Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 12:36:34 AM EDT
I have a 1943 CYQ P38. Matching, not a Russian capture. No import stamp. I've been offered a 1890 Trapdoor Springfield infantry rifle for it. Good trade, or no?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would imagine it depends on the condition of both, finish and wear ect.
Has the Springfield been sporterized or anything like that? Is it all original? Did it go through any of the updating processes?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 1873 Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70, I also have a true numbers matching BYF P38 1944. If I had to give one away it would be the trapdoor. The trapdoor is worth more money if it is clean, has the cleaning rod and the cartouche's are in good condition.  If it was produced in 1890 it would be a model 1888, does it have the bayonet?. Check this site and run the serial number.  

Trapdoor info
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Springfield appears to be pretty good condition. Not sporterized, infantry rifle length. No bayonet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Monetarily, it's probably a good trade, but they're two very different firearms. Do you have any collector interest in other old black powder breechloaders - like Martini-Henrys or Rolling Blocks? If not, it's just going to be an oddball in your collection.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]

I would have already made the trade if the TD was in good shape. There is just something about the TD I find appealing. Much more so than a P-38.

Early US martial arms in good shape are not getting any cheaper either. Depending on condition money wise you simply can't go wrong.

That said condition is everything.

M1884 TD ..... Made in 1889. Picked it up this past June.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top