cheaper one isn't necessarily a better gun. Meanwhile, you can be having fun with this one, which is, after all, the whole point.

They're easily as much fun as any other short '98 Mauser: they balance well, feel slick and well-made (because they are), and are generally accurate with solid recoil when shooting milsurp (full-power) ammo.
Reloading is just like any other 7.92x57 / 8mm Mauser: simple, with a plethora of good recipes from light cast lead plinking loads to full-power.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
i had a m48.. bought it when they were $130 from aim.

Was a fine rifle; though i prefer a czech or german mauser action.. Just seems smoother for me. Though nothing wrong with a yugo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics from vendor

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thoughts? Buy it.
C'mon, you obviously want one, I'm guessing you're probably more of an "accumulator" than a "serious collector" (since you didn't specify which of the 3 major variants this one is), it's in v. nice condition, the price isn't ridiculous, and it has all the extra bits.
Can you find one cheaper? Yes, certainly. How long do you want to spend looking for one that's priced "right"? And the cheaper one isn't necessarily a better gun. Meanwhile, you can be having fun with this one, which is, after all, the whole point.

They're easily as much fun as any other short '98 Mauser: they balance well, feel slick and well-made (because they are), and are generally accurate with solid recoil when shooting milsurp (full-power) ammo.
Reloading is just like any other 7.92x57 / 8mm Mauser: simple, with a plethora of good recipes from light cast lead plinking loads to full-power.
View Quote

You are partially correct. I guess you could say i am in an "accumulation"  mode being i have recently gotten my c&r
Since I was a young child i have always been fascinated by The world wars. While my focus was more on the strategy, the battles, ships, armor, aircraft now that I'm into shooting my AR platforms it was natural for me to eventually gravitate towards the old stuff.
I'm totally enamored with the rifles i have and look forward to learning their history.
So call me an accumulator or call me a collector in the making as the seed has been planted. As i learn more i will look to collect anything within my budget that interests me or that as i learn more is something not so common but in working order.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
i am the same why.. its the reason i sold my yugos for something with a richer history.

Yugos are nice.. but these never saw combat in anything other than the Yugoslavia issues of the 1990s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
M48 is still my favorite "shooter" mauser
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
by the way, the guy felt it was a M48A version. I'll find that out when I determine if the floorplate is stamped or milled. I ordered it after checking GB and not finding any that seemed to be as nice as this one. Can't wait to get her. Only bad thing....Cosmoline....I'm learning to both love and hate it.
Still have to get it off my SKS so I can go shoot it, just haven't made the time to spend half a day cleaning a rifle. Perhaps this weekend i'll be cleaning two :-)

(God I love having my C&R, nice having stuff come right to you)
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Your receiver is marked M48, the 48A is marked 48A, the 48B is marked 48A.  I can't put my hands on my Yugo book but I recall the 48B had stamped floor plate and trigger housing, the 48A was stamped trigger housing and milled floor plate.  The M48 may have what is called sticky bolt syndrome, this was resolved with the M48A's.

M48BO with Syrian crest

M48BO

M1924

Random Yugo's

Most of these are from the 90's when 8mm was .03 a round.  Still have a few battle packs to shoot up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Honestly. I don't think the price is bad, considering.

If you want one, I think you did OK. I like mine just fine. It isn't as smooth as my Yugo K98 or RC K98. but it's still a nice rifle and a good shooter. Certainly better quality than what you'd get in a commercial rifle at the same price.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
sold one earlier this year for that much.

clown
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]
yep 300-350 is about the market for a clean m48.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't say i care to have all these leather ammo pouches that are piling up. Don't see me ever using them for anything :-/ still anxious to get her. See just what jewel i may have happened upon. Glad she's first run 48 vs 48a or b.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the one I bought years ago. Mine was all matching and had never been issued. I think they were about $180 and that was probably 14 years ago. $350 sounds like a really good price. It was my first C&R and still my favorite to shoot
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like my M48BO. Bolt is a little sticky though. Might look for an A or B hearing that those don't have that problem.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really like my M48BO. Bolt is a little sticky though. Might look for an A or B hearing that those don't have that problem.
View Quote

My m48 when i had it had the same problem. 1 reason i sold it. IF it was me.. i would save just a touch more and get a RC 98k.. has history and is german slick.

Or pay the exact same like this user did

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?373169-1941-J-P-Sauer-Russian-capture
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp came in today!

Excited....a little unsure...both.

Probably just because, bayonet sheath looks like someone just filled it with cosmoline. in fact, I'd always wondered why people complained about cosmoline. all my previous rifles were just lightly done. This one....CAKED.

So..off to read up on how best to remove it, quickly I hope without harming wood or metal.

disassembly of everything, every single part even bolt release has more cosmo than a thanksgiving turkey. So gonna strip her down as far as I dare. I hope youtube is friendly. Bolt...either everything is glued together or there's a magic trick I've not yet learned :-) so time to read up on disassembly of it as well.

First glance...dark but nice wood. Metal looks absolutely new. Numbers on stock, bolt arm and if I recall barrel all match. (Bayonet and sheath both have different numbers sigh) Green crap over all leather...may just give it to my wife to scrub the hell out of and soap it up or something...then recondition with the green can stuff (sorry don't recall it...baristol??)

Some dents, dings here and there....strap is very pliable but looks black (dirty or just color dunno...it's old though and appears well used) Looks like someone half ass attempted to carve MC in the stock just above the butt plate. Very thin cuts almost like they did it with a razor. Will be interesting to get her all clean and take pics...maybe you guys can give me more history on what you see..who knows...maybe she's been used some

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Well hours and hours of cleaning. FINALLY done. removed absolutely every little pin and piece, amazing how cosmoline can still be hiding in stuff you don't remove even post boiling water on the metal.

Only issues I've seen is the upper wood guard has a crack, I might need to wood glue it next time I take it off, I may have cracked it getting those damn bands back on, they are TIGHT. I've seen videos where they just slide right off. Not mine. :-(

She does cycle beautifully though :-) Cant wait for range time later today.

Well here she is.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifle! I love the M48s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you disassemble the bolt? I think mine was caked with cosmoline inside the bolt also. The stock still has cosomoline bleed out after it gets hot and I've baked it in a hot car a couple times. They really covered them in it. The only rifle I've bought that was worse is the Yugo SKS.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#26]
please tell me you didn't touch the stock...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only thing I did was used a heat gun to slowly pull out cosmoline. why you ask?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like its stripped vs the original pictures . Could be lighting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll take more close up picks later and post.

Man what a day!!! Went out with my brother and my oldest son. Been waiting to shoot my k31

K31 is a dream!!! Shot dead on was ringing the eight inch gong at 200 with ease!
Shot the Mauser m48 it was nice but the buck a round was in my head wow. Kept my brass definately gotta get some dies and see whats a good powder for it would imagine i can load for 30 per round probably just guessing. Got plenty of h335 :-) but maybe need to find something else that might work across one or more of my others k31, sks, m48 and my nagants.

The m48 i was getting used to hit the gong a few times from 20 rounds i gotta sight it for sure

91/30 amazingly is absolute dead on at 200 ding ding ding just like the k31

My m44 was just fun as all get out the fire breather :-) everyone stopped and looked after first round :-)
Amazingly it too was a ringer on the gong only issue i had to am about four feet right :-)

Needless to say a few i need to adjust. Is there a tool that is multi purpose sight tool that will do most if not all my milsurps?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top